SASS Wire Forum

Vaquero Gun Smiths

Frontier Lone Rider

I need the cylinder throats reamed on my 44-40 Vaqueros.  As-well-as anything else the gun smith may suggest.

Who would you recommend as being a gun smith who can work on Vaqueros?

I know Cody and have nine rifles that he has done his magic on, but I am not aware if he does revolvers.  I will give Cody a shout.

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Have you confirmed that the throats are undersized?

Yes

1 hour ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

Jimmy Spurs and Lassiter are both top notch on Rugers

I knew Lassiter was the man for pump action rifles, but I didn't know he worked on Vaqueros.

11 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

:rolleyes:

12 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Yeah...Ruger Vaqueros are sooo hard to work on.

:rolleyes:

And that is helpful, how.

Not everyone has the required reamer in order to perform this operation.

15 hours ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

I need the cylinder throats reamed on my 44-40 Vaqueros.  As-well-as anything else the gun smith may suggest.

Who would you recommend as being a gun smith who can work on Vaqueros?

Phone numbers are in the listings, a quick call or message to any of them will let you know if they have the reamer to do the work.

13 hours ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

I knew Lassiter was the man for pump action rifles, but I didn't know he worked on Vaqueros.

Lassiter's work on Vaquero's is very good, I have 2 pairs that he's done. The fit and finish on the pawls and hammers he did is just beautiful, they look factory. I've been shooting them now for 12 years without a hitch.

JEL

Unless you plan to use jacketed bullets, I'd just go ahead and shoot hard cast (BHN 17 - 22) .430 bullets with Winchester brass (thin walls) to permit chambering (unless the chambers themselves are also tight).  Hard cast bullets compress going through the .425" throats, but the compressive strength of the alloy and the short dwell time going through the throats, allow the bullets to re-expand in the forcing cone.  Been shooting mine that way since they came out, and accuracy is as good as my eyeballs will permit (1-5/8" 5-round groups from the bench at 25 yds).  Just sayin'...

None better than Jimmy Spurs. 

Is there some obscure scientific confirmation that bullets will "re-expand" after having been swaged "small??"  I have never seen this ballistically confirmed.

PS:  NOR Metallurgically confirmed

Thanks for your helpful input, (Old Man Graybeard, Jay Vendetta, Scrub Oak Willie and Texas Red), as to which gun smiths have experience with Vaqueros.  I am waiting for my 2nd revolver to come to roost before contacting any gun smiths.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived