SASS Wire Forum

Recommendations for a hat. Place to buy one

Finagler 6853 Life

I am looking for a recommendation on where I can buy a good hat.  I have enough years at my employer that I can get what I want up to a value of $450.  I've looking for a quality silver belly hat and not really interested in rabbit fur hats.  Part of my problem is my noggin is fairly large (7 5/8) and somewhat square, Scandinavian genetics.  I'm not sure on the style exactly but I'm looking for a good hatter.  I found the style I wanted at Texas Jack's when I visited Fredericksburg but couldn't find my size.  I've got all the guns I want and other accoutrements.  I think I want a hat.

Contact Greely Hat Works in Greely, Colorado.

You’re wanting a hat body that contains beaver fur felt.  There are, generally, three levels of beaver content including 100%, 50%, (the other half is commonly rabbit fur) and standard or economy which is usually around 15% beaver and the rest rabbit.  Any of these will give you good service.  The more beaver fur in the felt, the better, more durable, more water resistant your hat will be.

I bought a 1941 vintage Resistol (with a wonderful story behind it) for about $40.00 at an antique store. ....in my size 7 7/8.  After a professional cleaning and re-blocking for another $25-$30 and a $15.00 hat band I now have a perfect hat for everyday wear.  I had been looking for a few months before I got it.  It's my favorite hat and I wear it every day.  I seldom go out with it that I don't get some kind comment on it.

I'd love to find one more in gray and one in brown, but the basic hat doesn't seem to be out there.  

Good options above but I'll add my favorite - D Bar J.

Also look at the D Bar J Crappy Cowboy hats. Really, the same quality but with some "character" already there.  A lot of the "flaws" in these hat bodies may not even be able to be seen.  And the crappy hats are significantly less expensive.

47 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I bought a 1941 vintage Resistol (with a wonderful story behind it) for about $40.00 at an antique store. ....in my size 7 7/8.  After a professional cleaning and re-blocking for another $25-$30 and a $15.00 hat band I now have a perfect hat for everyday wear.  I had been looking for a few months before I got it.  It's my favorite hat and I wear it every day.  I seldom go out with it that I don't get some kind comment on it.

I'd love to find one more in gray and one in brown, but the basic hat doesn't seem to be out there.  

Love my Resistol  , finally replaced the Black Gold 20x  that was lost from military moving (which I hated well broke in  from years riding and rodeo complete with a sliver out of the brim from a bull stepping on it )

As far as Custom hats well You will get some Rabbit fur for that price unless you double that and jump to 100XX beaver
 It would help if you post a picture of hat style you are looking for Burns does alot of the old Gus style and many color choices 
https://burns1876.com/productlist/felt-hats/107

I'm not sure where you are located, but check locally for a larger western tack shop that sells hats. They should have numerous sizes, colors and grades / quality. Find an "open crown" shape (basically unshaped like a "Boss of the Plains") in your price range that is the color and quality you want, then have it steamed and shaped to your satisfaction. If you're buying the hat there, this is usually done free of charge, and someone with practice can pretty much shape whatever you want. Go in with a picture or two to help.

Edit: This was my intent when I was in Texas recently. I went to Cavender's in San Antonio. The shortages in things has affected the hat market too. I couldn't get an open crown in the color and size I wanted, so the store manager took a normal Quarter Horse Crease and worked it with the steamer for a long time while shooting the breeze with me and one of my co-workers until he got it to my satisfaction. Sort of, but not quite a Tom Selleck Monte Walsh style. I may try again at the Quarter Horse Congress in October.

I'll take a look at the web sites suggested.  Thanks to all.

I'm in the dairy state.  Western stores are few and far between.  The ones we do have cater to the rodeo set and rhinestone cowboys.  Lots of jeans , pointy boots, straw hats and felt hats that look like you wear it to a performance at  the Grand Ol' Opry.

+1 for D Bar J hats.  I bought a 100X "crappy" hat a Border Town and I love it.

I also have purchased several top of the line hats for pennies on the dollar off of Ebay.  Each of my Ebay hats had to be reshaped, but I have several really nice hats from that site. 

Archived