SASS Wire Forum

Wife cleaned my reloading bench

Matthew Duncan

A guy I used to know had something similar happen. His wife cleaned up his gun room and reloading bench. She did “combine the powder of all the nearly empty tall black bottles.”

He was a little ticked but he understood that she was just trying to help. 
He did educate her on why one shouldn’t do that. :D

For years I used the Lee Powder Measure Scoops.  Worked pretty well, I went to a friends and checked the weights on his scale.  I was able to keep it with in a tenth  or two of a grain.  I was using H380 for .303 Brit, 7x57 Mauser, 6.5x55 Mauser. 38-55 Winchester and keeping things in the middle of the range and mostly reloading for going out and just enjoying turning money into smoke and scrap lead.  Mentioned to Lisa that I really should get a scale.  "Can't you just use my food scale?  It goes down to five grams."  I explained to her that there are about 15 and a half grains to the gram and that I was working in ranges of about 35 grains to 47 grains (going from long memory here) and that the scale ROUNDED to the nearest 5 grams.  Her face went kind of white.

18 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

For years I used the Lee Powder Measure Scoops.  Worked pretty well, I went to a friends and checked the weights on his scale.  I was able to keep it with in a tenth  or two of a grain.  I was using H380 for .303 Brit, 7x57 Mauser, 6.5x55 Mauser. 38-55 Winchester and keeping things in the middle of the range and mostly reloading for going out and just enjoying turning money into smoke and scrap lead.  Mentioned to Lisa that I really should get a scale.  "Can't you just use my food scale?  It goes down to five grams."  I explained to her that there are about 15 and a half grains to the gram and that I was working in ranges of about 35 grains to 47 grains (going from long memory here) and that the scale ROUNDED to the nearest 5 grams.  Her face went kind of white.

One day I found a few of my Lee powder scoops in the kitchen sink with paint in them. My daughter and her friends were using them for an art project. The paint was water based so they cleaned up okay. 
“But Dad, you weren’t using them or anything….”

:lol:

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Mentioned to Lisa that I really should get a scale.  "Can't you just use my food scale?  It goes down to five grams." 

I guess it was somewhat understandable, though.  We had been using that scale for reloading.... making up 6 oz. or 8 oz. blank charges for a cannon for reenactments.

No !

KA-BOOM!

Followed by: HOLY COW! WHAT WAS THAT?
and:
WHERE'S THAT OUTSIDE TOILET SMELL COMING FROM?

kaBoomed-revolver-pieces.jpg

41 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

No !

KA-BOOM!

Followed by: HOLY COW! WHAT WAS THAT?
and:
WHERE'S THAT OUTSIDE TOILET SMELL COMING FROM?

kaBoomed-revolver-pieces.jpg

Reminds me of the day I was at the indoor range and I over heard a young guy say he had just gotten into reloading and how he was nervous about compressing the powder when seating the bullet. 
That made me go :wacko:

At that same moment one of the range staff was coming by and he heard the same thing. 
I told the new reloader that BP wasn’t permitted in the range. The range staffer stopped and asked if the guy had BP ammo. 
The new reloader said “I used smokeless powder, Unique, I think.”

(queue record scratch)

Needless to say we saved a new revolver, a young guys hand and a pair of underwear that day. 
I found a bullet puller in Midway and gave the guy the link. The staffer sold him some safer ammo. I think he had only loaded 50 rounds. 

Holy cow! 

Oh yeah, the kid was shooting .38 Special from a S&W 686.  A brand new 686.  

Amazing how people can put themselves at risk like that.

When I started, many decades ago, a co-worker, who was also a shooter, took me under his wing and mentored me.

He saved me from a lot of mistakes and OOOPSIES.

Now I do the same thing for other newcomers.

13 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Is that one of those "open top conversions" I keep hearing about?

I think it is now!

9 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Amazing how people can put themselves at risk like that.

When I started, many decades ago, a co-worker, who was also a shooter, took me under his wing and mentored me.

He saved me from a lot of mistakes and OOOPSIES.

Now I do the same thing for other newcomers.

When I started reloading I read, studied, the Lyman, Speer, Sierra, and Hogden handbooks.   Poured through them several times each, especially the Lyman.  Picked a powder that was in the lower half of burn rate and started in the middle of the most conservative of the recipes.  Loaded ten rounds of .303 Brit.  Had a small notebook and logged bullet type and weight, type of power, volume and weight of powder (using Lee scoops), brand and size of primer.

Took those ten and a box of factory ammo for comparison to the range.

No Kabooms.  No misfires.  

Archived