SASS Wire Forum

To Nashville!

Lawdog Dago Dom

Today at about 7:00 AM, our USAF vet son left Chicago for Nashville. He loved the people, but just could not deal with the progressive political climate anymore. Not being close to his older brother and his family will be tough, but he is eager for a new start. His college courses transferred to a college down there and he got an apartment from a prior scouting mission a couple of weeks ago.

He loves the small mom and pop joints where you can get a cold beer and a great cheeseburger. A necessity we instilled in him:D.

The only downside is the travel time from our house in Missouri to his new place is about the same as it was to Chicago.

But at least on the way to visit him, there are more opportunities to catch a CAS match or two!

And now he needs a cowboy hat!

The wife and I left Chicago in 1977 and moved to Chattanooga, TN.  We love Tennessee!  No state income tax, reasonable home prices, gun friendly, and wonderful people.  

At first the "ethnic food" scene (such as a good pizza) was pretty grim, but now, anything that had been available in Chicago, is available here.  When we first moved, I remember asking the guy behind the meat counter at the grocery store where the bratwurst where?  He had no idea what a bratwurst was.

We like to tease northern friends about the difference in culture.  I'm fond of telling them that in Chicago, the word "barbecue" is a verb, in the South, "barbecue" is a noun.:D

You should start planning now to attend Wartrace next year. Match should be the weekend after Memorial Day. You could also attend the Shoot Out at Rabbit Ridge Memorial Day Weekend in South Haven MS. Two world class matches and in between you get to visit family.

Don’t forget the Black Gold Shootout in July and the clubs in Bowling Green, KY and Oak Ridge, TN and Cleveland, TN!!  There’s a TON of good shootin’ in this area!!  North Alabama also comes to mind!!

Dom!  Make sure the young’n looks me up!

5 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Nashville is a neat city.   I hope he likes Country music.

You could say that. Straight out of the USAF he went to see his brother in Chicago, who took him to dinner at Second City Comedy Club. He was telling his brother a funny story from the Air Force that was overheard by the waitress. She asked if he would repeat the story for her boss, and he did. The boss said he had a great delivery and offered him to come to improv workshops and learn the art of improvisational comedy. After completing the workshops he was hired by Second City, and started doing live improv group shows (the one about the blind proctologist had tears running down my face from laughter). Covid shut the place down, so he and another comic started doing podcast interviews with up and coming performers, and got Tom Dreesen to sit for an interview. A full time college student, he continued to work on the podcast. When the Covid veil was lifted he got a job bar backing at Windy City Joe's or Joe's on Weed St to the locals. Joe's is a big country music venue and show case new acts, plus Blake Shelton and others pop in with little announcement. He told the boss at Joe's he would like to do a podcast from the bar, interviewing the bands as they arrived. Boss thought it was a great idea and the Windy City Joe's podcast was born and ran for about two years. He met numerous country performers as well as the managers and folks behind the stage. Many band managers told him they loved his interviews, but he really needed to get his interviewing/PR talent to Nashville. After wrestling with this idea since last year, he left this morning.

So yes, he does like country music!

At least he’s not in Chicago any longer and you don’t have to go there anymore. ;)

I do not like visiting Chicago, but man, there is some good eatin’ there. 

Was just on Broadway a couple nights last week.  Hope he’s a fan of short frayed shorts, tan legs, and cowboy boots or it might be tough on him….

Very clean establishments, good fun and great music.  Great food as well.

12 minutes ago, JD Lud said:

Was just on Broadway a couple nights last week.  Hope he’s a fan of short frayed shorts, tan legs, and cowboy boots or it might be tough on him….

Very clean establishments, good fun and great music.  Great food as well.

A dreadful fate, for sure!

Archived