SASS Wire Forum

Chips

Subdeacon Joe

18 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Aluminum.

IMG_20220810_100422516.thumb.jpg.2e4a6697b5d59020a1498a1878615618.jpg

BETTER WATCH IT!!  The ATF will call it a receiver!!

1 minute ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

Here you go these what you are lookin for ?

6C110893-712B-47F3-9E62-B108B331D6D8.jpeg

THAR YA GO !!!   :)

.......... now standby for the re-run of 80% of the "EMERGENCY" thread ........   ;)

To my mind, turnings come from a lathe, so the work piece should be long for its width and circular.

That work piece appears to be square, or at least rectangular, in shape, so I would consider that millings.

Although I suppose you could use the term machinings to cover either one.

1 hour ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

That's why you need a horizontal, let those chips fall where they may. Is this your picture? I noticed the rubber bands on the vice, I figured out years ago that was the best way to keep parallels in place.  

A photo I took at work.  I don't run the machines, I just check the parts.

49 minutes ago, John E. Law said:

Was there anything left of the original piece??

JEL

A boss with an OD of 10.024, ID of 8.275, four flats on the OD of 9.something, and a height of about 4 inches.  Don't remember what the body of the part is.

19 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Aluminum.

IMG_20220810_100422516.thumb.jpg.2e4a6697b5d59020a1498a1878615618.jpg

I never allow chips to build up like that. You end up recutting them along with workpiece. Hard on tooling and leaves a crappy finish.  Use the coolant or an air blast to clear them.  But that’s just how I machine, your mileage may vary. 

I toured a new business in town yesterday. Aluminum extruding. Still in preproduction mode working the kinks out of the machinery. No millings, cuttings, chaff, chips, swarf. Just heat and boat railings. Pretty dang cool.

12 hours ago, KingSnake said:

I never allow chips to build up like that. You end up recutting them along with workpiece. Hard on tooling and leaves a crappy finish.  Use the coolant or an air blast to clear them.  But that’s just how I machine, your mileage may vary. 

I asked today, that was all from hogging out the center bore.  Tool wasn't plowing through them.

On 8/10/2022 at 11:57 AM, Subdeacon Joe said:

FB_IMG_1618448863802.jpg.8ec68bc319e6bf37724bdd74d4446a94.jpg

I see some people laughed at this.  There was a bill in our Legislature that was written in such a way that a chunk of aluminum like that, or a piece of 16 gauge steel plate would have been considered a receiver by the CADOJ.  

The text is a quote from Kevin deLeon, former President Pro Tem of our state Senate.

Archived