SASS Wire Forum

Girsan opinions

Trigger Mike

I read Girsan Onions and I thought, “Never tried em.I prefer Vidalias”. I think I need new glasses. Or something. :D

16 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

Vidalia onions are better.  Easy for me to say since I live in Vidalia, 

I am green with envy!

Speaking of vidalia onions my son works for a farmer who grows several hundred acres of onions and during onion season would come home wreaking of onions.  He also brought us a 10 pound bag of them for us.  I actually hate onions but have been able to tolerate vidalia onions.

I've seen a bunch of Girsan pistols at gun shows lately. One LGS has a few of them as well. They're supposed to be decent guns at an affordable price but I'd be worried about getting parts for them if something breaks. 

https://eaacorp.com/product-category/girsan-cat/

The YouTube reviewer Honest Outlaw got one of the new Girsan Hi-Power copies (the MCP-35), and he liked it a lot. The 1911 forums seem to grade the Girsan and Tisas guns (both Turkish) as very nice entry-level guns, and most seem to think that they are as good or even slightly better quality (finish and forged frames) than the equivalent entry pistols from Rock Island Armory (which is from the Philippines). 

I am under the impression that Browning Hi Power parts work in the Girsan guns, so I suspect (but can't prove) that their 45s would use aftermarket 45 parts. If you are looking at a model specific to Girsan, it is harder to say about spare parts availability.

The good news is that the price point is pretty low, so maybe not such a risk to buy.

17 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I read Girsan Onions and I thought, “Never tried em.I prefer Vidalias”. I think I need new glasses. Or something. :D

That's okay. I read Girsan Orphans, and was quite puzzled.

8 hours ago, Pariah, SASS #26619 said:

The YouTube reviewer Honest Outlaw got one of the new Girsan Hi-Power copies (the MCP-35), and he liked it a lot. The 1911 forums seem to grade the Girsan and Tisas guns (both Turkish) as very nice entry-level guns, and most seem to think that they are as good or even slightly better quality (finish and forged frames) than the equivalent entry pistols from Rock Island Armory (which is from the Philippines). 

I am under the impression that Browning Hi Power parts work in the Girsan guns, so I suspect (but can't prove) that their 45s would use aftermarket 45 parts. If you are looking at a model specific to Girsan, it is harder to say about spare parts availability.

The good news is that the price point is pretty low, so maybe not such a risk to buy.

I've had both Tisas and Rocks, the Rocks were better made than the Tisas,  more accurate, and the Tisas did not like JHP rounds. In the 21st Century, a 1911 that won't run JHPs is sad.

8 hours ago, Alpo said:

That's okay. I read Girsan Orphans, and was quite puzzled.

We both need new optometrists. :)

I do not have one but have shot one (tan and black) and it reminded me a lot of the S&W M&P 9mm. The fact that it comes with optics is an amazing price. That said, I'm not a fan of red dot (crimson dot, green dot or any other form of dots). Most of the folks I shoot with swear by them but it's not for me. I don't know if it's because I'm a righty with left eye dom or what but I can't seem to shoot with a dot system, but that's beside the point. If this is something you are interested in trying out and haven't shot before, find you an M&P 9mm to shoot, it's very similar and most ranges will have one to rent, some may even have a dot system to try it with. Hope this helps

The red dot optics are very common in competition and seen to be quite sturdy and reliable nowadays. Not as foolproof as iron sights of course! 

A number of folks set their sights up for "co-witnessing", where the iron sights can be used if the red dot optic fails.

9 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

I broke down and got one today

Red dot, not girsan 

Resistance is futile.

I didn’t feel the need for one on a handgun until I shot one . Even then I resisted until my eyes got worse. Handguns right now are going down the same path rifles once did . Hit percentage has went way up since the military started putting optics on the standard issue rifles. I also believe allowing you to focus on the target and superimpose the dot rather than the front sight just works better for the way the human brain is wired . At 5-7 yards they probably aren’t any big advantage but at 20 to 50 , at least for me I feel it’s a big advantage 

Archived