SASS Wire Forum

Purchased an Italian clone .45-70 Sharps and looking for some vernier sight help please

Quiet Burp

Purchased an Italian clone .45-70 Sharps and looking for some vernier sight help please.

Not sure whether to go for the 3" long range soule sights or the 4" long range soule sights?

I have shot a friends Sharps and it had the 4" sights and my hat kept on knocking the sight forward.

47 minutes ago, Quiet Burp said:

Purchased an Italian clone .45-70 Sharps and looking for some vernier sight help please.

Not sure whether to go for the 3" long range soule sights or the 4" long range soule sights?

I have shot a friends Sharps and it had the 4" sights and my hat kept on knocking the sight forward.

Try using Matthew Quigley's technique:

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxvO3ht1LvrPqYvIc0dpSZXldwW9KsQHSK

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

How far do you plan to shoot?

Most likely (for the time being) no more than 300 metres.

But I don't want to get stung with getting a sight that I can't shoot longer distances (you that saying "no never going to do that" until you do :) )

They ain't cheap down here, looking at close to $600 for a Pedersoli sight.

Disclaimer as well: .45-70 is a new cartridge for me, using these types of sights will also be a  new experience (besides the limited few shots I have had with a mates rifle).

7 hours ago, Quiet Burp said:

Most likely (for the time being) no more than 300 metres.

But I don't want to get stung with getting a sight that I can't shoot longer distances (you that saying "no never going to do that" until you do :) )

They ain't cheap down here, looking at close to $600 for a Pedersoli sight.

Disclaimer as well: .45-70 is a new cartridge for me, using these types of sights will also be a  new experience (besides the limited few shots I have had with a mates rifle).

I have used Lee Shaver long range vernier sights on all my 1874 Sharps rifles for many years and love them, his long range models will get you well past 1000 yards with the 45-70. 

I just went through this decision process and decided on the Shaver long range for my 45-70.  It is also going to be helpful to learn how to read the markings on the sight.  I called Lee Shaver and talked to him personally and discussed my sight choices.  With the expense of the sights it only made sense to have a sight that would shoot further if I ever decided to do that rather than being handicapped by a sight that wouldn't shoot that distance.  Turn your hat around or take it off to shoot it. 

If you want to maybe do a 1000 yards someday buy the best sights you can.  I have problems with the sights from Pedersoli as I can't get them to repeat settings easy.  Montana Vintage Arms (MVA), Kelley Sights, Baldwin Sights aka Machanical Accuracy, Hoke Long Range Sights, and Lee Shaver Gunsmithing are sights I have used.  I like the MVA Soul XLR with a Hadley eyediscs.

I’m n my opinion either MVA or Kelley. The Kelley sights are beautiful!

I bought a rifle with Pedersoli sights. I would up taking them off & putting Kelley on. The Pedersoli sights just did not work well. 

Learning your sights & trusting them is key to LR shooting. Ammo is equally important. Must be very consistent 

11 hours ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

I have used Lee Shaver long range vernier sights on all my 1874 Sharps rifles for many years and love them, his long range models will get you well past 1000 yards with the 45-70. 

Get the best longest range sights you can afford.

You can shoot short range with long range sights, you cant shoot long range with short range sights!

I have Lee Shavers on my Pedersoli Boss Sharps (long range) and on my Pedersoli 1886 (medium range) and am very happy with them.

I messed up and bought the medium originally for my Sharps and so had to buy the 1886 so I could put the medium on that and buy a new long range for the Sharps:P

Slightly different topic, has anyone used a "Wm. Malcolm" Telescopic Riflescope or a different one on their Sharp?

3 minutes ago, Quiet Burp said:

One more question, my rifle just has a blade sight. Is a front sight replacement pretty much mandated?

YES, Globe or Lollipop front sight inserts

10 minutes ago, Quiet Burp said:

One more question, my rifle just has a blade sight. Is a front sight replacement pretty much mandated?

Absolutely, Lee Shaver front globe sights equipped with a built in level, the farther out you go the more important that level will be!

26 minutes ago, Quiet Burp said:

Thanks everyone, looks like the long range are the way to go.

@Major Crimes any issues with the company sending to Australia?

No issues what so ever (although postage and the exchange rate make it expensive).

Just make sure you have the right sights identified for your rifle as returns are a bugger with the price of postage.

I have even rung and spoken to Lee just to get it right.

This is the one I got.  Sharps Rifles - Long Range Soule - Lee Shaver Gunsmithing  sorry I don't remember which base but tell Lee (email or phone) what rifle you have and he will know.

My Pedersoli already had a globe front sight so I didn't bother changing it out. I don't have a level so if you are going to get one get the level too, same principle it works close and far.  Front Sights - Lee Shaver Gunsmithing

Hadley Eyepiece as mentioned by Pee Wee is almost mandatory in my view, as is a Globe front sight with the appropriate inserts.

One other thing: I presume you are reloading your .45-70. As mentioned, consistency is critically important in all aspect of you reload, from primer to powder to bullet.

I found out the hard way with a 405 grain lead bullet I didn't weigh before loading it in the case. The cut-off sprue obscured the hollow in the base of the bullet, so it was lighter than it should be. When fired, it was WAY off target.

Lesson learned.

The hard way.

At a match I was winning. 

12 hours ago, Quiet Burp said:

Get a globe front sight with inserts and spirit level. 

Archived