SASS Wire Forum

Are you considering a Cochlear Implant or two for hearing?

Max Payne

COCHLEAR TIPS FOR COWBOY ACTION SHOOTERS

The following are things I’ve learned through experience with my two Cochlear implants while Cowboy Action Shooting. My wife & I shoot every weekend, rain, sleet, snow, heat, etc. I’ve had my first implant for about 4 years & my second one for about 2 years. We’ve been shooting CAS since November, 2011.

To wear or not to wear while shooting

The Cochlears cap the sound, so there’s no reason due to decibels to not wear them while shooting. I believe I actually hear better than the other shooters on my posse because they’re wearing hearing protection, & I don’t need it. When I had hearing aids, this was not the case. I really couldn’t wear the hearing aids, which meant I was deaf as a hammer while shooting. Someone was always trying to talk to me while we were shooting a stage. I would tell them I couldn’t make out a word they were saying. Then, they would continue to talk to me anyway.

Even though I don’t need hearing protection for decibels, they are a big help due to compression of the shotgun blasts & larger bullet calibers. So, I also wear ear plugs. Since my eardrums are no longer in use, it doesn’t affect my hearing one way or the other.

Excessive sweat

I have always sweated a lot, even while in the best shape of my life. Sometimes on the hottest days, I sweat so much that the Cochlears begin to work/not work erratically. Sometimes just wiping them off helps. Sometimes I have to switch to my backup instrument. Other times, I have to spray the instrument with CRC Electronic cleaner.  Walmart - $5-$6 a can.

This stuff is wonderful, & it won’t hurt anything. It helps to remove the coil & the microphone cover before spraying. This is also a great product to use on anything electronic that starts to behave badly. For instance, if you have a flashlight with very old batteries that have begun to leak, & all of the connectors are corroded, you can spray this stuff on everything, & it will likely fix it. The “QD” stands for quick dry, which it does.

I also use it to clean my guns. It’s super for spraying the carrier & chamber in my rifle, then following with a little Break-free. I know lots of people use brake cleaner, but I’m partial to this, as I’ve been using it for about 9 years now. I also use it on my pistols. I buy it by the case.

Occasionally, one of the Cochlears may just start to act up for no apparent reason. The CRC will usually correct these situations also. And, it’s important to put the instrument(s) in the Zephyr dryer every night.

The button on the instrument will often fail

My Audiologist tells me this is one of the most common parts of the instrument to fail. You can get it fixed under warranty. One of mine works, & the other doesn’t. It’s not worth it to me to send it back. I can change the settings with the phone if I need to.

The insulator on the Coil will split

Happens to all of them after awhile. They’ll send you a new coil with no hassle & very quickly under warranty if this happens. It happens enough, I don’t worry about it, as it doesn’t seem to hurt anything. I don’t even make the call now when it happens.

The additional programs on the instrument don’t add value for me

Such as, the restaurant setting, etc. I really can’t tell a difference, so I only use the one. Your mileage may vary.

Two Cochlears is better than one

This is obvious. However, what’s not obvious is how much better it is. Seeing with both eyes isn’t twice as good. It’s five times as good. This is the same with the Cochlears. Two is five times as good as one. So, anytime you can qualify for a second one, that’s the way to go.

The surgery isn’t a big deal

It’s always disconcerting to “go under the knife”, but there’s no pain (or, almost no pain) or discomfort. So, any fear or dreading as a reason to not get it done just isn’t justified.

You’ll hate it at first

Your brain has to get used to the new method of communication. Voices will sound like a combination of a computerized voice (which it is), a cartoon character, & an echo chamber. It gets better over time. If you never do the exercises, it will never get better, & you won’t use it. It is very important to be diligent about doing the exercises. Hearing aids, while not as good as natural hearing, are more natural-sounding than the Cochlears. However, you get used to the Cochlears, & when hearing aids don’t do it for you anymore, Cochlears are better than being deaf. Even with the hearing aids, there came a point where I just couldn’t be involved in conversations anymore. That has all changed.

Your sense of direction as to where the sound is coming from will be gone

That’s just how it is. You’ll hear a loud noise or someone talking to you, & you won’t know which direction it’s coming from unless you can see it. If you get lost in the woods & are dependent on hearing where any sounds are coming from, you’ll be out of luck.

I don’t use the TV gizmo

I prefer the captions on the TV. I got used to them before Cochlear, & I just don’t care for the TV thing. “To each his own”.

I’ve never used the waterproof setup & never will

It’s just too involved. If I were younger than 75, maybe I would. But, I don’t see myself water skiing or even swimming anymore.

I keep my backup instruments in the console of my truck

Sometimes, if one acts up during a match, it’s easier to just get a backup out instead of wrestling with the offending instrument. Same with my guns.

Change the microphone covers regularly

They contain fine filters, & your sound will diminish greatly when they get old. Cochlear recommends every 6 months. My experience says that 6 months is the right frequency for replacement.

Keep all batteries on the charger(s) when you’re not using them

They’ll last longer. And, if you have to replace them, they’re $245 each. Ouch!

Cochlear Tips for Cowboy Action Shooters 062022.docx

Does the cowboy hat block or cause any problems with the implants?

34 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

Does the cowboy hat block or cause any problems with the implants?

It's tricky. Some hats work, & some don't. I use a hat stretcher & place poker chips where the implants will be to form "pockets". Works pretty well for most hats. DBJ Hats formed one for me that's my favorite. It can be worked out.

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

Suppose I'll have to do it at some point, but neither the prospect of yet another surgery nor the appearance are acceptable at this stage.  You are a bolder fellow than I!  Thanks for the info!

The surgeries were no big deal, & there are no scars. They probably look stupid on my head, but I just don't care. When asked about them, I say I get Netflix on 'em.

10 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Capt Baylor should post his experience with these implants....

I've had a fair amount of communication with Capt Baylor because I've been wearing them for a few years. He's actually the one I wrote this piece for.

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

MP, are there any issues with sleeping and pillow position? 

I take 'em out when I go to bed. As far as the implants themselves, no problem at all. And, if I want to read when my wife is watching TV, or if we're in a noisy restaurant, I take them off. I'm deaf as a hammer without them. There are some benefits.

8 minutes ago, Burn Through said:

they probably are not cheap but when you can not hear price dont matter much .

I have profound hearing loss...wearing hearing aids since I was 34...I wear $8k hearing aids...

All out of pocket. I have a little experience dealing with the concept of "when you can't hear price don't matter much".

I don't feel ready to drop $100k for cochlear...

Phantom

20 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I have profound hearing loss...wearing hearing aids since I was 34...I wear $8k hearing aids...

All out of pocket. I have a little experience dealing with the concept of "when you can't hear price don't matter much".

Phantom

If you don't mind my asking--

My wife also has profound hearing loss for at least the past 20 years.  She's had a real hard time finding hearing aids that actually work, or at least function correctly with the bluetooth and aps, like the manufacturers claim.   She's been through four or five different brands and models now, in the 5-8k price range.  So far she has not found anything that helps and isn't a PITB to keep operating.  

Do you mind sharing what yours are and if they function for you.  My wife hears very little below 60db and that is with her hearing aids.  

Any guidance is v. much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.

8 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

My wife also has profound hearing loss for at least the past 20 years.  She's had a real hard time finding hearing aids that actually work, or at least function correctly with the bluetooth and aps, like the manufacturers claim.   She's been through four or five different brands and models now, in the 5-8k price range.  So far she has not found anything that helps and isn't a PITB to keep operating.  

Do you mind sharing what yours are and if they function for you.  My wife hears very little below 60db and that is with her hearing aids.  

Thanks in advance.

I don't mind at all ;)

That said, my current aids don't do it for me. I don't know the exact model, but they are Audibel RIC's. I tried out some Audibel BTE's and they worked much better. They're much more powerful and can handle the amplification of the higher frequencies to levels that work for me (less distortion). 

Find a good hearing health care office that has an Audiologist on staff...go from there.

Sorry I can't give you any better advise...hearing aids and the industry can be very frustrating. But it's gotten better over the last couple decades.

Phantom

Max,

Although I’m not a candidate yet, I appreciate you taking the time to create this post and share your thoughts and info on the implants from your point of view. 

Thanks, Doc

9 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Phantom

When I got mine, greater than 40% hearing loss qualified for insurance or medicare, each ear. I was way beyond that for each. My hearing aids just didn't do it anymore. I couldn't be involved in conversations with multiple people or in restaurants, so I was completely left out of conversations. After insurance I paid about about $2,500 total for each ear. Insurance paid the rest of the $80,000 for each ear. I can hear well enough now that I often Posse Marshal, & I run the timer a lot. With the Cochlears, I've PM'ed multiple times at Ga State, Ala St, SE Regional, & at 2021 EOT (with Fast Eddie).

9 hours ago, doc roy l. pain said:

Max,

Although I’m not a candidate yet, I appreciate you taking the time to create this post and share your thoughts and info on the implants from your point of view. 

Thanks, Doc

You are welcome, Fast Man!

9 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Thanks in advance.

I wore Starkeys for about 10 years, upgrading to the latest models during that time. I did some trials with other brands during that time, but nothing I tried was any better, & my hearing was getting worse all the time. If the hearing aids would have continued to work, I wouldn't have taken the big step to the Cochlears. My hearing  made that decision for me.

1 hour ago, Max Payne said:

When I got mine, greater than 40% hearing loss qualified for insurance or medicare, each ear. I was way beyond that for each. My hearing aids just didn't do it anymore. I couldn't be involved in conversations with multiple people or in restaurants, so I was completely left out of conversations. After insurance I paid about about $2,500 total for each ear. Insurance paid the rest of the $80,000 for each ear. I can hear well enough now that I often Posse Marshal, & I run the timer a lot. With the Cochlears, I've PM'ed multiple times at Ga State, Ala St, SE Regional, & at 2021 EOT (with Fast Eddie).

My wallet is my insurance.

22 hours ago, Max Payne said:

The surgeries were no big deal, & there are no scars. They probably look stupid on my head, but I just don't care. When asked about them, I say I get Netflix on 'em.

I’ve got 2 implants also . I could care less what they look like , I’m past that stage in my life. They are definitely better than being deaf . 

6 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Some day you’ll be on medicade/Medicare . I was lucky to have insurance that covered the majority of it . My hearing aids were useless. Now I’m one of the few people who can stick a magnet to their head . 

18 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Phantom

When I used to wear hearing aids my insurance would not cover it , so I was also out of pocket. I ended up getting my last 2 pairs from Costco. The VA is the #1 seller of hearing aids in the US , #2 is Costco. The only disadvantage I found to Costco is they are software locked so only Costco can work on them . But the upside is the are usually about half the price of your local audiologist. I found it well worth the price of a Costco membership 

7 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Ouch!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2022 at 4:37 PM, Buckshot Bob said:

When I used to wear hearing aids my insurance would not cover it , so I was also out of pocket. I ended up getting my last 2 pairs from Costco. The VA is the #1 seller of hearing aids in the US , #2 is Costco. The only disadvantage I found to Costco is they are software locked so only Costco can work on them . But the upside is the are usually about half the price of your local audiologist. I found it well worth the price of a Costco membership 

I just got my recent pair from Costco.  I was impressed with the audiometric testing and care they took on the fitting and set up.  This pair replaced a set from around 2016, so a quantum leap in technology and so far I'm pleased with them.  I was shocked on how bad my hearing must have been, on how much I could now hear with the hearing aids.

21 minutes ago, Jonathan Slim Chance said:

I just got my recent pair from Costco.  I was impressed with the audiometric testing and care they took on the fitting and set up.  This pair replaced a set from around 2016, so a quantum leap in technology and so far I'm pleased with them.  I was shocked on how bad my hearing must have been, on how much I could now hear with the hearing aids.

I was always happy with the hearing aids and service I received at Costco. The price was the big bonus, it was generally about half . 

I've had mine since 2009 and 2011. Just got two new upgrades in the last couple years. 0 $ out of pocket...I go through U of Michigan.  MP is just about right on every detail....Doc Pain is in another week.....

Faygo Kid

My hearing loss is getting worse. Nothing but ringing in left ear. On the range I can’t hear squat with my hearing protection in. Hearing stages read while they are shooting in the next bay over is a nightmare. 

3 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

My hearing loss is getting worse. Nothing but ringing in left ear. On the range I can’t hear squat with my hearing protection in. Hearing stages read while they are shooting in the next bay over is a nightmare. 

Getting old is not for the faint of heart.  Dad, a Doc, used to say getting old beat the other option by a bunch.

On 8/11/2022 at 4:20 PM, Buckshot Bob said:

Some day you’ll be on medicade/Medicare . I was lucky to have insurance that covered the majority of it . My hearing aids were useless. Now I’m one of the few people who can stick a magnet to their head . 

There's been a few times when I realized that one of my instruments wasn't on my head. And, in retracing, I may have been working on something under the truck, & one of them jumped from my head to the bumper. A Couple of times I've had one jump from my head to the hardware on the seatbelt. It's only happened about 3 or 4 times in the years that I've had them, & when it does, my wife & have a good laugh.

33 minutes ago, Max Payne said:

There's been a few times when I realized that one of my instruments wasn't on my head. And, in retracing, I may have been working on something under the truck, & one of them jumped from my head to the bumper. A Couple of times I've had one jump from my head to the hardware on the seatbelt. It's only happened about 3 or 4 times in the years that I've had them, & when it does, my wife & have a good laugh.

Been there . Working on a car , tractor or getting my head too close to a steel door . I find the fitted baseball caps with the elastic in them help to keep everything in place 

Archived