SASS Wire Forum

Lookin' For Ideas...

Shepherd Book

So I am running a Dillon 550C to make all the ca'tridges the wife is now shootin' up.  Just installed the KMSquared LED light system and it makes a world of difference, but now I got a hankerin' to figure out some sort of angled mirror setup to see down into the case to ensure it is charged before bullet seating.  Tried an inspection mirror and did not get it right.  Anyone else out there figure out something like this yet, or know of an aftermarket accessory that lets you see the powder in the case?  Thanks!  SB

How about a camera instead of a mirror. Like the one below,  positioned to look into the case and hooked up to a phone or better yet a larger iPad so it is easier to see than trying to see in a little mirror. 

just an out of the box thought.  

60D101F7-AA07-4101-9D36-3DEFFE387EBF.jpeg

If you have an iPhone there is the same borescope with a handheld viewer with 4.5" 1080P screen, rechargeable battery for $45.99 on Amazon.

Just my opinion, you’re chasing a problem that ain’t there.  
I too worried about missing or double charging on the 550. But if you establish a routine, stick to it, don’t talk on phone or watch tv while loading, the risk of under/overcharging is minimal. 

I tried the lights, camera etc. the camera definitely more trouble than it’s worth

On my 550 with a press light (not sure which one, came with the deal), I can look down and see powder in the bottom of the case (currently 3.2 gr WST.  Can't see the whole bottom of the case, but just enough to see that powder is in there.  That is the first thing I look for after each priming stroke before rotating the shell plate.

30 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Just my opinion, you’re chasing a problem that ain’t there.  
I too worried about missing or double charging on the 550. But if you establish a routine, stick to it, don’t talk on phone or watch tv while loading, the risk of under/overcharging is minimal. 

I tried the lights, camera etc. the camera definitely more trouble than it’s worth

Just be sure the couple of little screws under the base where the shell plate mounts on the 550 are secure.  Decades of loading, my only bad rounds.  No serious harm, just a 1911 barrel bulged, and a couple hundred rounds of 45 ACP disassembled and recycled.

Try a RCBS lockout die after your powder station, they are fantastic, if your more than app 3 tenths above or below your setting they lock up the press and let you know something’s wrong, I have never had a missed charge or overloaded charge since I started using one, their great for catching powder bridging that happens with big flake powders that end up giving you a lite load on one shell and a heavy charge on the next, you will only be looking in the case when the die tells you something is wrong, I have one set up for my 45 colt and a second one set up for my 38’s, can not say enough good things about them

10 minutes ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

Try a RCBS lockout die after your powder station, they are fantastic, if your more than app 3 tenths above or below your setting they lock up the press and let you know something’s wrong, I have never had a missed charge or overloaded charge since I started using one, their great for catching powder bridging that happens with big flake powders that end up giving you a lite load on one shell and a heavy charge on the next, you will only be looking in the case when the die tells you something is wrong, I have one set up for my 45 colt and a second one set up for my 38’s, can not say enough good things about them

But there are only 4 stations on a 550 press, so seat/crimp would have to be done together.

I do seat/crimping at the same station on both 45 and 38, I bought a set of the RCBS cowboy dies and they work well, don’t really think they are any different than other dies I have but they are supposed to be made just for that purpose and that gives me room for my powder check die

I recommend the RCBS powder lock-out die, not just the powder cop (indicator rod) die.  Because then I don't have to look at the cop die every stroke.  Just another thing to keep things simple and reliable.

On most cartridges for our non-precision minute-of-steel at 5 yards competitions, I give up NOTHING by using a combined seat/crimp die.   Even on my .45 auto loads.  Ten extra seconds to adjust that seat/crimp die properly, and I never mess with it again for at least a year at time.

Having a separate seat and crimp die is needed in precision rifle shooting at 500 or 1500 yards.  Or perhaps for NRA pistol bullseye matches.  Not much needed for our shooting.

good luck, GJ

I also use a RCBS lock-out die at station 3 on my 550. I am happy with it and I find loading is more relaxed. I had to get used to place the bullet on station 4 instead of 3, it happened on a couple rounds that I placed it under the lock-out die (I still use my left hand to seat the bullet).

The OAL maybe was a tad more accurate and the crimp a bit nicer with separate seating and crimping dies, but nothing that concerns me.

Archived