SASS Wire Forum

German Shepherd question

Alpo

Do they always have pointy standing up ears, or do their ears flop when they're puppies and as they grow up the ears stand up?

I was reading an article the other day about designer dogs. Labradoodles, cockapoos, schnoodles, all sorts of dogs crossed with poodles. And either in the article or in the comments about the article someone mentioned seeing a Shepherd puppy at the pound. His ears did not stand up, which was a defect with shepherds, so he had been thrown away.

I have seen quite a few Shepherd puppies. And none of 'em's ears stood up. Now, maybe all the dogs I've seen have been bad shepherds, but I just figured they had to grow into their ears. Like Raquel Welch. She's got big boobs, but when she was 5 years old she didn't have big boobs. That happened as she grew up.

They can be either. They start floppy and stand up as they mature. However during this time they are fragile and the cartilage that holds them up is easily damaged. We have 2 rescued GSD's, one has floppy eatrs from abuse, the other has very expressive stand up ears.

We raised German Shepherds for the Michigan State Police when I was a kid and I have rarely in my lifetime not had one in my household. :wub:

Out of every litter there are a couple who were not "suitable" for the State Police (aesthetics, color, build, etc.) - the steeply raked back (which is horrible for hip displacia), black and tan coloring and tail shape were all components.

But that simply meant that those "unsuitable" were sold to others or I got to keep them.

I assure you; every shepherd varies.

But puppies are usually floppy earred which is a great time to begin "gently" playing with their ears to avoid touch aversion in the future if medicine application is needed.

Chopper (from my age 4 to age 18 - don't know if I have ever cried harder than the day I lost him)

Blizzard and Snowball (white shepherds), Teddy (deaf sweetheart), 

Porsche (thats what you get in a car family),

Duntov and Zora (corvette family), 

Lady (Desert Scorpion named her)

Chewie (Star Wars and destruction of any unattended shoes)

and currently

Huckleberry Holliday

IMG_20191024_122841287.jpg

I've had a half dozen GSD or mixes over the years.  All of them had floppy ears until about 5 or 6 months old. 

My current mutt, a Schnauzer mix, has one ear that stands up and one that flops.  The wife says that one ear has a mind of it's own.  

Archived