SASS Wire Forum

Talk about lite primer strikes!

oak creek martin

This is some once fired 38 special brass that I picked up at a garage sale. Started sorting some of the brass and notice that all of the PPU brass had extremely light primer strikes. I am assuming that all of this ammo was fired out of the same firearm. No proof of that just an assumption. Wondering why the PPU ammo fired with such light primer strikes and the other brass had normal primer strikes. Just thought it was very odd to see such light strikes and have the round go bang!

2D1AA23B-FD70-4747-BB73-3A8002F19412.jpeg

Although a primer can have an indication of a light strike due to the appearance of the primer, if that 'shallow' dimple was hit very hard,

it would be enough to set the primers off.

We often associate a shallow dimple as being a light strike, due to weak springs, etc.......

But if the strike is a hard strike, even though the firing pin didn't protrude as much as we prefer,  it can still go 'bang'........ ESPECIALLY if the

primers are fully seated.

..........Widder

13 minutes ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

Or on the other hand, they went bang and reseated the primer and flattened the strike a little. Check the ring mark around the firing pin dimple.

That would be my synopsis also.

I know for sure the owner did not pull the bullets and dump the powder. But that makes sense that it is a hard hit just not a deep indentation on the primer. It just seems kind of weird that the other brands of brass that was in this large assortment all had very deep and normal looking firing pin indentations. 

Maybe picked up accidentally at some range when the original owner collects his brass?

How much of it is there compared to the total quantity of brass? Maybe someone else "provided" the PPU?

And just to be safe,  maybe you should try and see if those primers are still live... Just for peace of mind.

4 hours ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

Or on the other hand, they went bang and reseated the primer and flattened the strike a little. Check the ring mark around the firing pin dimple.

Agree +1

All the primers are fired. There is a definite dome on the primer. And the PPU brass is approximately 1/3 of the total brass amount. 

PPU (Prvi Partizan) loads a lot of odd calibers and I've shot a fair amount of PPU of various calibers and never had a misfire.

On 8/21/2022 at 7:54 PM, SHOOTIN FOX said:

My thoughts as well.

Looking at your photo, all the primer hits are not lite.

Look closely and you can see the primer has been flattened out from the recoil against the recoil shield.

Looking at the right two cases I can see a half moon line where the primer made a crater and the primer lifted around the primer strikes.

Then this lifted ring was flattened out during recoil.

These are not lite hits.

6 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Sure look like pressure signs to me!

That looks like high pressure distortion. Those primers would be indicating at best +p pressures if not dangerously high pressure. If my hand loads looked like that I’d be backing the charge down a couple tenths! 

As others have stated - not light hits.

Light hits leave no distortions. I would also agree (not that it matters, but this is the Interweb), that the pressure looks to have been pretty high.

Phantom

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Just curious.......... But have you checked the 'flash holes' on those pieces of brass to ensure the holes are correct and not under sized.

..........Widder

I drill all mine out to an .125"...but only after cleaning the primer pockets.

:mellow:

6 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I drill all mine out to an .125"...but only after cleaning the primer pockets.

Great minds think alike..... ;)

I check mine also.   A few years back, I got a BUNCH of .357 SIG brass that had an undersized flash hole,  and of course, I had to drill them open. 

..........Widder

11 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Great minds think alike..... ;)

I check mine also.   A few years back, I got a BUNCH of .357 SIG brass that had an undersized flash hole,  and of course, I had to drill them open. 

..........Widder

I also check for wall thickness uniformity. If the cartridge walls are not uniformed, the bullet won't line up properly with the chamber...all hell breaks loose then!!!

IF we know that the rounds went BANG, then I think we can assume the cases, flash holes, primers, etc., were OK.  Beyond that we can only speculate.  It does seem odd that some of those primer hits were functional.  But we don't know what propellants were used in the fired rounds.  Some double base powders, such as Power Pistol, will ignite from a fairly weak primer flash.

If there were FTF issues, I would focus on the firing gun and fix the light hitting, rather the ammo -- but keep in mind that the ammo  appears to have worked OK.  

Load up some of the cases with your powder, loads and primers and see if they fire properly in YOUR guns.  

And BTW, I agree w/ Phantom -- checking flash holes should be a standard procedure for competition ammo.  

For 9 lousy cases that weren't fired by the OP, why worry about it? If they are a bother, just chuck em and use the rest. :lol:

Archived