SASS Wire Forum

44 Russian and black powder...

flatapple

I am going to load up some rounds with black powder for my Uberti 1872 open tops in 44 Russian.  This will be my first for the open tops, I have loaded my 1873 and shotgun with black powder and love it!  

My plan is to use 20 gr. of FF in Starline brass with a magnum primer using a 200 gr bullet...Does this sound about right?

As long as you get a bit of compression of the powder it should work.

Sounds like you are good to go. I shot 44 Russian for a good many years with BP (and subs) , my load was around 19 grs. under an Accurate Molds 219 gr. bullet.

Lit off by Mag primers most of the time. Because that's what I had a stock of for several years.

Only reason I am not still shooting that load , I got tired of the dealing with two kinds of brass , and went to 44 Special only.

Rex :D

Nah.  I shoot 44 Russian in my Open Tops alot.  I prefer enough powder (don't have a clue what it weighs) for light compression and 160Gr RNFP.  Primer doesn't matter so long as the Main Springs will set 'em off.  Basically the same load with APP but no compression, same same bullet.  Mucho FUN!!

The key is there should be no gap between the base of the bullet and the powder and of it is true black powder some compression is usually also recommended. It is best to look at volume and not weight as different BP weights are not the same.

In my avatar I’m shooting 44 Russians with 180 grain lrnfp over 1.3cc of 2FFg GOEX. AS Cowtown says don’t load by weight but by volume. With GOEX 1.3cc of 2FFg can weigh up to 1.5 grains different from lot to lot. 3ffg , even a bigger variation. You need enough powder to get compression and 1.3cc by volume of any powder brand or granulation will give you that.  

I shoot 44 russian with black powder too in my open tops. 19 grns with a card wad on top of powder, some lube on top of that with a 165 grn projectiles for pistols and 180 for rifle. Seat bullet on top using up the gap in the case with a little compression, works great.

Howdy

My reloading notebook says I load 1.3CC of Schuetzen FFg under a Big Lube 200 grain Mav-Dutchman bullet in Starline 44 Russian brass. 1.3CC of Schuetzen FFg turns out to be about 19.5 grains.

There is no need for Magnum primers, Black Powder is easier to ignite than Smokeless, I have been using standard primers in all my Black Powder cartridges for years.

pmGBQjjaj

I shoot my Black Powder 44 Russian ammo in a pair of original Smith and Wesson New Model Number Three revolvers.

pnIVU3B0j

pojp5d3pj

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy Pards

Consider me as a good example of a bad practice.

I tried black powder and Pyrodex in a vintage S&W New Model #3 in 44 Russian. Pardon the expression but D***!

Gummed up that beautiful machine with its close tolerances so quickly. Two cylinders and it was time for a field strip and deep cleaning. Didn’t last even for short matches.

I use very light loads of smokeless. One load is 3 grains of Titegroup with a 160 or 200 grain cast lead bullet. Suspect a similar load of Unique or Bullseye would give similar results.

The old girl digests them with no complaints.  Don’t shoot it that often. If I damage the gun and injure myself … I need only look in the mirror to see the guilty party.

I DON’T recommend this to others. A risk I take upon myself . Only occasionally shoot this iron in a match. Go to irons are Rugers and a smokeless powder era Colt single action. Again, only use the S&W occasionally and even then spell it during the match with a Ruger or the Colt.

Keep on the Sunny side!

Adios

Fort Reno Kid 

FRK: What bullets did you use with BP, it can make a big difference.

• 3 weeks later...

I basically figure out where the base of the bullet goes in the case add powder to between 1/16 to 1/8 inch higher than the base of bullet then seat bullet.  You can stand a pencil up next to a bullet standing on table and mark where the crimp grove is on the pencil.  Add powder to case put pencil on top of powder if the mark is a bit above the top of case you should be good, if mark is below mouth of case add more powder

18 minutes ago, Cpt Dan Blodgett, SASS #75655 said:

I basically figure out where the base of the bullet goes in the case add powder to between 1/16 to 1/8 inch higher than the base of bullet then seat bullet.  You can stand a pencil up next to a bullet standing on table and mark where the crimp grove is on the pencil.  Add powder to case put pencil on top of powder if the mark is a bit above the top of case you should be good, if mark is below mouth of case add more powder

I have used a wooden dowel, but yes, a pencil will work.

I shoot .44 Russian Long (.44Special) in my 1871 Open - Tops , I use 30gr. by weight of Goex 3F under a 240 gr. SWC or a 228 gr. RNFP in Star - Line brass...

I have a good amount of compression, and can run 6 stages with ease... with-out any fuss...

Jabez Cowboy 

Archived