SASS Wire Forum

Anyone shop Menards?

Pat Riot

Upon moving to Morgantown, West Virginia I discovered that there isn’t a Home Depot here. There is a Lowe’s and their prices are stupid high. There is also an 84 Lumber but it’s more of a Contractor supply. 
I made a wrong turn and discovered this huge store called Menards. My wife and I decided to check it out. 
WOW! What a store!

They have one heckuva selection of all things home improvement and then some. I looked them up on line and they are all over the place through the upper Midwest and parts of the East. 
Their prices are a lot more reasonable than Lowe’s also. Well, except for lumber. Prices are high everywhere, but the quality of the lumber at Menards appeared much nicer. 

I think I found my new favorite home store. 

Screenshot: Map of locations 

8FA1384E-F273-4CC4-854B-4F2358C94C4F.thumb.png.3f57a9c22994dd037a3eb13fcba3bfec.png

I did , they are cheaper yes and a bit lower quality , I stopped using them after the snot nosed "Security " kid that has zero training tried cornering Me in a corner \because I didnt obey and put on a worthless face diaper as fast as he liked Stating this is Our "Private Property we can do what we like and You will Obey Us. I said screw you I was spending your months salary here and you have to come off that private property to go home :) walked out havent been back and bought the snow blower at Lowes . 

Somehow I ended up on their mailing list. And they have all sorts of nice stuff in the ads I get in the email. And it's all got a rebate.

Except it's not really a rebate. It's not money. It's store dollars. They got this thing on sale for $100 with a $20 rebate, but you don't get $20 back. You get a coupon that you can use for $20 at the store. And it's only good at the store. It's not good at menards.com.

The last time I went to Fandango, back in 05, we went to a Menards. It was a pretty neat store. But that was in Wisconsin. They ain't got none in Florida. And the closest one is a long haul.

I've heard their prices are pretty good. Never been to one yet. There's one about 20 minutes from here!

I like them , their lumber selection is always better than lowes or Home Depot. Tools probably don’t have as good of a selection. If they have what your looking for it’s generally going to be a good price 

We shopped at them a few times while in St Louis.  Their prices were pretty good and selection was fair.  Quality was OK.  Make sure you take a good look at something before you buy.  They happened to be a bit out of the way for us so we tended to stick with HD and Lowes, as they were literally around the corner and across the road from each other.

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

There doesn't seem to be many below the Mason-Dixon Line. Wonder why.

They originated in Wisconsin so I am assuming they branched out from there. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menards

All, 

Here is an article about some things Menards doesn’t want people to know, according to the author. 
https://www.familyhandyman.com/article/10-things-menards-employees-wont-tell-you/

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

They originated in Wisconsin so I am assuming they branched out from there. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menards

All, 

Here is an article about some things Menards doesn’t want people to know, according to the author. 
https://www.familyhandyman.com/article/10-things-menards-employees-wont-tell-you/

I first encountered them when I lived in WI in the early to mid 90’s . They started to expand into Mi about 12 years ago. I know no lumber is straight anymore but theirs seems to be better than most . About 5 years ago I was getting a few 2x4’s at lowes and one of the employees said I couldn’t sort through them and pick the ones I wanted. I drove to Menards and picked the ones I wanted. 

1 minute ago, Buckshot Bob said:

one of the employees said I couldn’t sort through them and pick the ones I wanted

I would have asked him if he was going to physically throw me out of the store, and continued on picking and choosing.

I have discovered, over the years, that many employees (of all kinds of different stores) make up rules as they go along. Like the man in Sears hardware who was not going to warranty the Craftsman ratchet because "that's abuse, not a factory defect". Went and found the hardware department manager and he gave me the new ratchet and had a stern talking to to the idiot clerk.

2 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I would have asked him if he was going to physically throw me out of the store, and continued on picking and choosing.

I have discovered, over the years, that many employees (of all kinds of different stores) make up rules as they go along. Like the man in Sears hardware who was not going to warranty the Craftsman ratchet because "that's abuse, not a factory defect". Went and found the hardware department manager and he gave me the new ratchet and had a stern talking to to the idiot clerk.

They were actually cheaper at Menards. Lowes is just in a more convenient location for me 

Archived