SASS Wire Forum

No longer available WTS 1858 Remington revolving carbine in 45 colt with additional 44 BP cylinder. Price Dropped

Jesse Evans

My brain has a problem with the barrel being 44 caliber with a .429 bullet and putting 45 colt chamber with bullets at .452, math says that .023 difference? And Schofield is even larger.

I have loaded for 35 years for USPSA, IPDA, IPSC, Long range and cowboy. Again .44 to .45 is a big difference to squeeze down a barrel.

Smokewagon Grampies 

13 minutes ago, jeeper90 said:

My brain has a problem with the barrel being 44 caliber with a .429 bullet and putting 45 colt chamber with bullets at .452, math says that .023 difference? And Schofield is even larger.

I have loaded for 35 years for USPSA, IPDA, IPSC, Long range and cowboy. Again .44 to .45 is a big difference to squeeze down a barrel.

Smokewagon Grampies 

Black powder revolvers are assigned caliber designations using different measurements than modern firearms.

A .44 caliber revolver actually had a barrel blank bored to around .44” and then the rifling was cut to a depth of .452”

A modern .45 Colt revolver has the same rifling depth.

A .36 caliber black powder revolver has a bore of around .36” with the rifling cut to .375”

Modern revolvers in that range are not even close - a .38 Special actually has around a .34 something bore with rifling cut to .357”

44 C&B revolvers use .451-.457 balls. .36 caliber C&B guns use .380 balls. Just the way it is.

Can measure from groove base to groove base or land tip to land tip.

BP guns left room for patch material.

• Jesse Evans changed the title to No longer available WTS 1858 Remington revolving carbine in 45 colt with additional 44 BP cylinder. Price Dropped

Archived