SASS Wire Forum

Guns of August. You should GO!

Scarlett

Guns of August is a SUPER FUN and different match than most of us will attend.  The cowboy range is on the side of the hill and the targets are down the ravine and sometimes on the other side - see pictures. Targets are CLOSE and plenty big but shooting from above is a little challenging - at first. Fast fun stages by @LASSITER#2080! The Ohio Cowboys are like southerners…they KNOW hospitality and put on a good time with AMAZING FOOD by @Boaz  @mean gun mark @Blue Eyed Drifter .  @Seven Mile Tom @Wilbur G. Rexroat 12515@Deadwood Stan Sass 7275 and others whose names are escaping me work very hard to make sure everyone is having a good time. You will have a full belly at the end of the day and SMILE on your face. It’s not an expensive match, either! 12 stages - about an hour north of Cincinnati.  Nice camping area, too with electric.  Put the Second weekend of August on your calendar. 

They have a FABUOUS Boy Scout troop that will take (push) carts up the hill to the stages for tips! :D  The match officials also have Golf carts and will ferry folks who might have difficulty with the hill up to the stage. @Bad River Marty, SASS #23076 uses crutches to walk and shot the match VERY WELL! If he can do it, ANYONE can! :wub:

Tommy and I will be there in 2023!

Hugs!

Scarlett

640A4479-BC4A-4157-9225-1BF8D6DDAB4B.thumb.jpeg.e0f4285678fee431c6228b25121e57a1.jpeg9DA4405D-26A0-46AC-A431-4A53A5225D92.thumb.jpeg.a09614e7ad18a248bbd647ef4e7cc7f3.jpeg771A1B6F-8C66-4B7B-887E-EEE87852E62A.thumb.jpeg.79ec305f82f24ccf4314b68a8fbf061e.jpegA38E4C6C-3E5E-4369-AD7E-71F111B08660.thumb.jpeg.f1d58f8d788128dc6f7f0d165d26ccf8.jpeg6156F6EA-D6AE-440A-B930-AFEB923C89D3.thumb.jpeg.3adf9c68710ec22052366642b8d20efe.jpegF0B7CA87-B0E4-4E3E-9785-7143356D4BAA.thumb.jpeg.67f059fdc4019a216bbc8bb74b6fdf16.jpegCD31C79B-620B-4DE5-B3AB-23817793ECCA.thumb.jpeg.2668d1dd8fbb946ddd19343b4bdea194.jpeg886C31DA-B44A-4FC5-B2F1-4FF9FD3229C3.thumb.jpeg.efbd7efc74dfab31885339ed4db6201c.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Big-un Bruce said:

Here is a link to the pictures I took on side match day and of the awards. Sure was a fun time!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189283872@N03/albums

When I click on the link it takes me to your page but does not show me any photos. How do I get to the photos without logging into Flickr?

The link should work and I just tried it on my wife’s iPad which worked. The link takes you to my albums. Once on that page, click on the album you want to view.  Here is a link to the Guns of August album. 

2022 Guns of August

Wow, does that ever bring back great memories.  Not sure of year, maybe 2002 or 2003, Miss Ann (my late wife) and I journeyed up to Middletown for Gun of August.  It was such fun.  I was to assist our friend Handlebar Doc in running the "gunfighters posse".   Tex, Lucius, Marty, Max, Ace, Lass, and many more working their way to now, "best-of" in gunfighter categories .  I think perhaps Doc and I were only ones on Posse not shooting gunfighter.  I do remember as FCD, the terrain was challenging to us BP shooters.  The stages/props were so unique to beautiful area that seemed so hidden from the "city" ever so close.  People were so nice and great host.  Lots of things going on with Tex  filming for SASS, Doc had classes, and Coyote Calhoun was there with SASS trailer.  Bet it is just as exciting a match 20 years later.

Petey has always enjoyed this match.  I never got to go until Jack B Nimble retired from CAS.  We hated to miss this year but figured we might ought to keep our covid at home.  Save our spot - we will be back.

GOA is always a great place to shoot.  Been going there for many years and have always enjoyed the competitions and friends. Lassiter and company always write and run great stages.  Always a great fun and enjoyable stages.  I recently retired and moved to Florida but will someday make it up there in the near future.  Can't go wrong going to GOA.  I highly recommend it.  Adios and have fun.

4 hours ago, Big-un Bruce said:

The link should work and I just tried it on my wife’s iPad which worked. The link takes you to my albums. Once on that page, click on the album you want to view.  Here is a link to the Guns of August album. 

2022 Guns of August

Thanks! They both worked for me this time.  Great Photos thank you for posting them.  GOA had been on my want to attend list for years.  Maybe one day.

Come on out to GOA and find out what us Ohio folk have known for years. Mean Gun Mark's " Social" is the finest in all of SASS. The shoot is challenging but fun. This was our 9th GOA. 

1 hour ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Come on out to GOA and find out what us Ohio folk have known for years. Mean Gun Mark's " Social" is the finest in all of SASS. The shoot is challenging but fun. This was our 9th GOA. 

I was hoping to make this shoot but couldn't. I've never shot Outlaw downhill.;)

It's been a while since I shot Guns of August or any other match for that matter.  However, it is still in my memory as one of the best matches I ever participated in and is run by some very capable and knowledgeable Cowpokes.  Their monthly matches are worth a shoot if your in the area as well (2nd Saturdays if my memory serves), but money spent on shooting Guns of August will well be worth it and a great value in cowboy action shooting.  Although the range is on a hill, most of the range is in the shade and that's a good thing in August.

On another note and as a partially disabled cowpoke that doesn't get around well anymore, I've got to say that Mad River Marty is my hero!  On crutches and I believe he still finished in the Top 10!  An inspirational performance in my eyes!  Marty and his family are also great posse pards and good folks all around.  Great to hear that Marty is back out there shooting and he obviously hasn't lost his touch either!  Well done my friend and all the best to you and yours!

Also worth mentioning even though I haven't seen him in a while now, I really like Lassiter's mustache!  Tom was a good friend and mentor to me when I was shooting and one of the finest Gunfighters and gunsmiths out there!  Anyway, I don't know how long he has now sported the mustache, but I really like it and think it adds real Cowboy Character to the man in black!  Anyway, congratulations to all the Big Iron's club for another successful Guns of August shootout and good luck and good shooting to all.

post-edit 

I just went back and checked the overall scores and Marty actually finished 11th overall, maybe not the Top 10 as I previously thought, but still an outstanding accomplishment to say the least.  Good on you Marty!

20 hours ago, Mister Badly said:

I was hoping to make this shoot but couldn't. I've never shot Outlaw downhill.;)

this is a great range to shoot outlaw style at.

Archived