SASS Wire Forum

Failure to fire

Lawdog Dago Dom

If you have ruled out a box of bad primers (almost nonexistent with new primers) and since it exists in multiple guns, it’s almost certain that the primers haven’t been seated all the way.  If a primer isn’t seated all the way to the bottom of the primer pocket, the first hammer strike fully seats it, the second fires it.

Try seating a batch of primers with a hand primer, where you can feel the primer seat fully to the bottom.  If they fire then, you’ve found the problem.  I solved this problem on my 550 by putting a shim under the primer seating ram.

If you put a primed cartridge base down on a flat surface, it will not rock if the primer is properly seated.  If you box the finished cartridges, you can close your eyes and run a finger across the primers, any one not seated is immediately obvious. 

I had problems with primer seating on a 550.  There are two small screws under part 14280 (roller bracket shell platform) that need to be tight.  Drove me crazy till I talked to an old timer at Dillon who gave me the fix.

Obviously not the problem here, but FYI, a few years ago (during the Obama component shortage) I had a bunch of Federal SPP that about 10% had no priming compound in them.  The anvil was present in the cup, just no compound.  The faulty primers were randomly scattered with the good ones.  Until I used up that lot, I would use a primer flipper tray to get the primers upside-down and inspect each one to sort out the "bad" ones.  I contacted Federal and they had me send them some of the faulty primers.  They contacted me back, saying "Yep, no priming compound"!!! 

Archived