SASS Wire Forum

Hobby lathes

I need to turn a total of seven pieces of wood from 2 to 5 inches long and about an inch in diameter.  I'll be making 1/24 scale cannon (smooth bore, rifled, and a hex bore Whitworth rifle), and a mortar barrel.  This will be a one time project for a school teacher friend, so I don't want to invest a lot of money in it.

Now here's the fun part: I haven't even touched a lathe in over 50 years and can't remember much of what I once knew, so I'll need some tools to go along with this machine.  The internet has been about as helpful as a sledge hammer to crack eggs.

I need suggestions...or better yet, I'd like to find someone to make these items for me.

I have carriages and caissons, and can find the rest of the hardware and shooting accessories.

Help me out, if you will.  Thanks.

A wood lathe is a pretty simple device.  The heavier the lathe the more stable it is and the bigger piece you can turn.  How much lathe you need is always the issue.  You can turn little stuff on a big lathe but you can't turn big stuff on a little lathe.  Lathe tools can also get quite expensive and some take quite a learning curve.  Wood turning is an addiction and a money pit.  If you've got a specific design or plan, maybe I can help you out. 

IMG_2594.JPG

Too bad we have that Medicine Line between us.

I could loan you my desk cannon.

Cannon Muzzle.JPG

Check Mini Wood Lathe Benchtop MICRO Woodturning Lathe Grinding Polishing Beads Drill Rotary Tool Set Variable Speed (Standard) https://a.co/d/1oh6Efj

Also, Zyliss made a rig that would hold a drill on one end and rods (ways) with a tail stock and a tool rest.   Both inexpensive and somewhat cheap, but for what you want it should work.  20 years ago it was about 45 bucks at the fair.

Check Harbor Freight.

What about a Shop Smith!!  You can sometimes find them on Craigslist and EvilBay!!

4 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I might know someone that can make them for you. He needs to see a drawing or two before he will commit.

You might also ask Yul Lose.

What little wood turning I do I use a Smithy mill/lathe combo metal working machine. Works okay for what I use it for, don’t know if I could get the dimensions and precision he needs for his projects.

5 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Too bad we have that Medicine Line between us.

I could loan you my desk cannon.

Cannon Muzzle.JPG

The next time we talk remind me to tell you a story about miniature canons 

I don’t know about drilling hexagons, but I do know how fun it is to get an engineering intern and explain that a drilled hole in thin sheet metal is actually a triangular hole. More often than not, I have to take them out to the shop to prove it to them.  More fun than sending them to the tool crib for a left handed screwdriver to install reverse threaded screws. :D

If its a one off can you chuck it in a drill press and support the base? I know press heads are not designed for side stress but it'll work

16 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Good idea!   Or Boy Scouts.

I am suprised you are making a canon for a school teacher friend as any type of weapom or replica of one is banned in all public schools nation wide, this includes guns, canons, knives, swords, etc. no matter the material or size.

Anyway, for getting a small piece lathed, if your local high school no longer offers Shop, your county Voc. Tech School should be able to help you out, they are always looking for real world projects for their students and this is a nice one, they may even offer to do the whole project for you.

Unless your district Boy Scout Troops have a leader who is a carpenter they probably would not be able to assist.

18 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I want to know how 40 plans to machine in the twist on the hex bore of the Whitworth.

Going to split the piece lengthwise and carve the bore with an Xacto knife.  Then I'll carefully glue it back together.  Finally, I'll steam and twist the entire piece of wood to get the proper twist to the bore.  Once that's done I can turn the outer dimensions on a lathe. 

Well.let me tell you: I found some Brittania  high grade pewter models that just fit my pistol to a T.  I remember building one a lot of years ago and it was gorgeous, a bit of a pain to build and finish, but really fine looking when it was done.  These are 1/16 scale, but very detailed (including a hex bore on the Whitworth).........so i"m going to go that route instead of the wood barrels.

Thanks anyway, folks.

This is a charter school and this teacher is heavy into 18th / 19th Century history, including military weapons, uniforms, gear, tactics, maps and all the rest.

I used to do gun lectures in a public high school in Santa Ana, CA in the '70s.  That won't happen there again in my life time, but I had good responses, newspaper stories, etc.  R. J. (the teacher) is setting me up for at least one more series in his school here.

Archived