SASS Wire Forum

77 Years Ago

Okiepan

August 09, 1945 Nagasaki Japan  was the second city bombed by Allied forces thus crippling the Empire of Japan thus in the coming weeks the End of World War II .

And the beginning of the Atomic Age .

My dad was a member of the occupying forces.

Forecast:  18,000 degrees and high winds.

As to the millennials, Dad told me how our POWs got glass rods shoved up their penises, then smashed, for a lifetime of misery.
Then there was the cannibalism on Chichi Jima, the atrocities of Bataan... I have zero regrets about dropping those nukes and ending that war.

1 hour ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

There isn't anyone from that generation or ours that doesn't agree that dropping them actually saved lives and ended the war. But ask a millennial and oh boy we're murderer's!

You know what we can tell those millennials !!

My Dad had just finished up on Okinawa, and they had been transferred to another island to resupply, in anticipation of going ashore on mainland Japan, when the two atomic bombs were dropped. Dad told me that, before the bombs were dropped, their commanding officers told them, that they expected a million casualties. 

He had fought in Leyte, and then Okinawa, and this time, he said he figured his number would be up.

He said they were told that divisions from the European theater, would be transported there, to fight, but it would take a while for them to make the trip. 

They told them it could be 1947, or 1948, at least, before they might force Japan to surrender, based on what they had seen up until then.

He told me he had no clue about the atomic bomb, and fully expected to be in the initial invasion.  

He was in the 96th (Amphibious) Infantry Division, U.S. Army.

2 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

There isn't anyone from that generation or ours that doesn't agree that dropping them actually saved lives and ended the war. But ask a millennial and oh boy we're murderer's!

Not only that, but the new narrative is that the A-bombs didn't scare the Japanese one bit. Only the Russians did. So yes, the communists singlehandedly saved the entire world during World War Two. <_<

The Germans won WWlI! Eisenhower and Nimitz we both German descent. There were more American Germans that there were Germans in Germany.  l was told that i didn’t check it out

6 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

My Dad had just finished up on Okinawa, and they had been transferred to another island to resupply, in anticipation of going ashore on mainland Japan, when the two atomic bombs were dropped. Dad told me that, before the bombs were dropped, their commanding officers told them, that they expected a million casualties. 

He had fought in Leyte, and then Okinawa, and this time, he said he figured his number would be up.

He said they were told that divisions from the European theater, would be transported there, to fight, but it would take a while for them to make the trip. 

They told them it could be 1947, or 1948, at least, before they might force Japan to surrender, based on what they had seen up until then.

He told me he had no clue about the atomic bomb, and fully expected to be in the initial invasion.  

He was in the 96th (Amphibious) Infantry Division, U.S. Army.

My Dad's LCI(g) had its orders for the invasion of the mainland. The Navy had listed LCI's as "expendable." He said the entire crew cheered when they heard about the bombs.  

It was necessary. It was tragic. That’s history.

After reading The Rape of Nanking and another book on Unit 731, then realizing these two incidents just scratched the surface, yes totally necessary. Why Japanese veterans guilty of crimes against humanity are not treated the same way Nazi death camp officers are to this day is beyond me. I suppose it is politics and money.

There is also "Flyboys" by James Bradley (2003), ISBN 0-316-10584-8
This goes into great depth about the Japanese atrocities against nine American flyer POWs on Chichi Jima during WW2.

Japan had its own program to develop nuclear weapons.  Due to our bombing, they shifted their facilities to the Chosin Reservoir in Korea.  When the first bomb exploded over Hiroshima, the head the Japanese nuclear program knew exactly what it was!  I have seen various opinions written as to when the Japanese might have had an actual bomb or at least a radiological weapon that could have been used against our invading forces...it could have been as soon as six months! In point of fact Nazi Germany had sent a submarine headed to Japan (or Korea) with uranium oxide and a disassembled Me-262. when Germany surrendered, and Adm. Doenitz ordered all his subs to surface and surrender to the nearest allied ship!  I do NOT know how much technology the Russians might have picked up from the Japanese program, but they certainly would have had access to the Korean facilities, in addition to whatever Klaus Fuchs and other spies inside our own Manhattan Project might have given them, plus what their own scientists were able to develop in producing their first nuke. 

Archived