SASS Wire Forum

Journey To The Center Of The Earth

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

The one with James Mason and Pat Boone.  Hadn't seen it in years, but you know what?  It's still a pretty good movie....for an oldie with no computer graphics.  

Consider getting a copy and watching it yourself.  I thing most of you would enjoy it.

14 hours ago, Muggle said:

Hhmm, the one i saw had Brandon Frazer on it. Guess it's not the same movie.

No. That’s more of a comedy.  No comparison.

15 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

I saw it when it first came out................'bout 200 yrs ago.....................Sheez, I feel old!

Yep it was a talky and even had COLOR.  Great flick.  Now Pat Boone is doing commercials for Relief Factor.  He is in his late 80s.

Have both versions.

When nieces and nephews are around they love the Brendan Frazer version and it is okay.

Once they go home I quietly drag out the Pat Boone version and really enjoy that one.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Guess that makes me one of the "getting old" crowd :)

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Yep it was a talky and even had COLOR.  Great flick.  Now Pat Boone is doing commercials for Relief Factor.  He is in his late 80s.

It's on TCM every once in a while.  Boone has a one hour radio show on Sirius every week.  Lots of stories about the early R&R singers.  He knew them all.

There were a few other movie adaptations of Jules Verne novels made in the late 50s/early 60s. Mysterious Island, Five Weeks in a Balloon, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, Around the World in Eighty Days. Another good one, though not a Verne book was The Time Machine.

9 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

There were a few other movie adaptations of Jules Verne novels made in the late 50s/early 60s. Mysterious Island, Five Weeks in a Balloon, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, Around the World in Eighty Days. Another good one, though not a Verne book was The Time Machine.

The golden age of science fiction.

18 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

That's OK; H.G.Wells was on the same level as Jules Verne.

LL

49 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

Two versions of The Time Machine.  Both are very good.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Two versions of The Time Machine.  Both are very good.

I didn't know that, I just know the one with Rod Taylor.

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The golden age of science fiction.

Great time to grow up.

I remember waiting in line to get our tickets to see Five Weeks in a Balloon (1962). I was 7 and didn't know who Red Buttons was. Looking at the marquee poster I said that Red Buttons must be the chimp. An older and obviously much more worldly kid set me straight:lol:

Red Buttons. I heard him tell this story on himself on some daytime talk show - Mike Douglas, maybe.

He was traveling with Anthony Quinn. And they had just arrived in Italy from Germany. Everybody they met knew who Anthony Quinn was. No one had ever heard of Red Buttons. So Quinn talked him up to all the hotel staff, and they was all excited about having that famous actor, Buttino Rojo.

And when the bellboy took his luggage up to his room, he decided to live up to all the hype that Quinn had spouted, and give the bellboy a good tip. Gave him 10 lira.

Bellboy gives him a dirty look, and as he's leaving the room he's mumbling something nasty in Italian that includes the words Buttino Rojo.

He says "we just come from Germany, where we had been for a while. I was used to German money. 10 marks was about $5. That's a good tip. Ten lira, on the other hand, is about a penny and a half."

Archived