SASS Wire Forum

GPS setting? North-up or point-of-view?

My wife and I have a running discussion when we drive.  How should the view be set on the GPS?

She prefers the view constantly rotate so that direction she’s driving is always at the top of the screen.  Sometimes she’ll switch to point-of-view (POV) so the screen is from street level looking forward. To her, if the screen looks like the turn goes left, she turns left, and all is good.

I prefer the screen show north at the top.  I guess a lifetime of paper maps has made it easy for me to put myself in the screen’s “car” and orient to the roads.  I also like that the north map helps me stay oriented to the big picture of where I’m driving.

What settings do others use?   

PS. It’s not a debate between us.  We both get there safely. I’m just curious.

North up. Occasionally I would set mine POV, but on twisting turning roads that is a distraction to have that screen flipping around as I drove. Also, if North is up you get a better perspective on your direction of travel. 

General driving with a route programmed in - POV (which I think is default).

If I want the big picture - North up.

I normally keep the screen zoomed in quite close when travelling so the reorientation doesn't bother me.

I have yet to use GPS to watch where I go when driving.  Used it to find where I am after I pull over.  But always North to the top.

Lisa used to have the Pokemon Go (?) thing on her phone and it had a pretty good map feature, so sometimes she would open it and follow along.  

I told the dealer I didn’t want any nav system. He thought I was nuts.

I use the map feature in my IPhone. I dont even look at the map, it tells me where to go! 

I've never had a vehicle with GPS in it. I guess I have GPS in Google maps on my phone but I don't use it; the screen and everything else is too small to read unless I'm sitting still and can concentrate on it. I know where I'm going and don't need it. If I did I'd get a map.

In the military planes I flew, the radar was oriented to direction of flight. In the airliners I flew with GPS or computer nav systems, the screen was always oriented to direction of flight. We had a compass ring on the perimeter so we always knew where North was in case we forgot. I always thought that was a very logical setup. I never got lost nor did I ever land at the wrong airport, so direction of travel would probably be my choice if I ever succumbed to using GPS to go downtown.

PF

Nav system??  Your truck has a nav system?  My '88 don't even have a working radio!

19 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I love ignoring the female voice. It reminds me of being married.

I always thought it would cool if I could get the Dukes voice !

Turn right one mile ahead pilgrim !:P

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I always thought it would cool if I could get the Dukes voice !

Turn right one mile ahead pilgrim !:P

There was a vendor who sold alternate voices. I think one was R Lee Ermey, “Listen up Numbnuts….”

and I did have a GPS navigator set to speak Russian.

I worked on GPS software for about five years, pretty neat stuff though I had nothing to do with navigation.

10 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

There was a vendor who sold alternate voices. I think one was R Lee Ermey, “Listen up Numbnuts….”

and I did have a GPS navigator set to speak Russian.

I worked on GPS software for about five years, pretty neat stuff though I had nothing to do with navigation.

Remember when AOL had different voices to greet you? I had Kyra Sedgwick saying, "Hi handsome, you've got mail'! :lol:

I perfer maps N up then rotate the map to match the landscape, and GPS with direction of travel up so I can follow the icon on highway ramps and turns. When our crew hiked Philmont, the topigraphical maps were N up but the backcountry camp section maps were not N up - very confusing:wacko:

Archived