SASS Wire Forum

Field of Dreams Game Thursday

Cypress Sun

Baseball fans, don't forget...the "Field of Dreams" baseball game is on tomorrow night (Thursday 8/11/22) @ 7:00pm Eastern. Chicago Cubs vs Cincinatti Reds.

I liked last years game even if the intro's were a bit over the top. Looking forward to this years game.

I’ll watch for awhile but Cleveland is playing Detroit so I’ll be focused on that.

3 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

This is the only baseball game I'll watch. Based entirely on the nostalgia of the movie. Enjoyed that immensely.

I thought the movie was mediocre at best! They’re making a big deal out of a fictional field ! No thanks I’m not into all the hype . MLB is really digging for cash! I’ll watch a game at a real stadium !

Well, I gotta say, the start of the game was just plumb cool.

Jessie James Decker, the young lady who delivered the National Anthem was... well... let's just say that she "personalized" her delivery a mite.  But it was acceptable - although there were a couple of almost disbelieving expressions on players/ coaches faces.  And the flyover by the C-135 and two f-16s was really timely, as it drowned her out toward the the end.  Actually, that's somewhat unfair ~ she gave it her all, and deserves full credit for doing so.

But!

EVERY player, coach, official... every human being in sight, stood respectfully, with hats over their hearts.  Not a kneeler to be seen!

Gee... maybe it'll become a trend!!  :)

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I thought the movie was mediocre at best! They’re making a big deal out of a fictional field ! No thanks I’m not into all the hype . MLB is really digging for cash! I’ll watch a game at a real stadium !

A fictional field?  The field is real and has been maintained since 1989.

11 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Jessie James Decker, the young lady who delivered the National Anthem was... well...

About as well done as a roast cut by an apprentice butcher on his first day . Well, I guess it was better than Rosanne.

26 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

A fictional field?  The field is real and has been maintained since 1989.

It was chosen as the field for the movie, it was a corn field. What I meant was it’s not a major league stadium, hence it’s fictional! It’s all about the money!!

I had to turn it off. The constant babbling of the "announcers" finally got to me. I just don't see how continuous, non-stop babble that has nothing to do with the game at hand encourages people to watch the game. Yeah, I could have turned the sound off, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Did anyone else notice the soft playing surface in the outfield. Ball hits it and just dies, way too soft IMO.

Rye, of course it's about money! It's professional baseball, it's always about money.;) No, I never, ever said "Do you want to have a catch?" Sounds weird even writing it. Always said "Let's play catch."

2 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I had to turn it off. The constant babbling of the "announcers" finally got to me. I just don't see how continuous, non-stop babble that has nothing to do with the game at hand encourages people to watch the game. Yeah, I could have turned the sound off, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Did anyone else notice the soft playing surface in the outfield. Ball hits it and just dies, way too soft IMO.

Rye, of course it's about money! It's professional baseball, it's always about money.;) 

The reason I tuned it off is I’m not into the Cubs or the Reds!:P

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Did any of you say to your dad “Do you wanna have a catch”?

I noticed that immediately when I first watched the movie. I'd never heard it phrased in that way. I always heard. "Do you you want to play catch?" or "Do you want to play some catch?" I always wondered if it was a regional thing. Anyone else? This was in California. 

A quick (only half an hour)search on the internet for that phrase hints that "have a catch" is a regional Eastern Seaboard, and possibly only North East, phrase and likely somewhat archaic.

From the articles and discussions I saw "play catch" is the heavily favored phrase.

7 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

A quick (only half an hour)search on the internet for that phrase hints that "have a catch" is a regional Eastern Seaboard, and possibly only North East, phrase and likely somewhat archaic.

From the articles and discussions I saw "play catch" is the heavily favored phrase.

Which, seeing as how the movie takes place in Iowa, is weird. I never read the book so I don’t know if the line was from the author, W.P. Kinsella or not. He was Canadian.

15 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

What I meant was it’s not a major league stadium

But it actual real major league teams playing an actual real game that counts in the standings. The stadium is probably about the size most stadiums were back when shoeless Joe played.

According to the announcer a ticket to attend was round $350???

I watched it only for the nostalgia. For me it made watching the game more palatable. 

After the 3rd inning I told me wife, 'well I was once again reminded why I don't watch baseball". I moved on to re-runs on TV. Two guys playing catch and another guy who may hit the ball 25% of the time getting paid $gozillions! Of course I have similar comments about all the other sports involving some sort of ball.

Archived