SASS Wire Forum

An unexpected memory

Utah Bob #35998

Watching tv today another Big Phatma commercial came on hawking some dermatitis drug. Just as I was about to flip the channel I saw this clip. A happy guy and his dog frolicking dermatitis free.

I recognized the location immediately. The Cape Florida lighthouse at the state park on Key Biscayne. I was a ranger there for the first 7 years of my career. It was red brick when I was there. They renovated and whitewashed it in the 80s. 
Popular spot for commercials and movies. They filmed some Miami Vice episodes there. And back before it was a park they filmed some footage of They Were Expendable there on the northwest side. 
:)

C922FE56-E595-416A-9207-BEFE74EF0FBE.jpeg

B82249BE-D03B-4A3C-B5A2-9510584A1F8D.jpeg

9A635873-73D9-4FDD-BA6A-5AF878155D4B.jpeg

3 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Yup! Great bike.  Had the Street Scrambler version CL 450. The same except for pipes & bars.

A friend had the CL. Much lighter than the CB. Great for town. Not so much on the Interstate.

I was set to but a Sportster but…the refrigerator broke. And then the wife announced she was pregnant. 
Adios to my carefree bugs-in-the-teeth days.

It was getting too dangerous to ride in Miami anyway. ;)

22 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

A friend had the CL. Much lighter than the CB. Great for town. Not so much on the Interstate.

I was set to but a Sportster but…the refrigerator broke. And then the wife announced she was pregnant. 
Adios to my carefree bugs-in-the-teeth days.

Makes a couple of us who are older and less carefree, though with gas prices and very little traffic out here, a bike would make sense for the hardware store and other light local errands.  Never say never again!

8 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Makes a couple of us who are older and less carefree, though with gas prices and very little traffic out here, a bike would make sense for the hardware store and other light local errands.  Never say never again!

Alas once I get through the 6 miles of dirt road the only road available is US 491. Used to be Route 666, the Devil’s Highway until they re-named it. The main truck route from NM to Utah. 2 lane undivided mostly. 65 mph for normal people., 85-90 for Texans apparently.  :D

5 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I was set to buy a Sportster but…

I've had five over the decades.
A perfect fit for my small frame.
Sold the last one last Fall... got what I paid for it.
Nearly 60 years of riding without a major injury... time to get out before Sacramento traffic and the law of averages caught up with me.

My all time favorite bike was the Yamaha RD400.

1978.05.05 Bruce, Eric Yamaha RD400.razor sharp.jpg

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

That's a helluva light on the police car!

Yup the old bubble gum machine. Pre fancy strobe light bars.

Archived