SASS Wire Forum

Couple of non-SASS Gun Questions - See page 3. I bought a Kel-Tec CP33

Pat Riot

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Pards. 

Tomorrow I am going to a range that rents guns. It’s the only one around here. Unfortunately the only gun they have for rent in my list is the Ruger Mk IV. They don’t have the Victory or the Buckmark. They do have guns like the Ruger SR2/, the S&W M&P 22, the Glock 44, the Taurus TX22?. I am not really interested in those so I will just be renting the Mk IV… I will have to see if they have that Walther that Widder recommended.  I didn’t ask about the Kel Tec CP33 and I didn’t see one in their case. 

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Okay, I guess I am confused. I thought the Ruger Mk IV had a simple push button takedown already.

My goal here isn’t to buy a gun that needs a bunch of doodads to make it “better”.

Isn’t this how it comes from the factory?

The current model is a the Mk IV which is eliminated the PITA reassembly issue of the previous models.  Follow this link to find out why they are a PITA to reassemble.  https://www.hammerstrutsupport.com/

Buy the Mk IV to not have the issue.

It's worth noting that some of us modify our pistols not because they need it, but because we can.

Most manufacturers target a price point as well as a degree of quality and functionality, so a

$400 pistol will not have the best of parts and hand fitting and a match grade barrel (generally speaking).

It won't be a S&W mdl 41!

Once you've shot a pistol for a while you might find that the trigger could be just a few ounces or

perhaps a pound lighter, or perhaps the safety is just too tiny to hit reliably or rest your thumb on, or

perhaps it just keeps getting bumped into the safe position mid-string.  Or you might just want to put

some racing stripes on it to make it go faster - what ever.

What's nice is that there is a cottage industry that allows you to do these things after the fact, so that

once you decide your basic .22 that does everything you want pretty good, can be made to do things

just a bit better!

Not a whole lot different then buying a mdl '73 and adding short stroke kit, or adding a 4th cocking

click to a Ruger revolver - you don't need it and probably never will, but it's nice to have a choice.

Just my $0.02 worth on that side issue.

SC

19 hours ago, ShadowCatcher said:

It's worth noting that some of us modify our pistols not because they need it, but because we can.

Most manufacturers target a price point as well as a degree of quality and functionality, so a

$400 pistol will not have the best of parts and hand fitting and a match grade barrel (generally speaking).

It won't be a S&W mdl 41!

Once you've shot a pistol for a while you might find that the trigger could be just a few ounces or

perhaps a pound lighter, or perhaps the safety is just too tiny to hit reliably or rest your thumb on, or

perhaps it just keeps getting bumped into the safe position mid-string.  Or you might just want to put

some racing stripes on it to make it go faster - what ever.

What's nice is that there is a cottage industry that allows you to do these things after the fact, so that

once you decide your basic .22 that does everything you want pretty good, can be made to do things

just a bit better!

Not a whole lot different then buying a mdl '73 and adding short stroke kit, or adding a 4th cocking

click to a Ruger revolver - you don't need it and probably never will, but it's nice to have a choice.

Just my $0.02 worth on that side issue.

SC

I do understand and I have nothing against people doing as they please with their guns and money, but I am not looking to buy a gun that automatically needs upgrading. :)

At least not upgrading it until I know it needs upgrading. ;) And any gun thst needs upgrading slips down the list for future buys should I desire another in the same class. 

I love 22s. I own almost every one mentioned here. 

Mark III and IV (two of my oldest guns I own, everyone should own one)

Buckmark (originally bought for my basic pistol class, it's a great gun. (IMO better that the MkIII equal to the IV)

Glock 44  (because it's the same size as the G19 and is cheaper to train with my duty gear on)

S&W M&P22  (inexpensive, my all around go to 22 pistol, mine is suppressed and works flawlessly, i've killed many a nuisance varmint with it)

S&W Model 41 (it's just a fantastic target pistol)

22/45 (completely tricked with volquartsen and tandem cross goodies, tack driver, RDS, but it is a very expensive gun in its current state)

PMR 30 (22mag and you must get the MCARBO aluminium feed ramp and the american speedloader nest mag loader, it'll then shoot anything and everything with zero jams, by far the most fun gun in this list for shooting)

Along with several 22 revolvers.

I cannot say anything bad about any of these guns. They all have their high points and their mid points. Not one has any low points IMO. They are all great guns.

If I had to pick only one? It would be tough but probably a close call between the 22/45 and the PMR 30 giving the edge to the PMR30 due to it does everything well, specifically with the MCARBO kit. It's light, extremely accurate, very high mag capacity, inexpensive, and the mag dumps (which I don't normally care for) are an absolute blast. It's a great value even with the upgrades, and it's 22 mag. The 22/45 is also very fun and much cheaper to shoot due to ammo cost. 

With that said IF I had to start selling firearms every one of these would be some of the very last ones that would go.

JEL  

I got to try out the Ruger Mk IV Target (blued) and the 22/45 Lite today at a shooting range here in Morgantown. Nice range!

I definitely like the 22/45. 
I do not care for the standard grip angle of the Mk IV Target. So, if I decide on the Ruger it will be the 22/45 grip style. 

Damn you Pat!

:lol:

I just had to go the gun store yesterday because I wanted to see if I remembered the Mk IV as fondly as I do (as well as remembering that it wasn't that comfortable even if I could put a 10 round group inside a silver dollar at 15 yards back then), and now I'm looking real sharp at the MK IV 22/45 because the darn thing fits my hand real nice, and I wouldn't mind having a good shootin' .22 as part of my ""group" therapy sessions...

Now when the wife and I go to the range on Sunday, we're going to have to rent the 22/45 they have down there and prove to myself I might still be able to put a group together, assuming I can slow down for once...

34 minutes ago, Red Eye Jim said:

Damn you Pat!

:lol:

I just had to go the gun store yesterday because I wanted to see if I remembered the Mk IV as fondly as I do (as well as remembering that it wasn't that comfortable even if I could put a 10 round group inside a silver dollar at 15 yards back then), and now I'm looking real sharp at the MK IV 22/45 because the darn thing fits my hand real nice, and I wouldn't mind having a good shootin' .22 as part of my ""group" therapy sessions...

Now when the wife and I go to the range on Sunday, we're going to have to rent the 22/45 they have down there and prove to myself I might still be able to put a group together, assuming I can slow down for once...

Glad I could help. :lol:

I did like the way that 22/45 Lite handled. 

• Pat Riot changed the title to Couple of non-SASS Gun Questions - See page 3. I bought a Kel-Tec CP33

Well, here it is:

“Midnight Bronze” Kel-Tec CP33

34F9961A-8E23-4CD9-B825-4943FF7E0689.thumb.jpeg.f40ff7618f6fe7ce04bef7efcf473f69.jpeg

Comes with 2 - 33 round mags

7AD25F5C-77DB-496D-A966-53D76EA4FAD7.thumb.jpeg.44cdd506b33173f9b7bd5e7f1b06a9aa.jpeg

And the thing I removed after taking this photo…the damned CA Prop 65 warning on a gun you cannot buy in The Big C.

954CEF34-09F5-4FFB-8C98-F6FB675E5198.thumb.jpeg.5dff7b4f1705a2cecacebdf27278a45e.jpeg

This gun retails nearly everywhere for $699.00. I got it for $499.00 at ATR in Fairmont WV. They had Ruger 22/45 Lites for $529.00. Everyone else is charging over $600 around here. 

I decided on the CP33 because of the reviews and videos I found online. As soon as I put it in my hand and pointed it at a mark on the wall and the sights were lined up I knew this was the gun for me. I like the way it feels and points. 

Thank you all for your input. 

Tomorrow it goes to the range. :D

On 8/30/2022 at 7:49 PM, sassnetguy50 said:

I took it to the range today and shot 10 rounds each of 10 different high velocity.22 LR ammo. Had a few jams right off the bat but that’s to be expected. All 10 styles of ammo grouped well, some hit low, some high. 100 rounds does not make a break in period but it was enough to indicate to me that this gun is a good shooter. 
I thought it funny that it seemed to like Aguila ammo and Federal blue box and black box. No FTEs or feeding issues. I think I will take it to the range again soon and pound out 2 or 3 hundred more rounds then try an accuracy test. 
I really like the way this gun points and the way it feels. It’s a strange looking thing but I do believe I am going to like this gun. 
Oh, and I need a magazine loader. My thumb was getting a work out today. 

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I took it to the range today and shot 10 rounds each of 10 different high velocity.22 LR ammo. Had a few jams right off the bat but that’s to be expected. All 10 styles of ammo grouped well, some hit low, some high. 100 rounds does not make a break in period but it was enough to indicate to me that this gun is a good shooter. 
I thought it funny that it seemed to like Aguila ammo and Federal blue box and black box. No FTEs or feeding issues. I think I will take it to the range again soon and pound out 2 or 3 hundred more rounds then try an accuracy test. 
I really like the way this gun points and the way it feels. It’s a strange looking thing but I do believe I am going to like this gun. 

How was the trigger? I haven't shot a KelTec in years but the last one I shot seemed like it had a 15lb trigger and was "crunchy" too boot.

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

How was the trigger? I haven't shot a KelTec in years but the last one I shot seemed like it had a 15lb trigger and was "crunchy" too boot.

It has a pressure free take up, maybe 1/4” then breaks very clean an crisp. I and guessing maybe 3-3.5#. Reset is short. I am very pleased with the trigger. 

The only other experience I have with Keltec is that I had a P3AT that had a “crunchy” trigger. I never bothered correcting it because I didn’t own it long. Most painful gun I have ever owned. :lol: The trigger bit me with every shot snd the trigger guard slapped my finger with every shot. Double Whammy. I ditched it. 

11 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Don't know if it is any good but I did find this nice tutorial for loading CP33mags.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Don't know if it is any good but I did find this nice tutorial for loading CP33mags.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

This one looks much easier

Thanks very much. I was considering this one for the CP33 mags. 

Ludex Magazine Speed Loader for Glock 9mm/.40 and KEL-TEC PMR-30/CP33/CMR-30.Fits Glock 17,18,19,22,23,24,26,27,34,35,45 and 47 https://a.co/ecqT1Op

But, after watching that first video I am not so sure the Ludex will work the way it should. After loading magazines yesterday I found it’s real important to make sure the cartridges seat all the way to the rear. Since MCARBO made such a great video snd I learned something from it I will buy theirs to start with. 
I apparently overlooked the part about 40+ grain bullets. That might explain some things about jamming yesterday. 
Thst second one from American Speedloader has some stipulations on bullet shapes being round nose on their website. 
The thing that worries me with the Ludex and the American is I cannot tell what mechanism is seating the cartridge. While it looks good on video I am not sure that the unit isn’t spreading the mag lips a bit. With plastic mags you gotta watch that or you create paperweights out of them. 
I think I will buy the MCARBO to start and then maybe the American Speedloader. I am sure the Ludex is Chinese. 

Thank you for the videos. 

On 8/30/2022 at 12:11 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

And the thing I removed after taking this photo…the damned CA Prop 65 warning on a gun you cannot buy in The Big C.

954CEF34-09F5-4FFB-8C98-F6FB675E5198.thumb.jpeg.5dff7b4f1705a2cecacebdf27278a45e.jpeg

Pat, I gotta confess, I did chuckle when I saw that.

But it was a sad chuckle~!   :rolleyes:

On 8/30/2022 at 3:11 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, here it is:

“Midnight Bronze” Kel-Tec CP33

34F9961A-8E23-4CD9-B825-4943FF7E0689.thumb.jpeg.f40ff7618f6fe7ce04bef7efcf473f69.jpeg

Comes with 2 - 33 round mags

7AD25F5C-77DB-496D-A966-53D76EA4FAD7.thumb.jpeg.44cdd506b33173f9b7bd5e7f1b06a9aa.jpeg

This gun retails nearly everywhere for $699.00. I got it for $499.00 at ATR in Fairmont WV. They had Ruger 22/45 Lites for $529.00. Everyone else is charging over $600 around here. 

I decided on the CP33 because of the reviews and videos I found online. As soon as I put it in my hand and pointed it at a mark on the wall and the sights were lined up I knew this was the gun for me. I like the way it feels and points. 

Thank you all for your input. 

Tomorrow it goes to the range. :D

I think you just wanted something you couldn’t have in CA , lots’a  boolets :) 

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I think you just wanted something you couldn’t have in CA , lots’a  boolets :) 

Yeah! And it’s fun! :lol:

I've been doing a little reading on this gun. Regarding the failure to feed, one thing that I've read is that "slamming" a full mag into the gun can cause FTFs. The suggestion was to use normal pressure when inserting the mag, not an AR-15 type mag change. Also read, as you mentioned, that it helps to have the rounds fully seated toward the rear of the mag.

For those interested in the gun. Palmetto State has the same model w/two mags, as Pat has shown, for below $500 shipped. I'm tempted, really tempted...

6 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I've been doing a little reading on this gun. Regarding the failure to feed, one thing that I've read is that "slamming" a full mag into the gun can cause FTFs. The suggestion was to use normal pressure when inserting the mag, not an AR-15 type mag change. Also read, as you mentioned, that it helps to have the rounds fully seated toward the rear of the mag.

For those interested in the gun. Palmetto State has the same model w/two mags, as Pat has shown, for below $500 shipped. I'm tempted, really tempted...

I paid $499 for mine and every place else was charging $679 to $699.

Watch the first video @Sedalia Daveposted above. Very interesting and educational on these guns. The rounds I had issues with all had lighter than 40 grain bullets. 

I am taking mine to the range again tomorrow. I hear it calling to me. 

I do believe that info in the MCARBO video regarding the length of the cartridges also having an effect on feeding. The first time I fired this gun the CCI Stingers and Velocitors had feeding issues. I tried them again today and the same thing happened. The bullet makes it into the chamber but the cartridge can’t is such that it hangs up. I tried CCI Mini Mags. Same result. I tried Federal Black Box and Federal Match Blue Box and they ran perfectly. Both Federal rounds are just a little taller when comparing length standing the cartridges next to each other. 

At the end of my range trip today it was obvious it was time for a good cleaning and lube. 
If I can find my calipers this weekend I will do some measurements on these cartridges. 

Still haven’t found my calipers. You would think as many times as I have moved I would have a better system for identifying what is what. 

This morning I cleaned my CP33 and lubed it. I went to the range with Federal Black box 40 grain HV and done Winchester  lSuper X 40 grain HV copper coated hollow points. 
I loaded 10 rounds at a time in my 2 mags. 
I ran 150 rounds of Federal with zero issues. 
As I was loading the Super X rounds I was noticing how gummy they are with wax.

I shot 50 rounds flawlessly. On the 6th mag I had a failure to feed on the 7th round. On the 7th mag I had the exact same issue.  The 8th mag was flawless. The 9th mag had a FTF on round 3 then a stovepipe empty with one in the chamber on round 6. I shot the last 4 rounds and stopped shooting. 

Now, I don’t know if I had continued with Federal if I wouldn’t have had those issues. The Super X shot fairly accurately. A little bit better than the Federal, but I do wonder if the gumminess of the Super X played a part in the malfunctions or is the gun just dirty. 

I guess I will have to clean it up and do it again soon…Darn! :rolleyes:

Archived