SASS Wire Forum

Uberti vs Winchester (Miroku) 1873 in .357

powertube

Hey guys, 

I want to buy a 73 in the next few days. Main purpose will be some kind of steel shooting  and also CAS in the future. 
Right now I'm only getting into CAS for fun, not going ultra fast so things like short-stroke kits, availability etc. are not relevant right now. 

I'm looking for a 20" (don't like to 24" octagons too much) but can't decide between miroku and the ubertis. I could test both the last days (20" Miroku short rifle and 24" uberti octagon) and hardly could spot a difference in the slickness of the action. Maybe the miroku was a tad better, but it can just be imagination because of what I read on the internet. 

From what I've read the Ubertis are pretty good, but the Mirokus are superior in fitting and slickness of the action. Also Ubertis screws are bad (soft)  Is the difference really remarkable? 

Here in Germany, Winchesters are selling for roundabout 1300-1600 euros, Ubertis between 1000 and 1300 euros (Both NIB) 
The rifle should work smooth and reliable out of the box, after my Odyssey with a Rossi I don't want to get into home gunsmithing too bad. 

• powertube changed the title to Uberti vs Winchester (Miroku) 1873 in .357

I recently purchased a Uberti 1873 Competition,  20" octagonal barrel, which comes short stroked. It was too stiff to use out of the box and sent it straight to a gunsmith for slicking up. I find the octagonal barrel to be front end heavy. Thinking I should have waited until a Winchester became available.

I have both types.  The Ubertis have lots of spare parts available, if you choose to work on them or have a gunsmith tune them up.  The Winchester (Mirokus) don't have any spare parts available (at least here in the U.S.) so altering them or replacing parts can be very difficult.  The Winchesters are, according to the general consensus, a bit better fitted and smoother out of the box with a slightly shorter lever stroke.  I have a 24 inch barreled Winchester and a 20 inch Uberti, both in 44-40.  The Winchester has a round barrel and is slimmer and no heavier than the shorter Uberti with its octagon barrel.  

I would buy the Uberti, parts are more readily available and when you do decide to short stroke ,if you want, it'll be a easy.

Thanks guys, 

what do you think of the difference between carbine and short rifle regarding shouldering?

I had a Rossi 92 carbine I never got familiar with and had problems shouldering it right. Maybe it was because of the stiff action, but the barrel had the tendency to go up when working the action. (Not easy to explain as a non-native english speaker) 

I think there are 2 aspects to any answer your question warrants.  1 - is what I'd term as "pointability",  which would be a matter of ergonomics, length of pull, drop at comb, etc.  Or, does the gun seem to align itself with your eye?  Either a carbine or rifle styed stock can do the, but for some people, while for others, one style does it more naturally.  No amount of my input will directly correlate to your circumstance.  The other aspect I'll call "shootability".   While pointability is part of a guns shootability, it doesn't end there.  Shootability also includes the ability to easily make follow-up shots, a major aspect in cowboy action shooting.  Here, the smoothness of the action plays a major role.  A smooth light action, that keeps the muzzle in a steady attitude, no jumping around is paramount.   But, here again, one person's preference for a light, maneuverable barrel doesn't necessarily mean the same attribute applies to the next person.  Some have a preference that a little weight at the end of a barrel aids in their maintaining a good sight picture and smooths out the muzzle during transition from one target to the next.  I'm not sure that really helps other than to identify those aspects that you need to define for yourself.  This is where being able to actually shoulder and work the action means the world in decision-making.  It is why cowboy action shooters so often tell new folks to get out to a match before you buy anything!  It's because so many of us have either made those "bad" decisions or watched others struggle to get thru theirs!  I have rifles, carbines, and short rifles, and like them all, use them all, and do have preferences for which is used when.  Good luck!

If  you end up shooting CAS in the future you will wish you had purchased the Uberti and the cost difference is significant. If you never start doing CAS the Uberti will make you crazy. Miroku is such a sweet rifle out of the box you will love it for any other type of shooting.  It also shoots well in CAS but for me it was fun getting an Uberti and fixing it up. You cant do that with the Miroku but the Miroku is the better rifle out of the box, no question. It just cost so much more!  Gute nacht.

I've had the Rossi 92 and currently have three Ubertis in 357, 44-40 and 45 Colt. The Rossi is quite a bit lighter, so you do have more muzzle rise. I have not shot a Miroku, so I cannot speak to it. However, both of my new when purchased Ubertis ran fine for me right out of the box. I am not a top-speed shooter, so I have no difficulties with the rifle slowing me down.

On 8/18/2022 at 3:49 PM, Griff said:

I think there are 2 aspects to any answer your question warrants.  1 - is what I'd term as "pointability",  which would be a matter of ergonomics, length of pull, drop at comb, etc.  Or, does the gun seem to align itself with your eye?  Either a carbine or rifle styed stock can do the, but for some people, while for others, one style does it more naturally.  No amount of my input will directly correlate to your circumstance.  The other aspect I'll call "shootability".   While pointability is part of a guns shootability, it doesn't end there.  Shootability also includes the ability to easily make follow-up shots, a major aspect in cowboy action shooting.  Here, the smoothness of the action plays a major role.  A smooth light action, that keeps the muzzle in a steady attitude, no jumping around is paramount.   But, here again, one person's preference for a light, maneuverable barrel doesn't necessarily mean the same attribute applies to the next person.  Some have a preference that a little weight at the end of a barrel aids in their maintaining a good sight picture and smooths out the muzzle during transition from one target to the next.  I'm not sure that really helps other than to identify those aspects that you need to define for yourself.  This is where being able to actually shoulder and work the action means the world in decision-making.  It is why cowboy action shooters so often tell new folks to get out to a match before you buy anything!  It's because so many of us have either made those "bad" decisions or watched others struggle to get thru theirs!  I have rifles, carbines, and short rifles, and like them all, use them all, and do have preferences for which is used when.  Good luck!

I agree with Griff "This is where being able to actually shoulder and work the action means the world in decision-making." The difficulty is actually finding places that have different brands and models on hand.  I travelled 2 hours last year to a major NRA gun show to do just this only to find most of the manufacturers had pulled out - a frustrating experience to say the least. Recently, club members have been allowing me to hold and check the action on their unloaded rifles and pistols, this has been very helpful and has enlightened me to the feel and action of different models both slicked up and non-slicked up, and given me an idea of how to move forward in this sport.

4 minutes ago, Ashley D Austin said:

Recently, club members have been allowing me to hold and check the action on their unloaded rifles and pistols, this has been very helpful and has enlightened me to the feel and action of different models both slicked up and non-slicked up, and given me an idea of how to move forward in this sport.

Which is the exact reason we suggest new/prospective shooters go to a match or two before buying things. I'm surprised they haven't let you live fire some.

We have a Uberti 73 in 38 spcl thats a Codymatic and is slick and smooth as can be, Recently got a Miroku Winchester and it was real nice out of the box and feeds 105's or 147's with no issue at all. I also shot a match with it using real BP and ran the entire match without needing to be sprayed. Would not mind another in 44-40. But there are no parts available to slick them up. If that is a concern then I would suggest getting a Uberti.

Hochbauer

Archived