SASS Wire Forum

MLB

Utah Bob #35998

If you follow the NL, what do you think of the DH now? 
I’m still undecided. :rolleyes:

I like it. 

I was never in favor of it but I was thinking of other sports like hockey and soccer, where the goal tender has only one job

and does not participate in the offense, an I’m starting to understand the concept. 

Nope.  A wise old man once told me "Baseball is played by NINE men.  NINE!" just as he was signing my paycheck.  If it's gonna happen at all, leave it in the AL*.  

Now, that man on second during extra innings... well, that just plumb ain't right.  :(

*Side note:  At an A's game, I once had the Former Missus Hardpan convinced that one requisite of being an umpire was that you had to be named AL.  League and union rules ~ and it was right there on their hats...!  ^_^

image.jpeg.b3338b6a65b18df01a17b83529925d06.jpeg

53 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I was never in favor of it but I was thinking of other sports like hockey and soccer, where the goal tender has only one job

and does not participate in the offense, an I’m starting to understand the concept. 

And football is all specialized positions.  That's by design.  Baseball is a game of tradition.  I'm not a fan of the ghost runner in extra innings either.

16 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

They need to eliminate the DH, intentional walks, and unlimited changing of pitchers.

I don't mind intentional walks, but make them throw the pitches.  You never know, there might be a wild pitch, passed ball, or struck batsman.  

Don't try to speed it up, don't try to find ways to drive up the number of runs in a game because you think it's more exciting.  A 14 inning 2 to 1 game can be more fun and more exciting than a 12 to 11 game of nine innings.

NO DESIGNATED HITTER!!

NO RUNNER ON SECOND IN EXTRA INNINGS!!!

NO WALK WITHOUT PITCHING TO THE BATTER!!!!

NONE OF THESE RIDICULOUS INFIELD SHIFTS!!!!!

NO LIMIT ON PITCHING SUBSTITUTIONS!!!!!!

PUT THE DAMNED GAME BACK LIKE IT WAS WHEN RUTH AND COBB AND DIZZY DEAN PLAYED THE GAME!!!!!!!

:FlagAm: :o :rolleyes: :angry: :FlagAm:

2 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

They need to eliminate the DH, intentional walks, and unlimited changing of pitchers.

Pitchers must pitch to at least 3 batters now.

I’m glad that they’re both in the same page. Either DH or no DH but it should be the same in both leagues. It’s about time!

I don't object to the DH.  Gives some of the older players more time in their career.  I DO NOT like the California man on second thing, however.  As far as an intentional walk is concerned, I don't like it with or without actual pitches.  Make the pitcher pitch and the batter bat.  

35 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

No DH.  Never seemed like baseball to have a DH.  Plus, some pitchers have been pretty good hitters.

Ruth was a pitcher.  ;)

I’m watching a 3A game as I write this.  I’m not a fan. They have the electronic ball and strike deal and a timer on the pitcher.  I’m sure it’s wonderful for the ADHD crowd and the instant gratification folks.  They even have a rule against making a pickoff throw more than twice during a single at bat!  If the pitcher throws to first a third time, it’s a balk!! Even if the pitcher breaks with the rubber to move the runner back, IT’S A BALK!!

This is plain and simple BS!  A total bastardization of the game!!  This isn’t baseball!!  I don’t know what you call it, BUT IT DAMNED SURE ISN’T BASEBALL!!

I don't mind the shift.  It's all part of strategy.  I've seen it work for the defense, and I have seen it bite the defense in the butt when a batter hits it where they ain't.

I don't like a timer on the pitcher, nor do I like something electronic calling balls and strikes.

If a pitcher can't make more than 2 pick off throws, then the runner shouldn't be able to move more than 4 feet off the base, or make more than 2 attempts, it fake attempts, to steal.

I hate the guy on second in the 10th inning. Rick Manning an ex MLB ball player, gold glover and now a tv announcer asked “Do you know how hard it is to get the first hitter on second base with no outs?

He obviously doesn’t like it and neither do I. 

I'm a Tampa Bay Rays fan and an AL fan. 

With that said, I've never liked having a DH for this main reason, it gives a pitcher a "free pass". When a pitcher overtly intentionally hits a batter, the ump will (sometimes) warn the pitcher/team. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. If the offending pitcher had to face the opposing pitcher, he'd think a little harder about intentionally pegging a batter as he's going to have to bat also. Most hit by pitches are accidental, brushbacks/too far insiders, some are not. The Rays and Yankees (Red Sox too) have had many altercations with intentionally hit batters over the years, with the Yankees usually starting it. Did you ever notice that the first pitcher to intentionally peg someone usually doesn't get ejected, it's always the pitcher that retaliates that get booted. 

The runner on second is just plain dumb. There are plenty of ways to shorten the amount of time it takes to play the game...Stop granting time to the batter who seems to want it every other pitch so he can play with his stupid batting gloves is one way.

I don't mind the shifts too much, the Rays do it all the time. Every time that they shift left or right, I'm always amazed that the batter doesn't just bunt it down the baseline of the completely empty side of the field opposite of the shift every time, but they don't. It's a gimme runner on base

One thing that I would like to see outlawed (just because it looks stupid) is the "base running glove"...you know, the one that looks like one of those giant foam #1 hands that you sometimes see in the crowd. I can't believe that they are still legal.

I also think that the amount of jewelry worn by players on the field has gotten out of hand. Seems like a bunch of Mr. T wannabes out there. Watching a pitcher tuck his tow chain of a necklace back into his jersey every pitch gets annoying after a while. 

There, I feel much better now.

I had to go about half-way through the thread before I figured out what the heck you guys are talking about.  I thought MLB were those guys burning down cities the past two years.

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

One thing that I would like to see outlawed (just because it looks stupid) is the "base running glove"...you know, the one that looks like one of those giant foam #1 hands that you sometimes see in the crowd. I can't believe that they are still legal.

I'd like to see a size limit on them, but the basic idea of using them to help prevent broken, dislocated, and otherwise damaged fingers is worthwhile.

I do get a kick out of how batters are "arming up" with greaves, elbow cops, pauldrons, and the like.  Catchers chest protectors remind me of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

I can understand the batter wearing a hard helmet, but WHY do the coaches at 1st and 3rd wear them?  It they need them, shouldn't the defensive players, especially the pitcher, have them?

1 minute ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I'd like to see a size limit on them, but the basic idea of using them to help prevent broken, dislocated, and otherwise damaged fingers is worthwhile.

I do get a kick out of how batters are "arming up" with greaves, elbow cops, pauldrons, and the like.  Catchers chest protectors remind me of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

I can understand the batter wearing a hard helmet, but WHY do the coaches at 1st and 3rd wear them?  It they need them, shouldn't the defensive players, especially the pitcher, have them?

SHUT UP JOE!!  They’ve already screwed up the game enough!!!:rolleyes: :lol:

6 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

In 2007 Mobile Coolbaugh, 3rd base coach for the Tulsa Drillers, a Rockies affiliate team, was struck in the head by a line drive during a game. He was pronounced dead an hour later. Helmets were made mandatory in 2008.

5 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

In 2007 Mobile Coolbaugh, 3rd base coach for the Tulsa Drillers, a Rockies affiliate team, was struck in the head by a line drive during a game. He was pronounced dead an hour later. Helmets were made mandatory in 2008.

Thanks, Bob.

That reinforces my point that defense players, at least the infield and especially the pitcher should be wearing helmets.   How many times have we seen a pitcher catch a screaming line drive in the head?  

34 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Thanks, Bob.

That reinforces my point that defense players, at least the infield and especially the pitcher should be wearing helmets.   How many times have we seen a pitcher catch a screaming line drive in the head?  

I’m sorry!!  Next we’ll be using rubber bats, nerf balls, and wrapping all the players in bubble wrap!!  

I’ve seen, heard, and participated in this discussion as a player, a parent, a coach, an umpire, a league president, and as a state level director for a national youth baseball organization.  

Batting helmets, chest protectors, soft, spongy baseballs, and numerous other “safety” equipment have been experimented with and it’s usually been discovered that they, often as not, create more problems than they solve!  

How many times have you seen batting helmets fly off or flop around and obscure or completely block a player’s vision or become a projectile during play?  I see it nearly every inning in major league play. While I agree that the helmets often protect the player, they also have caused injuries to the wearer and to other participants in the game as well.

Be careful!! Very careful what you try to add to the game!!  Often, you do more harm than good!!  It’s like the little kid, bundled up against the cold, wearing so much warm clothing that he can’t move, so he can’t even play in the snow that he’s outside to enjoy!

12 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Be careful!! Very careful what you try to add to the game!!  Often, you do more harm than good!!  It’s like the little kid, bundled up against the cold, wearing so much warm clothing that he can’t move, so he can’t even play in the snow that he’s outside to enjoy!

Cmon Randy.

21 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

PUT THE DAMNED GAME BACK LIKE IT WAS WHEN RUTH AND COBB AND DIZZY DEAN PLAYED THE GAME!!!!!!!

I wish I could ask my Dad what he thought.  He'd be right.

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Thanks, Bob.

Nope, can’t agree with that.

Netting for the fans was overdue. Batters and coaches should have helmets. But to saddle all the defense with helmets is I thin unnecessary and would be too distracting for them.

4 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Thanks, Bob.

Short answer, not very many times. 

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I've seen 2 this season.

Really? Wow, I’ve seen pitchers get hit this year but none in the head. :o

John Olerud wore a bathing helmet. I don’t remember the details of why, but he played for several major league teams.

35 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

John Olerud wore a bathing helmet. I don’t remember the details of why, but he played for several major league teams.

When John Olerud was with the Mariners, the M's picked up Ricky Henderson for a short time at the end of his career.   Seeing Olerud wearing his helmet while playing first base, Henderson (without a hint of sarcasm) said "I used to play with a guy in Toronto who did that".

Allegedly, Henderson had no idea that the guy in Toronto was John Olerud.  

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Those must have been some tough after game showers.:o:P

PS - I know what you meant.;)

2 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

He wore a Batting helmet due to suffering a brain aneurism when he was 20.

Archived