SASS Wire Forum

Historic 44-40 information request

Sierrita Slim

I’m looking for information on what type of hollow based bullets (projectiles) were used in commercial 44-40 ammunition during the 1870’s. I have found information on powder, bullet weight and nose shape but no mention at all of bullet base style. I’m hoping someone on here will know. 

Thanks for the sites, but I’ve already been there, just checked again. Lots of good information but nothing about hollow based. Thanks though, it is a good site. 

Look for Savvy Jack and send him a PM.  He is deeply into the history of the .44-40.  My own thought is why would there be a hollowbase bullet for the .44-40?  The bullet was bore size and did not need a hollowbase.  I have never seen a hollowbase .32-20 or .38-40 either.

2 hours ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

These are Savvy Jack's website.

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

My own thought is why would there be a hollowbase bullet for the .44-40

I wondered the same. Hollowbase bullets, in fixed cartridge ammunition, is almost always because the cartridge was originally loaded with a heel bullet and outside lubricated. When they went to an inside lubricated bullet, it is smaller in diameter than the hole in the barrel. So they would load it with a hollowbased bullet, which would expand to grip the rifling.

The 44 Winchester was always an inside lubricated bullet, so I see absolutely no need for a hollowbase.

I found a misfired 44-40 and an empty 38-40 case that were manufactured between 1873 and 1879 on my property. Nearby I found a spent hollow base bullet, mangled a bit. The base is distorted and measures between .40 and .44 depending on where you measure. I have the exact measurements at home. It weighs 198.2 grains. The style of hollow base looks old to me. 
your thoughts?

071E8664-4E93-485B-AC6D-25E222545851.jpeg

On 8/17/2022 at 11:10 AM, Sierrita Slim said:

I’m looking for information on what type of hollow based bullets (projectiles) were used in commercial 44-40 ammunition during the 1870’s. 

Thanks fellas!!

Hollow based bullets were not used by Winchester in the  1870's 44 WCF cartridges

Data is here: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester/chasing-the-44-40/cartridge-details/winchester/bullets

On 8/17/2022 at 5:09 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Amazing how much information turned up the DID NOT answer the original question.

Did the links everyone was posting not work?

A side issue, also interesting: Ruger made the original Old Model Vaqueros in .44-40 with undersized throats (.425") compared to the groove diameter of the barrels (.429-.430").  Stage, yes?  But I have an original Colt's Frontier Six Shooter (SAA) in .44-40 that has a .428" barrel and the cylinder throats are .4245"!  Go figure that one! :wacko:  Had John Kopec, back when he was selling SAA parts, make me a cylinder with .428" throats. Figured I'd have to have the replacement fitted by a pistol smith.  Tried installing it, just for the heckofit, and it locked up like a bank vault!  Most accurate SA revolver I've ever shot! :)

10 hours ago, Savvy Jack said:

Did the links everyone was posting not work?

Most of them did, but a lot of folks got way off the subject.  I suppose I shouldn't gripe because I can't recall a subject with mote than a half dozen or so responses that didn't wander off subject....not that I ever do that myself.  :rolleyes:   :P

Archived