SASS Wire Forum

RIP Olivia

John E. Law

Olivia Newton-John passed away today. What a beautiful lady. 

RIP.

Many fond movie memories

JEL

Oh Man, she was one of my favorites. I had a crush on her the size of Australia when I was a teen. 
Oddly enough I was just thinking about her a couple of days ago. 

Rest In Peace, Olivia :(

One of my favorites....... "I Honestly Love You".

In E. Tennessee, we had a local radio station that would play that song about every morning around 5ish.  I would set my alarm for 5:00

and wake up to that song nearly every morning.   Such fond memories of her.

Yep, I was one of those MANY who loved her.    Beautiful lady, beautiful voice.   And always appeared to be a 'kind' person.

..........Widder

15 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Oh Man, she was one of my favorites. I had a crush on her the size of Australia when I was a teen. 
Oddly enough I was just thinking about her a couple of days ago. 

Rest In Peace, Olivia :(

You weren't the only one with a crush on her, just one of the millions...including me.

Thanks for the music, movies, memories and for being an outstanding lady.

Rest in Peace

She was certainly talented and beautiful!  She wasn’t my crush, a little too sweet for my taste, but she completely upset the country music community!!

Truly a historical impact on that industry!!  Some country artists never got over it!!

One of my favorite songs of hers was Hopeless devoted to you! That was from Grease.

1 hour ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

She was older than my momma. 

But them tight pants in Grease……age wasn’t a problem at that point.

Ok, I was thinking of those black leather pants but I wasn't going to go there but man, she filled out a pair of britches. 

RIP fine lady. 

I too, was in the ONJ camp in my teens. Had a high school buddy who worked in a record store (remember those?) who would try to stash any promotional items from MCA Records with her on it. I was a year out of high school when "Grease" came out. I did photography for my hometown newspaper part-time, for any after hours news events. Primarily bad accidents or fires. 

I caught wind of a press conference scheduled for Arnie's Restaurant in Chicago for the premier of Grease, with Olivia and other stars present. I literally begged the editors for credentials to get there. After all, I was getting out of bed at all hours to photograph catastrophes, for the princely sum of $10.00 per picture published, so I felt I kinda earned this. They agreed.

So here I was, 19 years old, going to a press conference in the big city.

What the hell do I wear?

Late night crashes/fires were easy. Pretty much whatever you wore to bed when the phone rang (home phones, remember those?) Didn't want to look like I didn't fit in to the city of big shoulders, so I trotted out my 3 piece homecoming suit from senior year. A Johnny Carson line suit. How could I miss?

Turns out the big city photographers wore the same clothes to day jobs that I did to midnight jobs. I show up in a 3 piece suit with two cameras (one color, one B&W) and a gadget bag. Everyone thinks I'm "somebody" so I get seated at a table just to the right of the podium. Eve Arden, Dodie Goodman and Alan Carr, the producer, all sat across from me before they spoke. And so did Olivia. She was gorgeous and so accommodating to the numerous Chicago radio and TV personalities who slid in for a quick picture. Got one of her with WLS radio's John Records Landecker, that I had fun with on the air later, and then sent him a copy.

The conference went for two hours, and Olivia, arms distance away, was looking tired. This was part of a multi-city whirlwind promotional tour for Grease, and the days were long. No matter who came up for a picture, she would graciously smile and pose accordingly.

She was a class act. And for some reason I miss the woman I almost met. If we said anything it was mere pleasantries. There just wasn't time. But for two hours me and my Johnny Carson homecoming suit got to sit across the table from a very talented, and pretty, movie star, that I had admired for years.

Godspeed Olivia.

She was an absolute treasure! And like every other teenage male with a pulse back in the 70's I had a monstrous crush on her!

Rest In Peace Ma'am, you will be missed.

Trivia from the radio this AM

She declined the role in Grease because she felt she was too old.  John Travolta went to her home and had to talk her into accepting the part.

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Trivia from the radio this AM

She declined the role in Grease because she felt she was too old.  John Travolta went to her home and had to talk her into accepting the part.

She was 30 yrs old playing a teenager and she looked great!

Archived