SASS Wire Forum

Homemade Biscuits with ONLY 2 INGREDIENTS!

Sedalia Dave

39 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Ya gotta love her accent....

Where y'all reckon she's from~?  :rolleyes:

Years ago, in a time gone by, we had a small wood cookstove. In the winter I'd get up about 4:00 am and build a fire and go back to bed. Get up about an hour later and stoke it up again and make some biscuits.  The heat in oven was uneven so about half way done, I'd rotate the tray. Fry up some sausage and make gravy.  We built a new house in 83 and the old wood stove didn't come along. It needed some repair to the firebox anyway. Years later our youngest son wanted it. He had ideas of one day putting it in a cabin. 

Gotta admit: those look pretty nice (especially with only two ingredients).

Aunt Hada Nuff and I have been using our 1970s-vintage family sourdough since we married. We were playing with our food the other morning and whipped up some jalapeno cheese sourdough biscuits. Add an egg and some thick bacon and you can get a days work done!  

SDJC Biscuit 2.jpg

SDJC Biscuit sammie.jpg

59 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Sound like Alabama to me. For sure don't sound like Georgia. Ain't the panhandle. Don't have enough Yankee in it to be Tennessee or Kentucky, and ain't got enough twang to be Texas. Can't hear the seaboard, so that lets out Virginia, Delaware and Maryland. She's talking too fast for Mississippi. Don't sound right for either Carolina. Might be Arkansas.

Mississippi??

On 8/10/2022 at 9:58 AM, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

I make biscuits with only one ingredient!

image.jpeg.76ab75f7bd01fcf9de2c8706ce61234b.jpeg

I know I know, nobody likes a 

image.thumb.png.ff326248b1ec5e4fe67b9c51b19b8ef4.png

Pillsbury makes Grands Country Style biscuits frozen in a bag.  Easier than yours because I take a biscuit or two or however many, put them on a baking sheet and stick them in the oven.  Seal the bag up again and put it back in the freezer.

I use them for B&G, SOS, just as a side with butter and honey, or put a sausage patty, some cheddar and a slice or two of bacon on them and I'm ready to rock and roll.

I was born and raised in a part of Missouri called "Little Dixie" for its southern roots.  Mark Twain's writings is my first language.  I can understand southern with no interpretation.  We did some business in northern Louisiana years back.  The southern accent was thick as molasses.  The guy was talking about doing business in southern Louisiana,  down at the coast. Said, you can hardly understand those people.  

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I have never seen the ones in a bag.  I will look for them.  Usually I open the Grands, eat maybe two and throw the other six away.

You can buy them in a can with only 5 biscuits. 

Dang...even a hockey puck contains more than two ingredients!!!  :lol:

My "cathead" biscuits have: flour, baking soda, baking powder, cream of tartar, buttermilk, sugar, salt, melted butter, yeast.

Biscuits that have both yeast, and baking powder, are puro Tejano.

"I go to the oven to see if they're done.

I open that door, and I pull out my gun.

Then I fan three times, with a crack, crack, crack,

Them biscuits smile, and the slugs bounce back. 

They're done to a turn, what a tasty snack.

Oh, I got the biscuit blues."

:FlagAm:  

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

You can buy them in a can with only 5 biscuits. 

Yeah I have seen those and buy them when I can.  BUT, most of the time they are out of stock at my local stores.  That still leaves three to toss out.  The baggy version seems like a good idea.

8 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Found a video where she said that they live in Georgia

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

is it normal to move flour out of bags into jars?

Don't they have canister sets for the kitchen where you live?

I was just surprised they were all the same size. Normally they come in four descending sizes, with the canisters marked FLOUR SUGAR COFFEE TEA. You open a paper sack of something and put it in a canister with a tight fitting lid, and you don't end up with bugs in your flour or your sugar.

Added: probably goes back to when you got your flour from the mill in 100 pound sacks. Decanting it into the canister just makes it easier to handle.

Yes we have canister sets but over time I decided they were more trouble than they were worth and did not make anything better.

the only time I had problems with bugs was when I had Indian Meal Moths. They got into everything even unopened boxes. I had to throw out lots of stuff and search for the females. But I did succeed finally.

the female moths are a little off white and would find a spot in the corner of a ceiling and wait for a male to find them.  When they were ready to lay their eggs they would find some cereal or grain thing. For example, even an oatmeal box. Cardboard has microscopic imperfections. They lay their eggs in such a place and the larvae burrow into the box when they hatch. When I’d open the box, I’d see the abandoned pupa cases.

I’m pretty sure I got them from something I brought back from Cortez, Colorado, which I had already thrown out because it was wormy.

19 hours ago, Adolph Vancinghand, SASS #28923 said:

Gotta admit: those look pretty nice (especially with only two ingredients).

Aunt Hada Nuff and I have been using our 1970s-vintage family sourdough since we married. We were playing with our food the other morning and whipped up some jalapeno cheese sourdough biscuits. Add an egg and some thick bacon and you can get a days work done!  

SDJC Biscuit 2.jpg

SDJC Biscuit sammie.jpg

PLEASE....Post your recipe ;)

4 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

May live in Georgia but be from elsewhere.

My inlaws talk just like her and are from mid-Georgia.   I found the video and she said their home would always be Georgia.  I took that to mean their native grounds.

While our original sourdough starter has been in continuous operation for close to fifty years, there's lots of online recipes to let you create your own "start".

Our most recent biscuits used the following recipe with the addition of some chopped FRESH jalapenos and some shredded Colby-Jack cheese.

Give 'em a try...hope you love 'em as much as we do. Good luck!

Buttery Sour Dough Sandwich Biscuits

Sift together:

1 c. flour

2 tsp baking powder

½ tsp salt

¼ tsp soda

Cut 3 Tbsp butter into pieces and work by hand into flour mixture until smaller than pea-sized.  Add 1 c. sour dough starter.  Stir.  Place dough on lightly floured surface and pat into rectangle about 6” x 9” (5”x7” for taller biscuits).  Cut into six biscuits.  Bake in pre-heated 400° oven for 13–15 minutes.   (For Convection ovens, try 385 for 13 mins).

5 hours ago, Adolph Vancinghand, SASS #28923 said:

While our original sourdough starter has been in continuous operation for close to fifty years, there's lots of online recipes to let you create your own "start".

Our most recent biscuits used the following recipe with the addition of some chopped FRESH jalapenos and some shredded Colby-Jack cheese.

Give 'em a try...hope you love 'em as much as we do. Good luck!

Buttery Sour Dough Sandwich Biscuits

Sift together:

1 c. flour

2 tsp baking powder

½ tsp salt

¼ tsp soda

Cut 3 Tbsp butter into pieces and work by hand into flour mixture until smaller than pea-sized.  Add 1 c. sour dough starter.  Stir.  Place dough on lightly floured surface and pat into rectangle about 6” x 9” (5”x7” for taller biscuits).  Cut into six biscuits.  Bake in pre-heated 400° oven for 13–15 minutes.   (For Convection ovens, try 385 for 13 mins).

Thank you! ;)

13 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

is it normal to move flour out of bags into jars?

If that's what your mom did, that's what you do.  

My mom just kept it in bags.  Lisa's mom used canisters or jars.   So we use jars .

Or we did.   She saw a set of plastic canisters, square and stackable.  We have one for AP flour, one for whole wheat flour, one for cornmeal, and one for sugar.  Bread flour and masa flour are in bags in the pantry since I'm the only one to use them.

On 8/10/2022 at 1:02 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I'm going with GA or AL...

On 8/10/2022 at 11:18 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Pillsbury makes Grands Country Style biscuits frozen in a bag.  Easier than yours because I take a biscuit or two or however many, put them on a baking sheet and stick them in the oven.  Seal the bag up again and put it back in the freezer.

I use them for B&G, SOS, just as a side with butter and honey, or put a sausage patty, some cheddar and a slice or two of bacon on them and I'm ready to rock and roll.

I always keep a bag of the frozen Southern Style biscuits in our freezer. Way better than the canned ones, fantastic for bacon/sausage-egg-cheese or B&G or even as dumplings for chicken stew.

Archived