SASS Wire Forum

Sportsmanship...

I used to hit batters on purpose as a kid.  I owned the inside of the plate.  Does it make me a bad person or just competitive?  That was a long time ago and that was what we were taught.  I never gave it much thought. 

Gringo

I was a 'Catcher' in little league.   I really liked playing behind the plate.

I would taunt batters of the opposing team with phrases like....... 'Bean Ball'.

and of course, we had a really fast LEFT handed pitcher who could scare the heck out of all us during practice.

When playing a team, I would sometimes comment to the batter about how WILD that lefty was and 

didn't have a lot of control over his WILD pitches.     It kept some batters a little shook up.

..........Widder

I was catcher in Little League and also in Pony league. I would try and freak out the batters like saying this pitcher is wild or he’s got terrible eyesight!:lol:

I never saw a pitcher get this upset over a bean ball but the batter showed a lot of class by doing that! Good kid.;)

One of my good friends and I were on different baseball teams. I was the pitcher in one of the games we played against each other. I was having a pretty bad day...hit him 3 times during the game. I didn't hit him on purpose but he was pretty mad about it for a week. After a week, he started talking to me again and I reminded him that I had hit 2 other batters during that game. Why I wasn't pulled is beyond me. Needless to say, we didn't win that game.

Thanks for posting this Hardpan. Both pitcher and batter showed great sportsmanship. 

When I played football in Jr. High I tried to put the guy on the deck, hard.  Hit him as hard as I could to try to intimidate him.  But not to injure him.  I can't understand intentionally throwing a baseball at someone's head.

Archived