SASS Wire Forum

A Little Muggy For California

Subdeacon Joe

I would love to have your temperatures.  These are the current readings at our locale.  Yes I choose to live here (Especially since I like eating...) and know this comes with the territory.  That doesn't make it any more bearable.

Partly Cloudy

90°F

32°C

Humidity66%

Wind SpeedE 9 mph

Barometer29.88 in (1011.6 mb)

Dewpoint77°F (25°C)

Visibility10.00 mi

Heat Index103°F (39°C)

Last update16 Aug 4:53 pm EDT

3 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

I would love to have your temperatures.  These are the current readings at our locale.  Yes I choose to live here (Especially since I like eating...) and know this comes with the territory.  That doesn't make it any more bearable.

Partly Cloudy

90°F

32°C

Humidity66%

Wind SpeedE 9 mph

Barometer29.88 in (1011.6 mb)

Dewpoint77°F (25°C)

Visibility10.00 mi

Heat Index103°F (39°C)

Last update16 Aug 4:53 pm EDT

I've been following the weather in KY, specifically Jessamine County, where we will be moving in 2024.  Last week they were having temperatures and humidity similar to yours.  Or higher humidity.  And it doesn't really cool off at night.

We'll adapt.

26 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

That little bit of humidity makes no appreciable difference (.6 of a degree) according to NOAA.

Heat Index Calculator

Oh, the "feels like" twitched up a whole degree!  But the air feels heavy and a little sticky. Being raised in Vista, California I got used to humidity in single digits with temperatures like this.

Here in Sonoma County it's a little bit higher, but usually under 15% when it's pushing the century mark.

It's so hot here, two hobbits tried to drop a ring into our pool, and the fire hydrants are fighting over a dog.
106 this afternoon.

I curse the fools who walk their dogs on the hot pavement here.

image.weather.hot.sacramento.street.01.sfw.jpg

73 right now with 60% humidity in NE Ohio. Even though it's not hot it's still humid and not real comfortable. 

15 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I've been following the weather in KY, specifically Jessamine County, where we will be moving in 2024.  Last week they were having temperatures and humidity similar to yours.  Or higher humidity.  And it doesn't really cool off at night.

We'll adapt.

I remember the first time I visited So, Cal. in 1982 I stayed with my cousin who lived in the San Fernando Valley. We were driving around and I noticed the temp signs on the banks said 95!! I said to my cousin, "That has to be wrong", it was warm but comfortable. He said, The humidity is about 15%! Wow what a difference. 95 degrees here in NE OHIO we would probably have 70-80% humidity! You could cut the air with a knife!:P

I was on a fire in Montana years ago and during the morning briefing the forecast was for overnight humidity in the 30% range. The Crew member from South Carolina was puzzled about why we were all excited when that was Critical Fire Danger at home. 

We are currently 97* F with 14% Humidity, headed for 109* this afternoon. 

Archived