SASS Wire Forum

Got Gophers? Try This—Updated

Yul Lose

I’ve always had a battle with gophers around our place and this year there seems to be a bumper crop of them. I’ve used all sorts of traps and deterrents over the years and I think I’ve found the best one yet. A few days before my wife retired from the ranch that she worked at one of the ag supply salesmen came in and gave her a couple of these GopherHawk gopher traps as a going away present because he knew she was a gardener. They’d been using them for awhile out on the ranch with great success so she brought them home for me to try. You don’t have to dig out the gopher hole to set them and they’re very easy to empty. No bait required. I’ve been sticking them down a fresh mound and the next morning there is a dead gopher in it. It’s 100% effective so far, every time I’ve set one it’s caught a gopher. You can get them on Amazon and ag supply stores, Im not sure about other places. I tied a strip of surveyors tape to the top of the spring so that I can tell by looking that there’s a gopher in it.

AE8122E8-5C96-4305-BA52-21C3078EB837.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Just checked it out on Amazon. very cool trap.  Think I will order one to try.  Thanks!

I got my 9th gopher last night out of 9 tries. I’ve never had that success with the Black Hole or others.

• Yul Lose changed the title to Got Gophers? Try This—Updated

My son, Sassparilla Kid, swears by these things.  

I've had gophers, but Elvira, the coal-black, sweet but feral cat who adopted me about seven years ago, has done a most excellent job of keeping me supplied with gopher carcasses.

Sadly, she passed on earlier this month, so I reckon I'll be gettin' myself one of these gems.

Think I'll name it Elvira, in memory of that other terrific gopher-getter.  :)

image.thumb.png.2c3a292547be38fa4704a105645baf76.png

Should work better than my alternate plan.

35491896-4D9F-461A-9D79-1F8BB546C114.jpeg

My tried and true was water, calcium carbide, and a match.  Run some water in, toss in a small handful of the carbide, flush it deeper with more water, wait a minute and toss a match.   Or you could lay down some fuse.

4 hours ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

I've got moles.  How do they work on moles?  The steel pointy traps work intermittently and the plastic jaws of death are impossible to get in the ground correctly.

Yes, they work on moles too.

3 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

But then again... this one might be more funner....   :rolleyes:

It’s good until the gopher tunnel extends under the house. 

4 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

But then again... this one might be more funner....   :rolleyes:

Oh please God, don't let my bride see this! 

34 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Am I the only one who feels sorry for the cute lookin' furry little animals :)  these things are native aren't they?

You are~!  ^_^

13 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Am I the only one who feels sorry for the cute lookin' furry little animals :)  these things are native aren't they?

How’s about I live trap some and send them to you? You’ll be on the top 10 most wanted list in about a year if you turn them loose.:lol:

We have Pocket Gophers they rarely show above ground and trapping is kind of spooky in Rattlesnake Country.  Absolutely successful has been Gopher Getter, it deposits a poison bait in their underground runs.  They find it very attractive, eat it and die underground.  Usually one application is all it takes, the most has been twice.   https://www.mws-d.com/ProductDetail.aspx?productid=10871

20 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

We have Pocket Gophers they rarely show above ground and trapping is kind of spooky in Rattlesnake Country.  Absolutely successful has been Gopher Getter, it deposits a poison bait in their underground runs.  They find it very attractive, eat it and die underground.  Usually one application is all it takes, the most has been twice.   https://www.mws-d.com/ProductDetail.aspx?productid=10871

And just where is the manfun in that?!?!?! My favorite was sitting with my Hawken and a cold beverage. Aim low. It either skids in or humps up the ground under them. A six foot high cartwheel!

8 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

And just where is the manfun in that?!?!?! My favorite was sitting with my Hawken and a cold beverage. Aim low. It either skids in or humps up the ground under them. A six foot high cartwheel!

Whatever, you sure can't see them, so you just must be able to guess where to shoot.  Had them all around the house till I found this gadget, and now they're gone.  I shoot Prairie Dogs and other unpleasant varmints around the buildings when I can see them!  

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

LOL....but then they'd be ferals :) 

Yes they would.

Archived