SASS Wire Forum

Hammer shotgun options

Johnny Knight

When it comes to 87s, the choices boil down to these in no particular order. 

1. Coyote Cap Special. These are good reliable clones. Coyote Cap is the reason we have clones of the 87. They will be marked Coyote Cap Special on the side of the receiver. Be aware that there are a few of these that made it into the world that do not have his modification for SASS. Most have been fixed but they are out there. I had one that did not have the mod.

2. Those manufactured by NORINCO or IAC. These are clones. Once modified for CAS these are good reliable guns.

3. The PW-87. These are still being imported by Century Arms. Some can be made to work quite well for CAS. Others are complete junk.  They are easy to identify as they have the Chinese manufacturers' name deeply roll printed on the RH side of the receiver and Century Arms PW-87 on the LH side. 

4. Those manufactured by Chiappa. There can be recognized because of the nice case coloring of the receiver. Can be modified to work quite well for CAS.

5. Original 87s. Made in both 10 and 12 ga. They are still out there some in surprisingly good shape. These are Black Powder only firearms. the very early models had only one extractor. Later they added a second extractor. IF in good shape they can be modified for CAS.

6. The original 1901. These were only made in 10 ga. They are safe to use with smokeless loads and can be modified to work quite well for CAS.

When I say modified for CAS, this means that the action has been modified such that the carrier makes it exceptionally easy to load two shells at a time. On an unmodified gun, the carrier drops too far down and the top shell is not in line with the chamber. On the modified ones the carrier either hits a positive stop that prevents it from dropping further or hits a detente that takes extra force to over come. This aligns the top shell with the chamber so that when the lever is closed the bolt pushes the shell into the chamber. On guns with the positive stop, the magazine is next to impossible to load if it can be loaded at all.

I'll be sure to chat with folks running the different options mentioned above, but kicking the idea around, I'm gravitating towards the side by side.  Seems a bit more iconic to me for classic.  The TTN's clearly have a fan base, any thoughts on how they compare to the current Pietta 1878 and the CZ Hammer Coach?  A TTN just went for $875 on gunbroker, I'm seeing the Pietta Deluxe running a bit over $900 and the CZ seems to be sitting closer to $1000.  So all things considered, pretty close on the price point.

Regards,

Johnny

Surprised to see no mention of the Pedersoli Coach Gun. I know they are a bit pricey but it is a really well made s/s with tall mule-ear hammers. Springs can be easily reworked to allow cocking both hammers at the same time with thumb. Very reliable shotgun.

RR 

Personally, I'd love to encounter the Pedersoli and see what it's all about. Just curious.

I recently passed on a beautiful CZ that sold for $800 in new condition. Very nice gun.

Dantankerous...

Here's a Pedersoli Coach gun with custom stocks. Note the tall hammers and the 10° addition drop on the rear stock that brings the sight line up to the eye quicker and easier. They also come with "WYATT EARP" on the right plate but blank plates (which I have on this one now - photo taken long time ago) are available. Break-open angle is easily adjustable to gain clear access to chambers for loading and extraction. Both hammers on this one are cocked with one sweep of the thumb. These are beautifully made shotguns.

R

Pedersoli coach sm.jpg

Few if any Hammer Doubles have Ejectors.  I've actually never seen a Hammer Double with Ejectors.  I am curious though, why, when some Pilgrim is asking for help with gun choices, those nabobs of knowledge immediately start talking about something else entirely.  Something with a near vertical learning curve and also quite difficult to find.  Strange.

Johnny, I see you will be at Comin at Cha. Look me up there and you can check out my CZ. Very smooth gun.

23 hours ago, Johnny Knight said:

Thanks Deacon, I'll look forward to meeting you!

If you are there on Wednesday, hopefully you can hit a couple practice spots to see if it fits you.

Archived