SASS Wire Forum

In 1963 I graduated from High School and these were the Top Hits of 63. On the radio, there was a daily countdown of the Top 40s, based on record sales then.  

Again, getting Nostalgic, it seems like yesterday playing these on an AM Transistor radio, or car radio.

1963.jpg.22d913be435d89016e9330de8a224e19.jpg

I was in 10th grade playing drums in a garage band. We played a few of these songs!;)

I was around 12 years old back in 63.   One of my favorite songs back then..... and still today..... is Rythym of the Rain.

A couple years back, I was checking out some history about it and one piece of information stated that Rythym of the Rain

is one of the top 10, all time requested songs for DJ's to play.   I think it was #9.

End of the World by Skeeter Davis is still one of the more beautiful songs.

YouTube keeps my memories alive.   I listen to these songs a lot.

..........Widder

I was working for the City and had just met my wife to be.

I especially remember dancing to #6 and some of the others that gave you a chance to hold your girl.

I graduated a year before you.  As I read the list I could hear each song in my head.  Thanks for the reminders!

Remember "Sock Hops"? We had one every Saturday in the school gym and this was the last song always played, also my brother who graduated in early 80s and Sock Hops were now a once  a month event, said it was still the last song played then. It was released in 62 and understand its still a favorite.

I was 10 years old in 1963.  The Corvette Stingray was the newest and most advanced sportscar in America.  The Chinese set off their first atomic bomb. JFK was assassinated.  The X15 made its maiden flight.  Gordon Cooper completed the final Mercury space flight. The USS Thresher sinks with all hands. Medgar Evers is murdered.  Push button telephones were introduced.  A postage stamp wes a nickel.  Tab and Sprite were introduced by Coca Cola.

The Beatles first American release, I Want To Hold Your Hand,  hit the airwaves the day after Christmas.

It's a very interesting list. I started high school in 1963 and am class of '66.

I remember all of those from the time, but the interesting thing is the total transformation of the music scene between '63 and '66, with the Beatles, Stones, Dylan, and lots more. Almost a total change, except maybe for the surfer music. The 'teen ballads' were gone.

10 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

It's a very interesting list. I started high school in 1963 and am class of '66.

I remember all of those from the time, but the interesting thing is the total transformation of the music scene between '63 and '66, with the Beatles, Stones, Dylan, and lots more. Almost a total change, except maybe for the surfer music. The 'teen ballads' were gone.

Don’t forget the rise of Motown during that time. In 1966 the year

after I graduated I was in a band called the Blue Eyed Souls. We did all Motown, Soul and some Blues. We worked all over because people could dance to that music. All clubs we played wanted that music not the Stones etc. 

They were all white clubs too! 

Looking at the OP’s list, I see a couple of Motown songs , the Chiffons and the Angels.

There’s a Bob Dylan song in there too!!

The Top 40 landscape was already changing and some great things happened for the next several years in Rock and Roll!  Unfortunately, like so many other things in our society, much of the music became polarized and somewhat divided.

The list brought  back a lot of nice memories.  I was 14 then, just getting interested in music.  

I expected to see the Association on the list with "Never My Love", but I looked and it was a few years later in '67.  I remember it ran at the top for months.  I still like hearing it, but I think the stirred memories are a part of that enjoyment.  

Good times then!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DUzgpB9xpyT8&ved=2ahUKEwjX77-Ipbj5AhXBKEQIHX9TBUkQ3yx6BAgUEAI&usg=AOvVaw2x89NBhZpZA7SU31j2kipb

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Looking at the OP’s list, I see a couple of Motown songs , the Chiffons and the Angels.

There’s a Bob Dylan song in there too!!

The Top 40 landscape was already changing and some great things happened for the next several years in Rock and Roll!  Unfortunately, like so many other things in our society, much of the music became polarized and somewhat divided.

Actually the Chiffons and the Angels were never with Motown but I get what you mean. They were Motown style! ;)

12 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Actually the Chiffons and the Angels were never with Motown but I get what you mean. They were Motown style! ;)

Yeah! Berry Gordy named it Motown and signed a lot of acts to the label, but many other acts played that sound before.

One outlier was Rare Earth, for which he created a separate label.

50 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Yeah! Berry Gordy named it Motown and signed a lot of acts to the label, but many other acts played that sound before.

One outlier was Rare Earth, for which he created a separate label.

Rare Earth!!! White blue eyed soul brothers!! Good group, never got real big though!

They were monsters in the Southeast!

Archived