SASS Wire Forum

My Son's gift

My son is a budding luthier.  He builds mostly bass guitars but this is his gift to me. A neck through made of laminated, curly maple, this pecan strips, walnut and mahogany. The body is made of Leopard wood. Binding is ipe as are the knobs. Inlays are ipe, black walnut, the wolf inlay in the head is ebony. the nut is ebony.  Sweet guitar and sounds great. The neck through was drilled out to about 75% empty to allow sound to resonate. Sounds great without amp and with amp it does sing.

image.thumb.jpeg.ed7e67856ead4710e96057f334a3e7d1.jpeg

Bill, that is absolutely outstanding!!  ^_^

How 'bout some technical info...?  Pickups?  Tuning machines?  Strings?     :)

Looks like Seymore Duncan pickips. Beautiful in every respect!!

8 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Bill, that is absolutely outstanding!!  ^_^

How 'bout some technical info...?  Pickups?  Tuning machines?  Strings?     :)

Thanks for asking Hardpan....

The tuning machines are Grover Deluxe, Wiring harness is from RS Guitarwork (we were going to wire up our own, but this one seemed great) Pickups are Seymour Duncan SH 1 '59s. Strings right now are DeAddario EXL 120 (.009 - .042) The bezels for pickups are handmade from wenge as is the background of headstock veneer overlay. the fretboard is wenge as well..

the headstock

image.thumb.png.387e85349f6aea78fcd15d346adb56fb.png

11 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Sweet!  That's really lovely.  I keep thinking about a custom bass.  Does he have a website?  I'd like to check out his work.

He does not have a website yet.  He was working on one I private messaged you with some more info. Here is a picture of one of his latest base guitars. It is not finished, but the design is great. You can not see it, but the body just infront of the end of the =neck has a wave like dip to come up under the neck joint. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f53bd5c6477f37498e193cc1bcc92508.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

He does not have a website yet.  He was working on one I private messaged you with some more info. Here is a picture of one of his latest base guitars. It is not finished, but the design is great. You can not see it, but the body just infront of the end of the =neck has a wave like dip to come up under the neck joint. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f53bd5c6477f37498e193cc1bcc92508.jpeg

That's pretty.  Guessing a piezo as there aren't any pickup routes?

Archived