SASS Wire Forum

Springfield, MO Gun Shops

I'll be heading down to Springfield, MO in a couple weeks for a Skeet shoot and I should have most of a day free to wander around.

Any suggestions for interesting guns shops in the area?  I haven't been down there for 30+ years and I've forgotten most of the shops I sorta knew.  The only one I kinda remember was "Gun Smoke"(?) somewhere on Glenstone.  Is it still there?

I'll probably make a stop at Bass Pro, mainly because it's just a couple blocks from where my Grandparents are buried.  I'll take a quick walk thru the museum, but I don't recall it being a very impressive gun shop. 

So, what do you recommend and where is it located?

Angus

Cherokee Firearms, located at Kansas Expressway (Hiway 13) and College St. is excellent.  Full service gun store with a full time gunsmith and engraver, and an 8 lane indoor climate controlled range, 17 yards max distance, cleared for rifles and handguns.  The owner, Nick Newman, used to play cowboy with the Southern Missouri Rangers.

Link:

https://cherokeefirearms.com/

Eagle Armory is at 1908 East Chestnut Expressway, worth a look.  They have a Facebook page, but I can’t find a website.  They had ammo before anyone else.

Doc Holliday’s Gun and Pawn in Ozark, Missouri, just south of Springfield, on the west side of Hiway 65 at Hiway 14, is also worth a quick look if you are on your way to Branson.  Better than most pawnshops.  Still see Remington #10 percussion caps in there occasionally.

Gunsmoke on Glenstone is out of business.

13 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Cherokee Firearms, located at Kansas Expressway (Hiway 13) and College St. is excellent.  Full service gun store with a full time gunsmith and engraver, and an 8 lane indoor climate controlled range, 17 yards max distance, cleared for rifles and handguns.  The owner, Nick Newman, used to play cowboy with the Southern Missouri Rangers.

Link:

https://cherokeefirearms.com/

Eagle Armory is at 1908 East Chestnut Expressway, worth a look.  They have a Facebook page, but I can’t find a website.  They had ammo before anyone else.

Doc Holliday’s Gun and Pawn in Ozark, Missouri, just south of Springfield, on the west side of Hiway 65 at Hiway 14, is also worth a quick look if you are on your way to Branson.  Better than most pawnshops.  Still see Remington #10 percussion caps in there occasionally.

Gunsmoke on Glenstone is out of business.

Nice to see you posting again!B)

Anchor Tactical is just a couple of blocks south of Bass Pro on the east side of South Campbell Ave. , in the shopping center with Westlake's Ace Hardware Store.  Nice folks, big store, 99% black guns, semi-auto rifles and pistols, clothing, some ammo, knives, Black Rifle Coffee, etc.  Think military and law enforcement stuff.  There may be a couple of concealed carry revolvers in the display case, or some kind of a trade-in.  If you are going to Bass Pro, Anchor Tactical is close by and worth a look, just no cowboy or reloading supplies however.

Elite Arms is further south on Campbell, on the west side of the street, between Battlefield Road and Walnut Lawn, in a little strip center by the WalMart.  Very small store, but they get some interesting consignment stuff in, like high-end Winchester Model 12s, and old S&W revolvers.  Also nice folks.

20 hours ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Thanks for the suggestions.

If anybody wants to add another one or two I've still got another week and a half before I start down.

Angus

On 8/7/2022 at 5:27 PM, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

The engraver at Cherokee is Jim Downing. Also a local cowboy/wild bunch shooter.

A very CAS friendly store.

Jim, AKA 'Scratch', is the President of our SASS club, The Bear Creek Volunteers in Walnut Shade Missouri. 

One heck of a nice guy!

Archived