SASS Wire Forum

need help/guidance on Puma 92 in .45 caliber

Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L

Pard's got one

when he cycles it in the matches the empties end up vertical in the top and don't eject.  

Is there something we can do or is it best to send it off

if sending it off is the fix who do you recommend to do the work?

(I know my Marlin inside and out out but the Puma is foreign to me)

cheyenne

My Browning 92 would do that with too light of a bullet or too short of a round. Have him try 158gn RNFP bullets loaded at no less than 1.5". Mine ran best at 1.54" which usually meant crimping just forward of the lube groove.

check the opening between the right & left cartridge guides.  Your case is.456 and should just slip thru the guides. That is a .45 cal rifle correct? If too much of opening that shell will wobble. I have 92 Rossi in .38/.357 and had to shim out the right guide for same reason.  I am at jgp3749@cox.net if you want to converse. I have some good info on how to fix if you want, I can send you copies

Best to you pilgrim.

Jackrabbit 

Folks, he said not ejecting the EMPTIES is the problem.

I would look at the extractor not holding the cases against the bolt face, or the  ejector not kicking hard enoùgh.

Your ejector is not working properly.

When was the last time the rifle was deep cleaned? Was the bolt removed, disassembled and thoroughly cleaned?

Send me a PM if you need help with the teardown and reassembly

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Your ejector is not working properly.

When was the last time the rifle was deep cleaned? Was the bolt removed, disassembled and thoroughly cleaned?

Send me a PM if you need help with the teardown and reassembly

Yep thats possible also as Sedalia Dave stated

Look through your brass and check brand.

The grooves are different depths and widths.

Starline has the widest and deepest grooves which allows the extractors to get a better hold on the case rim.

I suggest trying Starline brass before making changes to your rifle.

My Rossi 92s had a problem with ejecting straight up.

Measure the width between the guides and then I put a thin piece of plastic sheet (some product packaging) behind the left side guide.

This cause the cases to jump to the right as they came out.

The plastic sheeting piece does not rust and it will hold screw tightness.

My 45 92 worked great and then one day out of the blue started doing the exact same thing. Did a deep clean and discovered not only was it very dirty under the extractor, but there was also a hairline crack you couldn't see until it was taken off. Replaced after the deep clean and ran like a tank ever since (though I now do a deep clean of the bolt and extractor a couple times a year now

1 hour ago, StirrupTrouble said:

My 45 92 worked great and then one day out of the blue started doing the exact same thing. Did a deep clean and discovered not only was it very dirty under the extractor, but there was also a hairline crack you couldn't see until it was taken off. Replaced after the deep clean and ran like a tank ever since (though I now do a deep clean of the bolt and extractor a couple times a year now

I think I remember that dark day, Stirrup.

Were you shooting a lot of Trailboss loads? 

Just now, Dantankerous said:

I think I remember that dark day, Stirrup.

Were you shooting a lot of Trailboss loads? 

Yep. You were on my posse, and yes I was

Archived