SASS Wire Forum

Reenactor Black Powder

German Jim

I'm sure these questions are out there somewhere, but I can't find them. 

1.   What is the difference between real Black Powder (I use 2FG in everything) and reenactor Black Powder?

2.  Is 2FG any cleaner than reenactor?

3.  Is there only one granulation?

4.  Is it any harder to clean?

5.  How does it perform?

6.  Any problems with powder handling? (I use Lee's Automatic Powder Measure).

I hope that's all the questions I have (for now).

Thanks to any and all who respond.

I use it in my shotguns, works great. I use a Lyman 55 BP measure to dispense it as a separate step between the 2nd and 3rd stations on my MEC steelmaster.

I've always understood it to be a mix of 1F,2F, and 3F.

I also use it for shotgun.
As an experiment, I sifted a pound of Swiss reenactor using the correct aprx sized screening(cant remember mesh sizes off top of my head-it was a couple years ago), with the sifting including some pressure to kind of "korn" the larger pieces through the mesh....I ended up with about 3/4 bottle of 2-3F which I used in my cap and ball pietta with just fine results for cowboy shooting . (dont know if Id use it for long range target shooting -but Ive never done anything but cowboy shoot with BP anyway)
I will admit, it was a dirty process to screen and squeeze .
Id do it again if need be...but it was a good experiment.
As far as those other parts of the question...black is black...its kind of like asking what is the difference between pouring 10w30 or straight 30 over your gun....same result. 
I dont use any automatic powder measures in my reloading stages, but I do load it through my Lee load all for shotgun shells.
How bad do you want some black powder to use?
I did this experiment back in the good times, BB (before biden) as a curiosity and having read about it online somewhere to save a couple bucks.  I'll always use it for shotgun since then.

I've used reenactor for shotgun as well.  It does appear to be a mix of different grades of black powder.  I'll defer to the experts, but I think the mix of different grades will result in an inconsistent burn rate, so it would be a poor choice for long range shooting or anything else requiring a consistent burn rate. but fine for a regular cowboy match.  

I have used it in Rifle shotgun and pistol.  Still have all my fingers.  I do believe the Goex dealer told me it is not screened or coated but still real BP.  Seemed like it maybe a little louder???  At the distance that we shoot, no need to worry about accuracy.  Buddy used it every year for his annual venture into the darkside.

On 8/10/2022 at 6:33 PM, German Jim said:

1.   What is the difference between real Black Powder (I use 2FG in everything) and reenactor Black Powder?

5.  How does it perform?

Reenactor is real BP. In some revolvers it will not reset the primers resulting in cylinder drag.

kR

On 8/10/2022 at 9:33 PM, German Jim said:

5.  How does it perform?

I’ll try to answer some of you soot questions. 

1.  Reenactor powder is real BP. 

2.  I don’t think you’ll find a noticeable difference. 

3.  Reenactor BP is a mix of granulations

4.  No

5.  At our distances in SG shells no problem, in rifle cartridges depends on the caliber, I wouldn’t use it for pistols IMHO.

6.  I personally do not use any automatic powder measure with BP (of any granulation).

Keep this in mind, BP weight by volume will vary on granulation size, simply put the bigger the size the less will fit into the same size measure.  If you look at Kid Rich’s picture and see that flame, that’s due to him using reenactor,  using 3F with the same round will produce less fire.  My personal loading is 1 or 1.5 FG in shotgun, and 3 FG in .45C rifle and .44 cap and ball pistols.  

Keep in mind Reenactor is a mix of sizes.  Small stuff tend to settle to bottom of can. If you use and use, you'll end up with the fine stuff left.  Per equal volume the fine stuff produces more power than those proceeding.  I found this out when loading shotgun shell and had just enough in bottom of dipping dish for one more load.  Is I shot them up, one was noticeable more powerful than the others. Didn't damage the modern shotgun but with an antique it could have.

Being a mix of grain size,  you could go to the trouble of sorting it into more uniform sizes. Biggest stuff for shotgun and everything else for cartridges.  If Reenacter is all that's available.   

On 8/13/2022 at 5:02 PM, CASS, Singing Hills Ranch said:

Best for boom, smoke and flame. It burns a little more inconsistently, larger granules appear to be finishing further down the barrels 

IMG_1472.thumb.JPG.030ad1ad6668bf01cfd35c22793db0d4.JPGIMG_1432.thumb.JPG.43b3feba4facb81ffecbd57c18855f56.JPG

THIS IS AWESOME!!! I LOVE the BP night matches!!!

Hugs!

Scarlett

Archived