SASS Wire Forum

The Things Our Partners Do To Us.................

Calamity Kris

Uno and I have discussed adopting another dog, German Shepherd to be exact, after we return from a lllloooooooooooonnnngggg overdue vacation.  We both agreed it was not fair to any dog to adopt them, then leave for a week.  Both agreed...............

Uno comes to me last night and says, "I've volunteered to foster a dog for a couple of days, this weekend."  "The owner is an alcoholic that has relapsed and is in really bad shape.  Their friends have put them in the hospital and they need someone to take care of the dog, a really sweet Dalmatian."  I slowly replied. "OK.   How long are we going to have the dog?"  "48 hours" he replied.  "They're going to bring her by tomorrow.  Oh, she's really good with cats too."  "OK" I replied again.  "48 hours from tomorrow is Monday afternoon."   "Oh, that's right huh.  Well, they promised no longer" he defended.  "As long as this doesn't end up like the horse situation where we agreed to two weeks and it ended up three months, I'm OK with that."  {Not that it would make much difference at this point........}

A woman shows up this afternoon with Josie, an AKC Dalmatian.  She is 4 years old, well behaved but hasn't had much guidance in a while.  She wandered around the house a bit, then Uno took her for a walk.  He stated she started pulling at first but fell right in line after a few remedial lessons.  She ignores the cats and they have calmed down some. 

Now Uno is making comments like "where should we put her bed" and "She has to eat after us since we're the alpha's".............

I think he misses having a dog around.   I get the feeling she will be a member of the family by tomorrow afternoon................. as long as we can keep her off the sofa.

22 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Life is better with dogs!

I've had dogs, (multiple at the same time), my entire adult life. The lowest hound count was 2. We decided back then, (about 2014 or so), that when they were gone we wouldn't get any more. We now have 4.

22 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Life is better with dogs!

I'm in complete agreement.  I miss having a dog around as well.  We hadn't planned on having a dog right now because of other things going on in our lives.  I guess The Lord decided Josie needed a good home instead.

It's funny how things happen when you least expect it.  I get the feeling she misses having a responsive human around as well.  Uno went into the garage for a couple of minutes and Josie stood at the back door and whined.  She really appreciates the attention we're paying her as well.

I said to Uno, what's the harm in having a Dalmatian and a German Shepherd..................

Now to teach her the bed ISN'T hers and neither is the sofa............

Dalmatians may be the most loyal and protective dogs there are!  If they choose you to be their “person” you’ll have a shadow beyond your imagination!

Harley and then Traveller imprinted on Schoolmarm and were near her for their entire lives.  She was certainly secure for over twenty years!!  Each of them lived thirteen years and more. Harley was nearly fifteen and sturdy until his last day.

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Dalmatians may be the most loyal and protective dogs there are!  If they choose you to be their “person” you’ll have a shadow beyond your imagination!

Harley and then Traveller imprinted on Schoolmarm and were near her for their entire lives.  She was certainly secure for over twenty years!!  Each of them lived thirteen years and more. Harley was nearly fifteen and sturdy until his last day.

Aussie's are called velcro dogs for a reasons I can verify. They are also the clown breed of the K-9 world :lol:

Well, we had an interesting twist happen last night.  The woman who dropped Josie off with us texted and told us a Dalmatian rescue agency had a waiting list for dogs like Josie.  When could they come pick her up...............

Overnight, we discovered she has some behavioral issues.  She was never re-enforced with the word "NO".  We had a REALLY difficult time getting her to understand that she was not allowed to be on the bed.  After 7 or 8 tries at sleeping on the bed, we finally had to close the door to the bedroom, which also kept the cats away from their food and litter boxes.  {We did try to coral the cats on the inside and dog on the outside.  That didn't work.}

I'm now beginning to lean towards surrendering her to the rescue agency.  She needs someone who has experience with the breed and time/energy to work with her.  We don't have either right now.  They also vet all their families to ensure she goes to a good home.  I will miss her but her needs come first.  We'll see what happens when Uno wakes up.

Never had one, but recall neighbors getting one at the height of the 101 Dalmatians movie popularity,   Very high energy and not particularly biddable, maybe even as stubborn as that box of rocks.  The bed issue would be a deal breaker for me.

I like dogs, but prefer a cat as a house pet.
Two of my daughters have multiple dogs and I'm impressed with how well trained they are.
Dogs have their people... cats have a staff.

We are now on our last cat.
After he goes for the Long Walk, no more pets.
I have gotten too old now to bond with a young 'un only to leave him behind when I reach the end of the trail.

Navy daughter is again back in D.C. and we want to spend a month there next May.
That is very hard on a pet left at home with the grand kids.

The longest I have gone without a personal dog was a year in Vietnam, but we had lots of dogs running around the barracks areas.  Maxine, Little Shi-, Dumdum, Big Red, Suzie Q, and literally dozens of others.  The first two were sort of my dogs.  They slept under the stairs and never came upstairs, but when I came down they were always there.

The biggest shock was when I came home from a business trip and found a Bloodhound Puppy that my Wife and Daughter found irresistible, that in addition to two large Labs.  We were just getting the house ready to go on the market, and for every thing I fixed, the pup wrecked something.  At the end of it all a great dog for many years who died too young. I still miss him.

Another twist.......

Uno was picking up breakfast at our local mom and pop diner when the foster lady called him.  They chatted for a while about how things went during the night and how Josie was behaving.  Uno explained things like Josie wouldn't leave my side.  She cries when I go outside and don't take her.  She wags her tail every time she sees me etc.  After the woman heard Uno's details, the said "It sounds like Josie is bonding with your wife."  Uno though about it for a second and cautiously said, "yes it does".  She said, "If you want to adopt her, you would have first shot, since you are already fostering her."  Uno thought about it for a minute and asked "Can we?"  She said she would have to check with the Dalmatian rescue folks but since we have rescued other breeds in the past, she didn't see why they would have an issue with it.  She asked for a reference.  Uno gave our pet sitter, who lives in the area and has sat for us on many occasions.  Uno came home all excited.  He gave me the story and said "can w....do you want to adopt her?  We can break her of the bed sleeping thing.  She's already behaving better."   I couldn't say no at that point.  

The owner's friend brought over some of Josie's food and toys, as well as her medical records.  She was really pleased to see Josie doing so well.  She said Josie looked really comfortable and happy.  

Introducing Josie:

Josie.thumb.jpg.e52ee523ca48428d6ce5745f0d1db769.jpg

Dogs are the best companions in the world. I’ve taken in and fostered dogs my whole life. I don’t anymore. To many people cause irreversible behaviors. I’ve trained hunting and security dogs for over 40 years and while you love them, some behaviors can’t be changed. My newest is a German shepard from Europe, much better than an American shepard. I’ve had him since he was 8 weeks, he turns two tomorrow. He is only now ready for training beyond basics. Getting them at 8 weeks and dedicating yourself to there upbringing will be more like raising a child and make a better companion. Good luck, love training and patience is what it takes

10 hours ago, bgavin said:

I like dogs, but prefer a cat as a house pet.
Two of my daughters have multiple dogs and I'm impressed with how well trained they are.
Dogs have their people... cats have a staff.

We are now on our last cat.
After he goes for the Long Walk, no more pets.
I have gotten too old now to bond with a young 'un only to leave him behind when I reach the end of the trail.

Navy daughter is again back in D.C. and we want to spend a month there next May.
That is very hard on a pet left at home with the grand kids.

I guess we'd have to agree to disagree on that one. My wife loves cats I pretty much think they are a pestilence. We have been happily cat free for a few years now, hopefully we keep it that way.

JHC

Just now, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I pretty much think they are a pestilence. We have been happily cat free for a few years now, hopefully we keep it that way.

JHC

I don't like cats, but if people who do would KEEP THEM IN THEIR OWN HOUSES, I wouldn't care. The problem I have is those who let their cats run loose, and leave food out for all the strays. And of course Animal Control won't do anything about them.

8 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I don't like cats, but if people who do would KEEP THEM IN THEIR OWN HOUSES, I wouldn't care. The problem I have is those who let their cats run loose, and leave food out for all the strays. And of course Animal Control won't do anything about them.

I pretty much don't care about outside cats. I just don't want them in my house. The best cat we ever had was an outside cat

JHC

6 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I pretty much don't care about outside cats. I just don't want them in my house. The best cat we ever had was an outside cat

JHC

If the cat would stay in it's own yard, I wouldn't have a problem there, either. I have a problem when they come into my yard to crap, climb on my deck, which annoys my dogs, climb all over my Jeep it when the top is on, and pee on the seats when the top is off. 

My cat is a house and yard cat only.
Never goes outside the yard... has not figured out he could climb the fence.

As to crap... I have endless amounts of dog shit in my yard.
Day after day after day after day after day.
If it was legal, I'd shoot the damn dog, but it's not legal so I shovel endless amounts of shit into the gutter.
They shit in the yards, shit on the sidewalks, shit in the parks, shit at the beach, even shit inside Home Depot.

We run a fan in the bedroom window year round to drown out the noise of barking dogs all night long.
I didn't post here to pick on animals, but it seems this is now fair game.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

I didn't post here to pick on animals, but it seems this is now fair game.

My apologies, I didn't mean for it to be taken that way. I do love my dogs, and respect other people's desires for the pets of their choosing.

Sometimes my bad attitude shows itself without my intending it to. 

We may be on our way to curing her of sleeping on the bed.  One of the things we received yesterday was Josie's blanket.  I washed the covers to the dog beds so they wouldn't smell quite so much like German Shepherd and put her blanket on top of the dog bed in our room and tossed a familiar toy on it.  I guided her to it at bed time and rewarded her for going over and lying down.  We had two instances of her jumping on the bed early on but she slept in her bed with her blanket all night!!!  As long as we can keep that up, we will have success.

Archived