SASS Wire Forum

You are going to Africa

Alpo

The rifles and calibers quoted were current for the period.  IMO lever guns barely make the cut for rifle, have several  and I wouldn't trust one for dangerous game.  Double or a bolt gun if I'm potentially betting my life.  I suppose it is what you are accustomed to.

11 hours ago, Alpo said:

Bzzzzzz. Disqualified, on three points.

1897 is a pump not a lever. 1897 was not made in 10 gauge. The rules of this game said rifle, not shotgun.

how about a 1901 Winchester lever shotgun in 10ga? Assuming you are taking a shotgun (I do believe that rifle was the original parameter however)

Let's face it guys, writers with few exceptions don't know what they are talking about. Note the reference to TR's '95 in .406 (not .405). I don't believe I would take any lever action rifle as an only weapon to Africa, yes, the .405 Winchester could compete, but with the stock drop, the recoil is brutal. And as mentioned above, the 38-55 is pretty anemic for anything in Africa, with the exception of the duiker or dik-dik. :P

That said, I do believe a good shooter could down a hyena with a 38-55, after all, it's said that the .303 british has accounted for more elephants than any other caliber. 

6 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

how about a 1901 Winchester lever shotgun in 10ga? Assuming you are taking a shotgun (I do believe that rifle was the original parameter however)

Actually, I figured he meant an 1887, which was both lever action and came in 10 gauge. But that's not what he wrote. :P

You stated she was not going on safari nor hunting the big 5. Based on this I would assume the rifle was for camp meat and/or personal protection in case they get caught unawares by a lion. Elephants, Rhinos, and Cape buffalo are easy enough to avoid.

Based on this information I would take a Winchester 1886 in 33 WCF. Toss up if I would take the takedown model or rifle with the 22" barrel. 33 WCF is more than capable of dropping a lion as well as anything I would hunt for camp meat.

Why the 33 WCF. It is flat shooting and hard hitting. With a 200 grain RN pushed at 2200 fps the maximum point blank range is 175 yards. This means I can sight the rifle in at 150 yards and the bullet will always impact within a 4 in circle at any distance out to 175 yards as long as I do my part. More than adequate for everything I would likely take a shot at.

Winchester 1886 in .40- 72, it is the heavy bullet version of the .40 Caliber cartridges in this Gun... It has a bigger bullet at higher velocity than the .38-55...

Jabez Cowboy

5 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I'll stick with my original choices: go with what you're really familiar with.  That alone could save your life

And what part of lever action did some of you guys miss?  And what part of 1920, too?

oops

My 1886 then also 45/70.

1866-4.JPG

On 8/18/2022 at 10:07 PM, Alpo said:

she "levered in" a second shot, so it's a lever gun, not a bolt.

Maybe, maybe not.  I've seen several authors use "levered" to mean "work the action."  Things like, "He levered the SLIDE,"  "She levered the HAMMER BACK," and other such stupiditities (sic).  No reason she couldn't have "levered" the bolt closed.

Archived