SASS Wire Forum

Show me your swinger

Tennessee williams

Ya know how Randy St. Eagle always has that "shoot the rope" side match at the TN state match.  I think you ought tie a piece of string on a sucked clean drum stick and swing it....you can call it "hit the drum."  It'll give ya something to do with all them spare chicken legs you got on the range! :lol:

Kajun

26 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

This video shows a "no shoot" stationary target in front of the swinger. Last weekend we put the stationary target behind the swinger and made the swinger the "no shoot" target.

I like it

22 minutes ago, Ranger Dan said:

I like the one that rolls a clay bird across the range, engage with shotgun :)

can't find a video.

Those are called rabbits in sporting clays.   It’s a special clay with a heavy rim so it rolls well.  Can be thrown/rolled with gravity or from a trap.   Shot one once that rolled off a ledge/cliff, we called it a lemming.  

3 hours ago, Chickamauga Slim said:

TW, our Texas Stars will be up and running soon!

You have a Texas Star that is a swinger!?  

We found that garage door track makes for good moving targets setup.  Can be set for side to side or target movement toward or away from the shooter.

We used a shooter operated handle for release but easily set with a SG knockdown type release as well.

Howdy Cowboys,

I built (but haven't taken any pictures) a "rabbit" for our club. It is simply a long trough at a 45 degree angle. A pin goes through holes at the top of the trough to hold the clay in place. A cord goes to a knockdown and pulls the pin out when the target goes down. The pin is held in place with a spring clothes pin. Works well and is nearly foolproof.

Rev. Chase

The swinging bear idea was stolen borrowed from the Liberty Prairie Regulators in Ripon WI.  It is fairly easy with the rifle at distance.  When you advance down range and use pistols you are close, and it is moving really fast.  The no shoot bartender is also an idea from Ripon.  If you shoot the bartender, it is a 5 second penalty and you have to sign and date the hole.  Only 2 holes so far.

Fun stuff!

Chancy

I like the 2 SG KD's that launch a bird..... but, ya gotta knockdown  BOTH the KD's and THEN engage the birds in the air.

P.S. - I like Chief Rick's setup.

..........Widder

I don't have a picture of it, but when I shot a SC State match years ago they had a Texas star mounted on a railcar.  When you shot the actuator plate (rifle) the star started spinning while the railcar started rolling towards you, and there was a spot with a dip in the rails.  That was fun.

Sage Creek Gus, of the Big Fork Buscaderos, and also the shooter in this vid, likes to design and build contraptions for CAS. He calls this one the Whirling Dervish. 

1 hour ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

We found that garage door track makes for good moving targets setup.  Can be set for side to side or target movement toward or away from the shooter.

We used a shooter operated handle for release but easily set with a SG knockdown type release as well.

Hope to see it again at Eldorado ( Nevada State) next month!

Hells Comin 

and here are the flying pigs targets at the Up the Creek Gang (Lake Charles, LA).  When a given pig is hit, it falls back about 30 degrees and then automatically gets reset before it comes up again.

2 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Sage Creek Gus, of the Big Fork Buscaderos, and also the shooter in this vid, likes to design and build contraptions for CAS. He calls this one the Whirling Dervish. 

I think my "pards" would hang me, but I like it. Lot of thought put into that!

2 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Remarkably good shooting, given the movement variation.  

Here is a video taken at the Deadwood Marshals club in Sorrento, LA with a "running" turtle.

The turtle starts moving when the rifle is picked up.  The speed of the turtle can be adjusted to run faster or slower.

TW we have 3-4 sets ( 8ft lengths) of light rails in the barn, I had built a powered cart for it at one time, but everything else is gone now.

Imis

We normally pull it up to about a 3:30 and it'll swing to 9:30 . It'll go up to about 2:00 and 10:00 but it's pretty fast when pulled up that high.

With the counterweight added up top, it swings for a really long time and made it much easier to set.

20220823_200119.thumb.jpg.ef3858a58a770dc6da22cb72498ca825.jpg

18 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I don't have a picture of it, but when I shot a SC State match years ago they had a Texas star mounted on a railcar.  When you shot the actuator plate (rifle) the star started spinning while the railcar started rolling towards you, and there was a spot with a dip in the rails.  That was fun.

Talk about taking one for the team. Here’s the star on the rail car… I was REALLY new. It has great entertainment value… I clear the star but miss the BIG ASS DUMP target. You’ll want to watch til the end. 

Big hugs!

Scarlett

Archived