SASS Wire Forum

Couple of non-SASS Gun Questions - See page 3. I bought a Kel-Tec CP33

Pat Riot

ON PAGE 3 I have a post about my new ugly gun.

1. I am considering buying a .22 Semiauto purely for target and plinking fun. It may be used on varmints, but rarely if at all. I was considering buying a Glock 44 but decided I want something accurate with iron sights. I am buying “brand new” so if it ain’t available “new” I am not interested. 

What do you all recommend for an accurate, affordable  .22 semiauto? Not looking for Olympic grade. 

2. Do any of you have experience with a Smith & Wesson Governor?

It dawned on me the other day that I could not own one of these ugly beasts in CA because it’s considered a “sawed off” or short barrel shotgun. I was offered a chance at owning one of these at a really good price in Oregon, but I knew I was headed back to CA and didn’t want to risk bringing it into the state. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wholeheartedly agree with the two gentlemen above.  :)

The only reason I don't have a Mark IV is because I live in california, where it is deemed unsafe, as it is not  manufactured with useless information micro-engraved on its firing pin.

I do have a Mark II which I have thoroughly enjoyed for forty years.  The Mark IV is a definite upgrade from the Mark II.

Mark IIimage.jpeg.b9713d38b31c6e2c3773643616aa0c0d.jpeg

Mark IVimage.jpeg.18a8f63429eddef162124af8667aa95b.jpeg

+howevermany to the Ruger MK IV

S&W Governor - If I were looking at the S&W or the Taurus Judge, I'd go with the Governor.  Six round capacity of.410-bore shotshells, 45 Colt or 45 ACP.  Now, why do you want one?  If it's just to have one- buy it.  If you do a lot of gardening or hiking where you can open-carry, it'd be a decent sidearm for snakes or maybe dogs loaded with shotgun shells.  Beyond those two uses, I feel it's just a novelty.

I will say, the Judge did a pretty good number on some roosters at about four feet using .410s.

Thanks Pards, a Ruger Mk IV is on the short list. 

@Capt. James H. CallahanI got your PM and responded. Thank you. 

18 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

+howevermany to the Ruger MK IV

S&W Governor - If I were looking at the S&W or the Taurus Judge, I'd go with the Governor.  Six round capacity of.410-bore shotshells, 45 Colt or 45 ACP.  Now, why do you want one?  If it's just to have one- buy it.  If you do a lot of gardening or hiking where you can open-carry, it'd be a decent sidearm for snakes or maybe dogs loaded with shotgun shells.  Beyond those two uses, I feel it's just a novelty.

I will say, the Judge did a pretty good number on some roosters at about four feet using .410s.

It is just a whimsy. Something I was thinking about. I was considering one for a bike gun. Something to keep in my saddlebags for emergencies. 

I had a Buckmark , Woodsman and Ruger all at the same time , the only one I still own in the Ruger . Not that there was anything the matter with the other two . The Ruger is like a 1911, glock or S&W revolver. There’s just so many aftermarket goodie’s for it you can make it into anything you want. 
I have to admit this one interests me , but I never have shot one 

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/sw22-victory

Forgot to add that the Ruger MK IV comes with two different grip styles.

The standard and the 22/45.

The standard is a billet aluminum lower with the grip angles like the Mk I and Mk II 

The 22/45 has a polymer lower with a grip angle very similar to a 1911.

I put a Volquartsen Trigger group in mine as well as a Tandem Kross Halo charging handle.

While I am a proponent of the Ruger, I recently picked up a Taurus TX22. I really like it. It is a tack driver and came with an optic.I like it a lot.

I love my Ruger Mark III, but my choice goes to a Wilson Combat 22 conversion kit I use on top of my Colt Gold Cup slide.  It was made by J.A. Ciener, of Florida, in the 1990s, and it shoots great.  Of course, the action is pure Colt Gold Cup, with a 2.75 pound trigger.

Browning Buckmark

1985 edition.

Super accurate. Reliable.

52 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Does the Mark IV have a magazine disconnect?

44 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Yes

Well that right there would turn me off of it. Absolutely despise them things.

2 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I have no problem with it on a target pistol.

Ruger.... I have an old MK II with the tapered barrel. Used it for a few years to shoot Bullseye. Rested it made a hole about the size of a dime with ten shots at 50 feet. With me holding it. :)

52 minutes ago, Alpo said:

They can be eliminated. I put in the Volquartsen trigger kit , it eliminates it .

There’s so much after market support for them you can make them whatever you want 

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

There are multiple ways to delete the magazine disconnect safety.  I took mine out of my Mark III years ago.  The trigger pull is vastly improved by removing the magazine disconnect.  

Question: Other than grip angle snd composition are there any other differences between the standard grip and the 22/45 grip? 

I honestly know very little about the various .22 semiauto pistols. 

20 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Question: Other than grip angle snd composition are there any other differences between the standard grip and the 22/45 grip? 

I bought a 22/45 back in the early aughts, or maybe the late 90s. I tried to like that gun. I had a Mark I (still do) and I really liked Rugers, but that thing. They said it had the same grip shape as a 1911. They lied. Said the controls were just like a 1911. Again they lied. They were in the same place, but they weren't shaped the same and they did not feel the same when you operated them. And then, of course, the piece of junk was made of plastic. I kept it for about a year and a half, and then sold it to somebody that loves the hell out of it.

35 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I don't believe magazines can interchange between the two.  I don't know if the fire control parts are the same or not.

I actually like the glock 44 , seems accurate to me as does the ruger.  My favorite is the 22 conversion on a beretta m92.  Has a 15 round mag.  Accurate. 

I really like my S & W governor.   My son killed a rattlesnake with it, I have as well.  45 auto and 45lc do not recoil much in the governor.   6 shot 410 does but 7 does not.  Has good range with the 410.  My son wants his own.  

6 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

I don't believe magazines can interchange between the two.  I don't know if the fire control parts are the same or not.

Correct, the magazines, magazine release, bolt release are different.  Sights can be different.  Most other parts are the same or the aftermarket makes them compatible with both.

The Ruger Standard with an aftermarket rubber grip like Vulquartsen or Hogue is good.  

I have a Ruger and a couple of Buckmarks. I like them all. A friend of mine bought a Smith and Wesson performance center Victory. Smith should be ashamed of building such a piece of crap...and their quality control. Last I knew...they had sent him a shipping label to return it.

Archived