SASS Wire Forum

Best Source for .45 LC price wise

Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439

Got a friend that wants to stock up on .45 LC some target, some hunting and I thought if anyone would have the low down it would be you guys. 
Appreciate any leads you might have. 

thanks in advance. 

Nimbles

16 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Unless your friend has been hiding in a cave the past 2 1/2 years he would know finding .45 Colt at any price is tough right now.

No he hasn’t been hiding? Just hasn’t thought about having more ammunition for his rifle and pistol. He had four or five 50 rnd boxes and that was enough for him then, but he is now thing he needs more. I was looking for sources that were the most economical and Cheyenne led me to a website, much appreciated!  

Reload or sell all stocks, bonds and funds owned to afford 45 Colt right now.

I regularly see it priced well above $1/round for cowboy ammo.

Howdy Fingers,

Tell your friend to get a reloading setup. Years ago, when I noticed that cheap cowboy ammo was drying up/getting more expensive, I started reloading. I have never regretted it. Nowadays, I thank my lucky stars that I did. I never worry about having ammo to shoot and enjoy the process. It's a good way of decompressing.

Rev. Chase

38 minutes ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

Howdy Fingers,

Tell your friend to get a reloading setup. Years ago, when I noticed that cheap cowboy ammo was drying up/getting more expensive, I started reloading. I have never regretted it. Nowadays, I thank my lucky stars that I did. I never worry about having ammo to shoot and enjoy the process. It's a good way of decompressing.

Rev. Chase

Well said! I agree 100% ;)

I once read that you should have a minimum of 1000 rounds on hand for every gun you ever plan to shoot (rather than just fondle and stare at).  I thought it was a crazy amount when I read that.  Since then, I've accumulated (over time) A LOT of ammunition and today have more than I'll likely shoot in any given gun over the rest of my life -- a lot more than I'll ever shoot in some guns.  Half a wall in the man cave is covered up by stacked milsurp ammo cans.  I reload all of my shotshell needs (I've been reloading 12ga for a couple of decades) and more recently 357MAG and 45LC cowboy ammo which I very happily started reloading about a year ago when wife Bullion Rose took an interest in our CAS game.  After making a few massive purchases of some components to get excellent "old" pricing, and having a truly great coated bullet supplier in our club, I don't worry about my cost or supply of ammo anymore.  Buying small quantities at retail prices is simply not an option.

I started reloading in the early '70s after I got out of the military.  I've always found it cheaper to reload than buy even reloaded ammo, let alone new.  And when I first started reloading, there were none of the manufacturers using premium bullets and guaranteeing the kind of accuracy you can attain with handloaded ammo.  I have several guns that have never seen a factory loaded cartridge from the day they were new.  For both jacketed and lead bullets, the selection over factory ammo is just ridiculous.  It isn't for everyone, but if you can follow simple instructions and warnings, pay attention to a few details, you can have all the safe, reliable ammo you want or need at any given time.  

How I intended to answer your query:  Best Source for 45 Colt Price Wise?   Answer:  Your reloading bench.

The Prescott Valley gun show has a variety of .45 Colt ranging from $38 per 50 to $50 per 50. In 2018 I remember seeing cowboy loads at $28 to $33 per 50.

I really don't know what even factory 38 special ammo has cost recently or in the past. But when you get away from 38s I know factory is usually  much more expensive for 44 spl/mag or 45 Colt. For hunting even buying Buffalo Bore or Garrets isn't so bad because you probably don't need a bunch.  But everyone would like to save a little on range ammo because you'll use more.

On 8/17/2022 at 5:55 PM, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Got a friend that wants to stock up on .45 LC some target, some hunting and I thought if anyone would have the low down it would be you guys. 
Appreciate any leads you might have. 

thanks in advance. 

Nimbles

When you say he wants to "stock up", how many rounds are we talking about?

In the long term, I'd recommend your friend invest in a reloading setup, although finding primers is difficult right now. .45 Colt is easy to reload, and well worth it in terms of the money he'll save over time, compared to buying factory ammo. 

40 minutes ago, Possum Stu said:

When you say he wants to "stock up", how many rounds are we talking about?

In the long term, I'd recommend your friend invest in a reloading setup, although finding primers is difficult right now. .45 Colt is easy to reload, and well worth it in terms of the money he'll save over time, compared to buying factory ammo. 

I would say that he is looking for 200-300 rounds, none cowboy loads. One of the other posters gave me ammoseek.com as a source and I forwarded it to him to get on and seek what he wants.  It sure he would want to do that, but if I do upgrade to a Dillon 550 so I can load both pistol and rifle cartridges, I will let him use my SDB as I bought the dies to load .45LC so I could sell it as I load .44 spcl/mag with it. 
thanks for the suggestion though 

On 8/21/2022 at 4:55 PM, Cholla said:

The Prescott Valley gun show has a variety of .45 Colt ranging from $38 per 50 to $50 per 50. In 2018 I remember seeing cowboy loads at $28 to $33 per 50.

Would love to go, ever since visiting my folks in Green Valley I have loved AZ, but both my friend and I live in S FL. 

6 hours ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

As long as he understands and accepts that the ammoseek bot results are wrong more often than right, that's a good tool.  It often scrapes old data on what is in stock or not, and old data on prices as well.

Thanks for the heads up on ammoseek!

I am producing 45 Colt Cowboy Cartridges - as well as some others - I posted on Merchant Corner today. Should be available to ship mid to late September.  200gr New Starline Brass $90/100 plus shipping. 160gr are $85/100 plus shipping.  Should be on my website next week. Sold in 500 cartridge quantity.  * shipping is expected to be about $20/500. UPS Ground. 

Bulletsbyscarlett@gmail.com

Moderators: delete if this violates policy. 

hugs!

Scarlett

From Midway it looks like $2 per round. For a 100 round match that is $200, with practice $$$. For me that means NO!! Reloading sees to be the only option. One still has to find "No Backorder" brass and primers. Unique powder seems to be available. Low volume Lee "O" press or RCBS Partner press works, for high volume Dillion 550.  Dies Lee or Hornady. Bullets, bulk buy from Blue Bullets or any caster. When choosing keep in mind $200 per match + practice vs. breakeven cost for reloading supplies and equipment over time. You'll also need someway to clean brass. To start Harbor Freight works but my Ultravibe is 40 years old and lizard litter is cheap.

If your friend is a hard no on reloading he won’t go wrong by buying from Scarlett. 

I found a round of .45 Colt for the best possible price at our club match yesterday.  It was on the ground, in the grass.  Wiped off nice.  Free.  (Sorry, couldn't resist.)  RELOADING is the only way to go for any volume shooting of CAS-strength 45 Colt (and my wife's 357 Mag) these days.  I also did a good deed yesterday: I recently helped a cowgirl getting out of the game by taking her extensive stock of 180gr and 200gr coated RNFP bullets (more than 3000) at her cost.  Unbeknownst to me, she put 150 spent 45 Colt Cowboy Special brass in the box.  I have no interest in those shorties, so I just gave 'em away to another club member who does use them.  HE got the same great price on those components, too -- free!  It is the cowboy way, I think.

Archived