SASS Wire Forum

Hat options 1860-1864

Johnny Knight

Hi all, working on getting into classic cowboy with a particular  goal in mind.  Ideally, I'd like to put together a kit that would be appropriate for civil war as well as cowboy activities.  The idea is for a Texas partisan ranger, i.e. an irregular unit.  Since the members often supplied their own equipment, I'm trying to track down hat options that would be appropriate.  The classic boss of the plains didn't arrive until 1865, so the question is what were they wearing in Texas preceding that?  Any suggestions, or better yet sources to see the options would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Johnny

Any headwear that's War of Northern Aggression timeframe accurate should work.

I recommend Clearwater Hats. They do pre-1840, Civil War, and Cowboy Era. The styles are authentic and not something you see everyday.

http://www.clearwaterhats.com/old-west/

This maker is big with the Civil War guys.  I've spent time with him talking historic military hats.  He really knows his stuff and makes authentic period hats.

Dirty Billy

Dirty Billy's Hats (dirtybillyshats.com)

The idea is for a Texas partisan ranger, i.e. an irregular unit.  Since the members often supplied their own equipment, I'm trying to track down hat options that would be appropriate

"Tacos"

"Yikes! Cultural Appropriation?"

I'm thinking  you boys need to read some history.  Plenty of sombreros went north with the cattle out of Texas on the head of a Gringo.  Common hat for anyone in Texas during  the 1860s and much later.

Howdy Levi,

You must have missed that I had my tongue firmly implanted in my cheek. As cowboys and shooters, we qualify among the most politically incorrect citizens around. Do you really think that any of us is overly concerned with cultural appropriation? We shoot real bullets at targets that are occasionally designated as "redskins", Mexicans, etc. all in the name of an interesting stage description from history or western movies. 

By the way, I'm well aware of the history of the West in the mid 1800's. 

Rev. Chase

Taken on the XIT in Montana,  Bill Fough 1900.  The Texas XIT had extensive holding in Montana at the time.   Fough obviously pretty proud of his Mexican and Californio tack and trappings.  The Northern Trail connected Buffalo Springs to the XIT range on Cedar Creek, 60 miles north of Miles City, Montana. That trail was used from 1886 until 1897. Over a period of 3 months, some 10,000 to 12,500 steers were moved from the Yellow Houses 1,000 miles north to Cedar Creek. There they would graze for two years before being shipped to Chicago.  The XIT outfit kept all their cows and calves in Texas, sending the steers north. They sent five herds to Montana in 1894 alone, all two-year-old steers.

xit.jpg

Documented Texas Ranger photos.  Guessing they ate tocos as well.  Tongue firmly in cheek.

See the source image

See the source image

Boom!

IMG_1276_Moment(32).jpg

Some really good photos here to help makes costume choices and the like. Thanks all. I did day work moving cows in Siskiyou County of Northern California in the late 90's and into 2015; many of our riders came in period correct wear and gear depending on the weather. They had been "at it" a lot longer than I had and it was fun to hear the stories about their gear and why they chose that style. I came to the party a bit late [I was in my early 60's]. I'm in my mid 80's now and enjoy the chance to "dress up" and "play cowboy " now, but with guns. My horsemanship days are over [and I miss that too]; a famous quote comes to mind, " There's nothing like the outside of a horse for the inside of a man." Ronald Reagan a great U.S. President.

Levi, I know what you mean. I miss the smell of the horse and leather; I miss the feel when horseback and i miss the animal. By the way, nice lookin' roan. My last horse was a blue roan, his name was Bleu.

2006 Triathlon.jpg

Two good hat options although may be the felt could be better for being 1865 period correct. (but who really owns just 2 hats :rolleyes:

Sunbody straw.  A planters hat.  Also been around a long time.  A Custer favorite on the plains.  And the Rodeo King felts,  which are a decent hat for the money involved.

Rodeo King with a 5" brim

image.thumb.jpeg.2d311b22cfaaf014ded3732f15f8bdd8.jpeg

6" brim Sunbody in 100+ temps.

image.thumb.png.5515e3cb10039f5618edc669ff34d332.png

Still, hard not to like Texas :-)

image.thumb.jpeg.cf6f6523c9f0086d1a52b7505091d68d.jpeg

I like the Appy you're riding, Levi. Had a dark bay with a well spotted blanket ; rode him for years, lost him to genital cancer. Broke my heart. My Appy's have been great horses, but I think my quarters have had more "cow". My last one, Bleu, was the best I ever had. Hang in there, pard, hope to meet on the range someday.

They are interesting horses.  But aren't they all?   Ours are Foundation Appys from the old herd.   Not very cowie like you say.  But we have ran buffalo with our two big geldings and that snow flake, roan mare.  That surely can make a guy's heart quiver. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f0646639953f5dbec3f4b07d8977d61a.jpeg

Mostly I just like their BIG personalities and the natural camouflage is always fun trying to find the darn things in a pasture :rolleyes:   The serial photo bomber in person right there!

image.thumb.jpeg.823531502f1a0fe09e62d0205bc2d376.jpeg

Archived