SASS Wire Forum

For .44 Special lovers , an FYI heads-up

Pards , I am entering this here in the saloon because I'm not sure if it crosses some line in the other forums.

Anyway , there is a Lipsey's blue 4 5/8 in. Ruger Vaquero in 44 Special listed on GunBroker  right now with a starting bid of 900.00. The listing ends on Wednesday , best I remember.

This is not mine , I have no idea who has it listed. But it is about as common as a Unicorn. There were 500 units in this group in 2010.

I have a pair myself , they have been my match sixguns since 2010. No way I can bid on this one , but I would rather someone in our sport should have this rare specimen than some dough-ass plinker that doesn't or wouldn't appreciate what it is.

Rex :D , a hard-core 44 fan.:lol:

Prices are coming down. He started out at $950, no bids, and relisted it for $900. Another one was listed with a starting bid of $1825. :lol:

It looks like "the going rate" on the Lipsey's .44 spls is $900-$1000 right now, down a couple hundred from a few months ago.

This one's serial number is just 14 digits from one of mine.:P. No matter , I couldn't get it if it was consecutive.

Before I got the pair that I am shooting now , I had a pair of 3rd gen. Colt 44 Specials. Needless to say , I liked shooting the Rugers better; Colts went to a new home. 

Rex :D

Love those .44 specials - I had ten stainless 4 5/8"ers, but sold two of them when prices got so high. I've still got eight, two of them consecutive, plus a pair of USFA's and a pair of ASM's. The stainless 4 5/8"ers tend to bring a bit more than the other three versions when they turn up. :)

I adore 44 special guns.  I just haven't been able to connect on a pair of Single Actions yet.  Set this one to watch on my gunbroker account, and I'm counting my pennies.  

Rex, this is the original Ruger Vaquero size, correct?

2 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I adore 44 special guns.  I just haven't been able to connect on a pair of Single Actions yet.  Set this one to watch on my gunbroker account, and I'm counting my pennies.  

Rex, this is the original Ruger Vaquero size, correct?

Mark , the 44 Specials are the New Vaquero size frame. But to really make things clear , Ruger marked them with just the word "Vaquero" on the frame.:ph34r:

Rex :D

I  managed to get 44 spec cylinders for some of my 44/40 Uberti's.Shooting 44 Russian's in them.

Largo

I really like .44 spl, too, but my one .44spl-only firearm is a Charter Arms Bulldog, one of my favorite revolvers.

I shoot mostly specials in my Ruger  Redhawk .44 mag.

But .44spl ammo is not easy to find in the best of times, and I haven't seen any at all for a long time. Fortunately, I came upon a big pile of it at a LGS about 3 years ago, and bought a lot of it, 2 or 3 boxes at a time. I once asked the clerk if anybody else was buying it, and he said "you and one other guy". Eventually it was gone and I have a pretty good amount on hand. But it told me that demand was not high for the caliber.

Archived