SASS Wire Forum

12 Gauge Gun Cart Taper Tool

Ace Hanlon

I saw a shooter at the OK Corral in Okeechobee Florida who had a hand press on their gun cart which would put the 3 degree taper on the end of 12 gauge shells.  Does anyone know this cowboy? I would like to acquire this item if available.  Thanks 

Big Iron Buster had one on his gun cart at EOT. Seems like they were $350+. Don’t know for sure who made it. I ran some of my shells thru it and it did a good job. 

38 minutes ago, Ace Hanlon said:

I saw a shooter at the OK Corral in Okeechobee Florida who had a hand press on their gun cart which would put the 3 degree taper on the end of 12 gauge shells.  Does anyone know this cowboy? I would like to acquire this item if available.  Thanks 

Mustang Dave had one on his cart when he shot in Florida in Jan or Feb.

I use one of these for about 15% of the price. 

A hand-held 12 gauge checker and mouth-taper die.

Works like a treat.

https://www.slixprings.com/proddetail.php?prod=SliX-Shotshell-Checker-Sizer-Combo

good luck, GJ

My Texan reloader does it when I load the shells.

A friend bought one of the 79.95 taper dies.   I gave him an old Mec press.  He stripped off all of the reloading parts from the press that were not needed for the taper die.   Looked pretty compact and simple when he was done      GW

What is the advantage to using a $300+ tool on your cart vs. the $80 tool at home and being done with it when your reloading? 

47 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

What is the advantage to using a $300+ tool on your cart vs. the $80 tool at home and being done with it when your reloading? 

I don't have a machine on which the loader tool can be installed.

I don't have a machine on which the loader tool can be installed.

That's another situation where the portable hand tool (just larger than a shell) really becomes a jewel.

I have one of the hand held shell checker/ crimper. I put in the drill press and carefully drilled a hole through the side being careful not to drill into the interior of the checker. I ran a leather through the hole and it is tied to my cart. Sure makes finding it after every stage and not losing it. Also had my alias engraved on it as there are many out there

20 hours ago, Ace Hanlon said:

I'm not sure how to contact to get one Reno Mustang bought the first one I ever saw a couple of years ago and they are really nice. They mount easily to a Rugged Gear cart.

I have a low budget version I keep in the back of my truck.

Randy

IMG_0663.JPG

I have the Unique Tech Loadmaster taper it fits onto my Mec 600 reloader in place of the crimp starter; only takes a few seconds to swap. Was having problems with reloads not feeding into my '97. So far, no issues but I'm also being more careful when I inspect the spent hulls.....

Instead of all this "funneling" the breach, removing the Dolls Head, removing the top half the Hourglass Extractor, why doesn't some really sharp entrepreneur just come up with a pointy nose crimper???

10 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Instead of all this "funneling" the breach, removing the Dolls Head, removing the top half the Hourglass Extractor, why doesn't some really sharp entrepreneur just come up with a pointy nose crimper???

Well, they sort of did.  Running the shell through some 20 gauge dies, or something like that.  Not legal.  This 3 degree thing is I believe the max it can be tapered per the rules.

I think someone also was just leaving the folds of the shell uncrimped (stuck an overshot card inside so the shot didn't spill out) so the crimp folds stuck out and made the shell "pointy".  Also ruled not legal.

Nah.  Not talking about that 20Ga trick, nor the un-crimped trick.  I mean a crimp that starts further back and creates a shape like a spire point bullet.  That'd be really Trix.  Or start out with 3" hulls to make the roundly taper.

19 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Nah.  Not talking about that 20Ga trick, nor the un-crimped trick.  I mean a crimp that starts further back and creates a shape like a spire point bullet.  That'd be really Trix.  Or start out with 3" hulls to make the roundly taper.

Shhh, Palewolf is watching....

:ph34r:

Rather than embark down the slippery SASS legality slope of various methods and shapes of shell tapering, I just re-run my 12 ga shells through the original crimp die the day before a match. 

It works great to overcome post-loading storage expansion, and I don't have all the cost and legal interpretation concerns.    

Rubicon Ryder is a tool and die shop owner and makes these. 

Rubicon can be reached at (704) 984-1777

Hugs,

Scarlett

http://ryderumbrellamount.com

He also makes a great beach umbrella holder for Rugged Gear gun carts. They are the best umbrella holder you will find anywhere. Click on the website above for information. 

On 8/17/2022 at 3:12 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

On 8/17/2022 at 3:35 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

That's already been done by an Italian company.

image.png

Use of that ILLEGAL ammunition for SASS competition is subject to a MATCH DQ

(official ruling as of July 2020

“Coned” shotgun ammunition (partially-crimped or ogival crimped) is not allowed.

SHB p.26

Ah POO!! :o  No more than come up with a grand Idea (illegal not withstanding) only to find someone has already dunnit. :ph34r:

Wadda bummer.  Thought sure I had something. :wacko:  Not that I was actually serious.  But hey, ya gotta poke fun sometime!! :D

28 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

That's already been done by an Italian company.

image.png

Use of that ILLEGAL ammunition for SASS competition is subject to a MATCH DQ

(official ruling as of July 2020

Looks like a suppository for...Aw, never mind.

Howdy Shotshell taperers,

I seem to remember someone on some forum said that a certain sized 12 point socket would make an acceptable and less expensive alternative to the special tools discussed here. I as usual don't remember the size or where it was mentioned. Maybe some younger and less mentally impaired cowboy could weigh in with the answer and save us some money.

Rev. Chase

We bought one from Big Iron Buster. No it wasn't inexpensive. My wife had been using the hand tool, this works much better. Doing it on the cart, as the shells go into your shotgun slide helps ensure the taper stays put.

On a side note, I committed to the purchase before knowing the cost, had I known, I might not have purchased the tool.

I'm glad I bought it, Slo Mo and myself love it. 

Tully

Archived