SASS Wire Forum

SKB vs CZ

Justified Hellion

Just curious on what you more experienced shooters thoughts are on SxS are?  What do you like or dislike about both SKB or CZ SxS?  Action work and smithing aside, just comparing the 2 guns!  Thank you in advance.  

I started with a Stoeger, but within about 18 months switched to SKBs.  They're lighter for sure.  Some say they're more durable than a Stoeger, but I sold my Stoeger before I wore it out, so I can't verify that. 

At the time I purchased my SKBs they were going for $400-$600 (with careful searching).  The last one I purchased a year or so ago was less than $600.  For those prices an SKB was a no brainer.  Now that they're going for two to three times that price, the premium may not be worth it for some shooters. 

If you do go with an SKB I highly recommend Fast Eddie and his mechanical trigger option.  He leaves the original inertial trigger operative, but adds a mechanical reset.

The older Japanese made SKBs are very fine shotguns that slick up really well for this sport.  The current production SKBs are made in Turkey which is also where CZs are made.  I have only handled a few of the newer Turkish SKBs and they are not the same quality as the older Japanese ones, but they are on par with the CZs.  When it comes to SxS shotguns suitable for SASS that are currently being produced I think either SKBs or CZs are hard to beat.  I have handled a few of the CZs that Long Hunter sells all ready tuned up and that would be my first choice if I was looking to by a new SxS for this game.

I don't know anything about the Turkish SKBs, but do know that the older guns are very good. The CZ Sharptail is full of Pot-metal parts. IMO they are not as good as the SKB. I've never been able to get one to open as well as a SKB while still being reliable. They are however a very good looking gun, and if you don't try to make them too light, they work.

1 hour ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

3 Johnny Meadows and 2 Fast Eddie’s. Yes, I have a problem. 

Yes, your problem is you need one more Fast Eddie to even things out.

9 hours ago, Snakebite said:

The CZ Sharptail is full of Pot-metal parts.

This has not been my experience, they use good hard steel that a file slides across. 

I like a good SKB, and the CZ Sharptail are good but different.  If you've been shooting an skb you'll probably stick with it.  

20220608_151611.jpg

20220615_102845.jpg

Interesting. No hard steel here. Just about everything in the 3 that I had was made out of pot metal. That even includes the opening lever. Just a little heat applied to allow for bending yeilded a pot metal break, nothing like the real steel used on a SKB, BSS, or any other quality shotgun thats been on my bench. Trimming the cocking rods so both hammers would set at the same time was a nightmare. Shortening went ok but trying add a few thousands to one rod was a disaster. As soon as I hit it with the Mig, it just totally disintegrated. I had to fabricate new rods. I made them with 5mm steel. I've had many guns on my bench the last 30 yrs but never had one that the metal would just fall apart so easily with so little heat applied. I was unable to get a replacement lever. I had a heck of time rebuilding the one that crumpled. After the issues I had with the first gun I just cleaned up the casting and polished the other two so they could at least be opened. 

I’m fortunate to own both a very nice SKB 200e (Japanese) that was done by the late Goatneck Clem and a Longhunter CZ Sharptail. The SKB is a pure joy to fire and handle with no issues whatsoever, but……I am addicted to the Sharptail which is a faster firearm for me. Ive never been able to understand why it has become my favorite, but everybody has one in their life. Yes they are both mechanical single trigger with a mid-rib bead. I haven't  ever noted any shoddy parts in my CZ and it has been reliable since the 1st day! :)

I'm a big CZ fan - of their rifles and handguns, of which I own several of each. I'm not a fan of their shotguns and it isn't because they are Turkish. I own four Turkish made shotguns(Weatherby), two handguns(Stoeger) and couldn't be happier with them.

I've owned one CZ shotgun, a 720 which I sold and was given a 720 a few weeks ago which I will sell as soon as I get a part in the mail from CZ. I've shot and held several CZ break action shotguns. IMO CZ shotguns are okay but not excellent, like their rifles and handguns. They also have universally bad triggers. The triggers can easily be fixed by a competent gunsmith but that costs money.

Don't own a SKB but I've handled and shot them. For me it would be a no brainer. I'd take a used SKB over a new CZ.

Archived