SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Clays rules

Chancy Shot, SASS #67163

For my sins, I am in charge of the side matches for our Fall Roundup.  It has been suggested that we add Cowboy Clays to the list of side matches.  What is the typical setup and rules for this event.  I understand that side match rules are up to the Match Director (me) but I don't want to come up with something on my own and disappoint our shooters.  What say the fire?

Chancy

What kind of shotgun ranges/courses do you have available to throw birds on?

Three major options, and a few minor options that I've shot.

You can make it open for all shotguns, but to "level the field" for cowboys, I like to see cowboy-match-legal shotguns only.

1) Trap, but shoot close enough that a cylinder bore shotgun is not going to penalize the shooter.  Shooting a round of singles (25 shots) from the 16 yard line is about right.  Keep score like normal.  Best score wins or gets into a shoot-off.

2) Skeet - shoot it normally.  Keep score.  Best score wins or gets invited to a shoot-off.

3) Sporting clays - have the course set up like they would for a Charity or Corporate shoot - that is, with fairly easy birds.   Shoot a 50 shot course, unless folks are very short of time.   Or, if there is a Five-Stand course, shoot 25 shots on that.  With Charity birds thrown.

Then there are "hunting courses" like a quail walk or a pair of wobble traps - all more complicated to explain and manage.

If you have to make up a course, find and setup traps, order birds, and decide the rules to use, and you have never done this before, be AWARE IT IS EASY TO SCREW THIS THING UP.   Best if YOU don't do it, but find someone who knows the games, and knows the safety aspects (especially locations of traps and shooting stations, and loading and fixing traps).  Then let them take the lead.  The folks who run the trap or skeet or sporting clays range would probably be very willing to set up a course to be shot, especially if you shoot after the main crowd at the clays range goes home - like 2 to 5 PM in the afternoon, or not on weekend days.

good luck, GJ

Whatever you do, if you advertise black powder categories actually honor them!  I have hauled shotguns a thousand miles only to be told that black powder was cancelled.

Our range has no shotgun ranges at all.  Anything we do would have to be easy to set up and take down.  We thought to buy a bird thrower and use it for some kind of side match.  Cowboy Clays looks like more that we want to take on.  

However, with a shotgun and a bird thrower, I can think of several games to play.  We just won't call it Cowboy Clays.  

Eaxample - At the beep, the bird is launched.  A single shot is timed.  Shortest time with a hit wins.    Or Longest time with a hit wins.    Does that sound interesting??

Chancy

Do you have any shotgun facilities within 5 or 10 miles - something that could be driven in 15 minutes?

I would not try to use a timer on something that involves the reaction time of the person pulling the trap, then the time that the shooter takes.  Too nit-picky and technically challenging for most shooters to execute reliably.

Most "informal" shotgun games involve just judging a hit or miss on the target. 

Annie Oakley is one that can be used with up to about 10 shooters at a time.   Shooters line up along the firing line  A bird is thrown moderately hard in a safe direction down range, away from all of the shooters.  First shooter must shoot, and if they break the bird, that's the end of that shooter's turn.  Then next shooter in line gets a shot at next bird thrown (on his call).  If he does not break it, and bird has not yet hit the ground, next shooter(s) in line can shoot in order.  If one breaks the bird in air, all who shot and missed sit down.  If no one breaks bird, nobody leaves.  If someone shoots AFTER the bird has broken in air or on ground, or shoots out of turn, THAT shooter sits down, too..   Next bird always starts with the person AFTER the last to shoot.  Gets interesting when the shot order reaches the end of the line and wraps around to the front of the line.   Keep going until all but one shooter is eliminated.

Only allow one shell in a gun, and only when on the firing line, muzzle down range.

And, you can have a "loser's bracket",  where anyone who wants to shoot again can get in line and shoot a second time.  Winner from that may go into a one-on-one shootoff, or perhaps with the last four left in the "winner's bracket" line.   More chances to shoot.

For cowboy open choke shotguns, I'd set the trap elevation to have the bird hit the ground at no more than 50 yards.  No use throwing one 80 yards or so when the pattern opens "too wide" by the time the shot is  35 yards out.

Only needs one trap,  only need a few birds, over with quickly.  And lots of spectator interest - something lots of side matches don't have.  Watch out for TOO MUCH LAUGHING.  Only needs a trap loader/puller and an "impartial" sharp-eyed judge to run things.

good luck, GJ

Archived