SASS Wire Forum

How could this happen twice?

Utah Bob #35998

:(I relayed this story before about how a co worker and I were checking out at the grocery store years ago when and the total came up $19.41.

”Bad year” says my friend to the young cashier. She stares at him.

”Pearl Harbor. Japanese” he says. Blank stare,

”World War Two started” he finally says.

“Oh”, she said “I wouldn’t know about that. It was before my time”

We shook our heads and left.Somewhat depressed.

Fast forward 25 years. I stopped in at the the mini market to get a few things. 

See receipt below.

”Ahh”, I said to the cashier “1776. Cool year”

As I glanced at her blank stare, I was hit in the face with a big glob of Deja Vu.

“Paul Revere”, I said. “July 4th, Washington, Jefferson”

Nothing 

“Red Coats”, I asked.

She glanced quizzically at the candy display.

Picked up my bag and shuffled out to the car. Depressed.

FFA0C8EE-1BB6-4485-9EB9-0383A8B77822.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Sad that people don’t our country’s history !:(

Our schools and most of today’s teachers are too busy indoctrinating our kids to the New World Order!!

Schoolmarm mentions that she is glad she got out when she did about four times a week!!

14 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Try this on the next young cashier, "I have a cash guarantee card." 
She said to me, "Oh, I'm sorry, we don't accept those."

I have never heard of one of those. What is it?

It's a joke played on young cashiers.
They are too young to grasp the humor.
Same sweet young thing was stuttering and stammering over the PA system while calling for a price check on Tampax.

In California at a Lucky’s grocery store the power went out. The registers didn’t work. I needed the items in my cart and asked the girl at the counter if I could just pay in cash. She said she had no way to tell what the prices were. She called out for a manager the old fashioned way. She shouted. A manager came over. I asked the manager about paying cash. The manager said the same thing s the girl. I asked if they had a price book. “No!” Was the response. 
I whipped out my iPhone and said I can look up the prices with this. 
The girl said “That’s a great idea…how do we add them up?”

The manager lady gave the girl the stupidest look then came up with a way to get out of thinking. She said “Sir, we have no way to secure the cash so this won’t work.”

I looked at them both and said “You people deserve the jobs you have. You’re both idiots.” and I left. 

When I was a kid, if some old guy, or rather, dignified elder, saw $18.98 on the tab and said 'bad year", I would have failed to know that that was when the Spanish-American War started. And that was nearer to then than 1941 is now-- a lot. If it'd been 1917, maybe I'd have gotten it, maybe not.

The geezer would have departed muttering, no doubt....

Ahem, Paul Revere was 1775.

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

”Ahh”, I said to the cashier “1776. Cool year”

As I glanced at her blank stare, I was hit in the face with a big glob of Deja Vu.

“Paul Revere”, I said. “July 4th, Washington, Jefferson”

I recall that when I was a kid my Dad leaving hardware, paint and other stores grumbling about the idiots behind the counter. 

Humanity has had idiots since the dawn of time. Those idiots have all ended up in jobs that don’t require much from them. Cashiers, street sweepers, politicians. It’s the way of things. ;)

I got change back from a Wendy's drive through, .53 cents. She gave me 5 dimes and 3 pennies. I said, "Oh so you're out of quarters huh?" She just looked at me weird and said, "No we have plenty of quarters sir".  I just smiled and left.;)

About 20+ years ago, I was helping a newly hired Fishery Biologist to interview people for summer temporary help jobs.  

She needed them to interview fishermen and record hours fished and fish lengths and weights.  She tested the college graduate applicants by having them weigh a coffee cup in grams, measure a pencil in mm, and add a column of ten 2-digit numbers without a calculator.  

Of 21 applicants, nobody added the numbers correctly.  Less than half weighed the coffee cup correctly, and only five could measure the pencil, even given a measuring board.  Two applicants said they could not weigh the cup because the scale weighed in metric!

These were Batchelor's Degree college graduates!

So it isnt just the age differential affecting cash register clerks' knowledge of our history.   It is also a woefully deficient education. 

18 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

About 20+ years ago, I was helping a newly hired Fishery Biologist to interview people for summer temporary help jobs.  

She needed them to interview fishermen and record hours fished and fish lengths and weights.  She tested the college graduate applicants by having them weigh a coffee cup in grams, measure a pencil in mm, and add a column of ten 2-digit numbers without a calculator.  

Of 21 applicants, nobody added the numbers correctly.  Less than half weighed the coffee cup correctly, and only five could measure the pencil, even given a measuring board.  Two applicants said they could not weigh the cup because the scale weighed in metric!

These were Batchelor's Degree college graduates!

So it isnt just the age differential affecting cash register clerks' knowledge of our history.   It is also a woefully deficient education. 

Classrooms and Teachers allow and have computers and calculators in classes so students no longer need to think and why they can't do things in their heads.  

Me and the wife were at Home Depot and a Summer College student was working the register and I gave her 2 20 Dollar bills and she asked if we didn't want to use a Debit or Credit card instead. Couple seconds later we discovered why when we spent a good several minutes while she counted out change several times and had to return several times to the cash drawer before she had it right and then asked the wife if it was correct. Go figure.

2 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Sorry; I don't understand why so many of you are surprised that folks working low-IQ minimum wage jobs fail to grasp historical references.  

LL

That’s a bit elitist.  A low paying job doesn’t mean a low IQ. Manu of us have worked entry level before.
My basic point was that history, which is a vitally important subject, is no longer taught, remembered or valued in this country.

2 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

That’s a bit elitist.  A low paying job doesn’t mean a low IQ. Manu of us have worked entry level before.
My basic point was that history, which is a vitally important subject, is no longer taught, remembered or valued in this country.

There are exceptions.  I can assure you my children understand the significance of those dates.  I expect the children and grandchildren of many SASS pards do too.  Loopholes comment may be a bit elitist, but it's also a bit true. 

5 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

There are exceptions.  I can assure you my children understand the significance of those dates.  I expect the children and grandchildren of many SASS pards do too.  Loopholes comment may be a bit elitist, but it's also a bit true. 

The girls in these incidents were not long out of high school so I assume they either did not retain much or more likely, we’re never taught much about two of the most significant events in world history. 

And then there was the Leno Jay Walking snippets on the old Tonight show where people could not answer questions like Who did we fight in the American Revolution and where is Pearl Harbor. 
Jorge Santayana was right. :(

My grandfather ALWAYS did the math in his head at the checkout when it came to getting his change back and usually before the clerk’s managed to figure it out and it always surprised me how often he caught the clerks making a “ mistake”, it’s a habit he instilled in me and I still count my change to this day and I still catch “mistakes” at the counter

2 minutes ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

My grandfather ALWAYS did the math in his head at the checkout when it came to getting his change back and usually before the clerk’s managed to figure it out and it always surprised me how often he caught the clerks making a “ mistake”, it’s a habit he instilled in me and I still count my change to this day and I still catch “mistakes” at the counter

You’d think that with the cash register telling them the amount of change due that they would be able to count it wouldn’t you. :rolleyes:

Amazing how many times I've been given my own money back with the change! Then have to convince them they did it! And I'm still standing there with the pile in hand! Can't wait for them to be out leaders.

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The girls in these incidents were not long out of high school so I assume they either did not retain much or more likely, we’re never taught much about two of the most significant events in world history. 

And then there was the Leno Jay Walking snippets on the old Tonight show where people could not answer questions like Who did we fight in the American Revolution and where is Pearl Harbor.

It's been going on for a long time. When I was in high school during the 1980s all they taught us in History class was slavery, the Holocaust and the civil rights movement. They literally didn't even cover Vietnam. I had to find out what happened in 'Nam on my own by watching documentaries and reading books.

Saw this movie one time - speaking about things that are taught in school.

During World War II many British children were sent to America, to protect them from the bombing. So now it's 1947, maybe 48, and this little girl has gone back home to England. She's maybe 10 or 11.

First day of school, and the teacher announces that now they are going to learn about the Civil War, and the little girl's hand is in the air.

"I know all about this. We learned it last year. The South wanted to have slaves, and the North didn't want there to be slaves, so they..."

And the teacher says, "The British Civil War!"

"You mean there was more than one?" :P

Kayak was gassi.g her truck and the nozzle popped off at 45.70. She knew it would take more but why ruin a bad thing.

(Trump was president so that was a full tank.)

10 hours ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

And with that, these youngsters will be our future Teachers, Lawyers, and leaders?

Naw... these particular youngsters will be our future Walmart greeters.   :)

2 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

And yet they could tell you in a heartbeat what Cardi B was wearing this morning.

...... I know what a cardi-gan is ......

........ what's a cardi-b ..... ?  :huh:

I looked the name up. Said she is an American rapper and songwriter.

It goes on to say that she became an internet celebrity because of Twitter and Instagram.

That sounds to me like her celebrityness has nothing to do with her rapping or songwriting.

Howdy,

I once dated a math teacher.

She ran up a load of credit card debt and finally decided to really pay it off.

I had to explain to her how paying off the cards with the highest interest charges 

was the smart thing to do.  Unless of course a few dollars would zero a card.

The zero card gets no interest charge

Best

CR

Archived