SASS Wire Forum

How Bad Is Recruiting?

Subdeacon Joe

31 minutes ago, Barry Sloe said:

At least the Navy gives you a free cruise.

BS

and free motion sickness pills also.   :lol:

Don't ask me how I know.... :D

..........Widder

I spent a year long all expense paid tour of sunny South East Asia, courtesy of the U. S. Army, back in 1968-1969.

The people weren't all friendly and I never understood why.  I didn't even know their mothers, sisters, daughters, or wives and I never mistreated even one of their dogs.  Guess some of them are just naturally antisocial.

This commercial below and another that I cannot find that announced “Liberty Call! Liberty commences in five minutes…” and showed guys rushing to get ready for liberty then running down a gangway to hop into a rickshaw to be woodshed away on their liberty really hot my interest up in joining the Navy. 
One day at sea it dawned on me what those commercials didn’t show was the months long duration of being at sea before ever getting to hear the words “Liberty Call!” :lol:

3 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I spent a year long all expense paid tour of sunny South East Asia back in 1968-1969.

The people weren't all friendly and I never understood why.  I didn't even know their mothers, sisters, daughters, or wives and I never mistreated even one of their dogs.  Guess some of them are just naturally antisocial.

I've heard them referred to as "cruel hearted little people".

This is a 1995 Marine recruitment video shot at Parris Island. Fast forward through the video to 28:30, IMO it's 1995 boring. There you will find my friend, co-worker, and a True American Hero, Gordon "Lou" Gregory. He is a Silver Star and dual Bronze Star recipient. Back Story: When they were filming this video they wanted a certain DI who was force recon, who they had only heard about through his accolades, do the bit at the end of this video. At the time Lou was out training the new incoming DIs on some multi day march. He arrived back just as the film crew was getting packed up and leave. They asked him if he could give a "real Marine world speech" to "discourage any undesirable recruits" from signing up. The only caveat was that he could not swear.  He said yes and they asked how long would he need to prepare. He said let's do it right now. If you look the sweat bands from his pack are still clearly on his chest. It is so funny to see my 60 year old friend in his prime like this. Lou did 25 years and retired then went into the private sector with Blackwater and Triple Canopy for several years until he retired again and now works for my agency as our armorer. 

Lou is battling health issues right now. He has a bacteria in his lungs that has been resistant to IV antibiotics 5 times a day for the past 2 months . After years of parachuting straight into scuba diving combined with who knows what he's breathed in over his 30+year military career, most of which was spent in the middle east, there is no telling how much damage to his lungs was already there. He has had slow improvement, but if it doesn't get any better they're going to have to remove part of his lung and forced retirement. I pray for him daily, because he is truly an awesome guy.    Hope y'all like this....I did!

JEL

14 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I spent a year long all expense paid tour of sunny South East Asia, courtesy of the U. S. Army, back in 1968-1969.

Thank you for you service Rod. Welcome Home! God Bless You!

JEL

17 hours ago, Barry Sloe said:

BS

On the woke love boat :)

Seriously Even I have had those didnt end well for that Sgt. told him umm calm down 17 years combat disabled with 8 years in combat I think I will pass then he thougth he get smart , after he told me the CO of MEPs here (that I know ) didnt mean anything to him . I went down to his office and called that CO  . never got a follow up wonder why ???? 

Army recruiting is down 45k this year as of last month they are woking and jabbing themselves right out of recruiting, they now accept no GED and whatever bathroom . 

Active Duty is offering all sorts of retention  incentives at even company level No PT for a month 7 day pass and on . 

PS, that text is one of the nicer ones I have seen :)

16 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

This commercial below and another that I cannot find that announced “Liberty Call! Liberty commences in five minutes…” and showed guys rushing to get ready for liberty then running down a gangway to hop into a rickshaw to be woodshed away on their liberty really hot my interest up in joining the Navy. 
One day at sea it dawned on me what those commercials didn’t show was the months long duration of being at sea before ever getting to hear the words “Liberty Call!” :lol:

It’s an adventure all right. :D

7 hours ago, John E. Law said:

This is a 1995 Marine recruitment video shot at Parris Island. Fast forward through the video to 28:30, IMO it's 1995 boring. There you will find my friend, co-worker, and a True American Hero, Gordon "Lou" Gregory. He is a Silver Star and dual Bronze Star recipient. Back Story: When they were filming this video they wanted a certain DI who was force recon, who they had only heard about through his accolades, do the bit at the end of this video. At the time Lou was out training the new incoming DIs on some multi day march. He arrived back just as the film crew was getting packed up and leave. They asked him if he could give a "real Marine world speech" to "discourage any undesirable recruits" from signing up. The only caveat was that he could not swear.  He said yes and they asked how long would he need to prepare. He said let's do it right now. If you look the sweat bands from his pack are still clearly on his chest. It is so funny to see my 60 year old friend in his prime like this. Lou did 25 years and retired then went into the private sector with Blackwater and Triple Canopy for several years until he retired again and now works for my agency as our armorer. 

Lou is battling health issues right now. He has a bacteria in his lungs that has been resistant to IV antibiotics 5 times a day for the past 2 months . After years of parachuting straight into scuba diving combined with who knows what he's breathed in over his 30+year military career, most of which was spent in the middle east, there is no telling how much damage to his lungs was already there. He has had slow improvement, but if it doesn't get any better they're going to have to remove part of his lung and forced retirement. I pray for him daily, because he is truly an awesome guy.    Hope y'all like this....I did!

JEL

Thank you for you service Rod. Welcome Home! God Bless You!

JEL

How come the "hat" isn't wearing his hat?

Col. Bell would have his prescious parts on the wall for that.

A friend joined the Navy at the urging of his father.  The Navy was supposed to be safer than being drafted into the Army.  He trained as a pipe fitter and got orders for a destroyer supposedly cruising off of the coast of Vietnam.  When he arrived in country he was told no one needed pipe fitters.  He was reassigned as a gunner on a Swift Boat.  So much for being safe.

On 8/11/2022 at 7:28 PM, Barry Sloe said:

BS

Maybe. I had 2 friends who never had sea duty at all.

On 8/11/2022 at 6:28 PM, Barry Sloe said:

BS

My youngest grandson is machinist mate nuclear for two years and the only cruises he has been on are no longer than a couple of weeks off Newport News.

On 8/11/2022 at 9:42 PM, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I've heard them referred to as "cruel hearted little people".

They’re just people. Some good some bad.

4 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Maybe. I had 2 friends who never had sea duty at all.

My oldest brother retired with 3 days at sea.  One of those was a family cruise/BBQ on my old ship.

BS

On 8/11/2022 at 9:41 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Why do you think they are so happy to hear the words. It means they get a chance to walk on dry land again. Been that, done there, got the T-shirt.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2022 at 9:14 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

How come the "hat" isn't wearing his hat?

Col. Bell would have his prescious parts on the wall for that.

I've spoken with Lou about your comment and he said he was not under a Colonel Bell. The RTR Commander at that time was a Colonel Rodriguez. He also said that they DO NOT wear the "hat" while out on a week long march. On this particular march they wore their helmets and he literally just got back just then and they wanted to shoot this part of their video, with Lou specifically, which was authorized by Col. Rodriguez and the Marine Corp. He had no time to do anything but take off his pack. 

As for your reply. I read to him he was impressed that you referred to him as a "hat" and then added a profane word added "that guy" referring to you. 

JEL

Archived