SASS Wire Forum

Huntley-Brinkley Report on January 6 ...

Patagonia Pete

Did Castro have an M16?

That long skinny rifle barrel sticking up over his shoulder, but that flash suppressor sure look like something from early Vietnam. I didn't know they were even around in 59.

AK of some sort by the looks of it.  Possibly a 74.

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

AK of some sort by the looks of it.  Possibly a 74.

An AK 74? In 1959?

1 hour ago, Tall Tale Todd said:

Galil

Could be. I was thinking an FAL.

The IMI Galil (Hebrew: גליל) is a family of Israeli-made automatic rifles chambered for the 5.56×45mm NATO and 7.62×51mm NATO cartridges. Originally designed by Yisrael Galili and Yakov Lior in the late 1960s, the Galil was first produced by the state-owned Israel Military Industries and is now exported by the privatized Israel Weapon Industries.

I don't think Castro had one in 1959.

The bolt cover, the magazine release, the safety switch/lever, and the curved magazine are all the same as those on my AK47.

I really wasn’t paying close attention to the date.

12 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

castro.jpg.6a1cb332240b33a70a1cd4b1f0f65417.jpg

Different gun. Th3 flash hider is not the same. Based on Fidel’s uniform (and gray hair) this is a much later photo.

The flash suppressor appears to be a 3 prong type like the early Stoners. But I can’t say what the rifle is.

96076150-ADCB-4FAF-8EF4-192761D1B8C4.jpeg

The photo shows an Israeli-made Ameda rifle that the FSCN gave him a few days after the triumph of the Sandinista Revolution ... +61 ish ??.

The most important thing was the US tribute song that came out a few years later too ... (Bay of Pigs) - Sam and Dave - "Hold on Im Comin"

11 minutes ago, Patagonia Pete said:

The photo shows an Israeli-made Ameda rifle that the FSCN gave him a few days after the triumph of the Sandinista Revolution ... +61 ish ??.

The most important thing was the US tribute song that came out a few years later too ... (Bay of Pigs) - Sam and Dave - "Hold on Im Comin"

I believe the Sandinista Revolution was 79.

We are talking about two separate images here. The one from the film clip, and the much later still photo.

Archived